Labradors Forums banner

21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Administrator
20,646 Posts
Me? If I could only have one sex, I'd have boys every single time. But that's by the by.
It's interesting, after many years being involved with dog training clubs I've found that so often women come in with a dog and men with a bitch! Me? after many years with dogs my first bitch coincided with my first Labrador, and I was hooked on both Labradors and bitches. I cannot imagine life without a Labrador and cannot imagine it not being a bitch.

Regards, John

·
Registered
244 Posts
Maddie said:
I don't like dangly bits.
That gave me a good chuckle! :lol:

I think for lots of people it just becomes an ingrained preference. When I met my husband, I'd not had any dogs before and he'd had a Labrador and a JRT. He insisted that we got a bitch for all the (mistaken) reasons that Diana mentioned in her post. These beliefs had been passed to him from his parents, and he never questioned their wisdom.

I would have been happy with either - but now having had three bitches, I will probably want to continue, based on the old adage, 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it!'. Having bitches has worked fine for us and husband still wouldn't consider a dog.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Very interesting, thanks!

I have to admit we didn't really consider the sex of our pup. I just knew in my head I wanted a boy (possibly at the back of my mind, I was thinking I prefer the bigger build and bitches have seasons) Others than that I didnt really consider it. Just to find a good breeder!

If we were to get a next lab I would have to base that decision on the fact we have Joey now and he is entire so it's different.

But overall after meeting different labs I dont think i'm too fussed but I do love my chunky boy!

x

·
Registered
252 Posts
I have to admit that "dangly bits" is one of the main reasons why I would always choose a bitch. Plus all the other old wives' tales. I can confirm one though which is true in my case - Shakira moults like 5 dogs! :)

?

·
0 Posts
after many years being involved with dog training clubs I've found that so often women come in with a dog and men with a bitch!
You find that with horses too, John. Women seem to prefer Geldings and Men, Mares. I've just always been different to the rest. :lol:

I had a gelding because they are generally easier to mix with other horses (less handbags at dawn moments) and as I didn't have my own land, I always had to bear that in mind. However, I much preferred the mares I looked after. They were more "quirky" and you had to compromise with them sometimes, but to me that made for a better partnership than just me doing the Telling and them doing the Doing. I liked the two way street thing 8) .

When I was growing up, all my family and family friends seemed to have bitches, barring a handful...and many of that handful did seem to conform to the male dog stereotypes (peeing up everything, humping, running off, etc), which was unfortunate. I don't doubt this somewhat coloured my view of boy dog owning, but since then I have met many a lovely boy, I'd have happily shared my sofa with.

But a bit like owning a gelding because it was the most practical option, for where I live right now, owning bitches is the most practical option; so Girls it is, all the way (for now :wink: ).

·
Administrator
20,646 Posts
I much preferred the mares I looked after. They were more "quirky" and you had to compromise with them sometimes,
Figuratively speaking, you can hammer a dog into submission and it will say, "Ok then, if you insist." But a bitch will give you that look that you know means, "In yer dreams sunshine!"

No matter what anyone says, there is a big difference in the mental processes of dogs and bitches, and it's a very personal thing which a person prefers. No one can tell you which to have, it's something you have to decide for yourself. We had a succession of dogs right back from before I was born. Why with Mandy, way back in 1972 we decided to break with that tradition I dont know. But we did, and since that fateful day it's always been bitches, always Labradors and always yellow.

Regards, John

?

·
0 Posts
JohnW said:
Figuratively speaking, you can hammer a dog into submission and it will say, "Ok then, if you insist." But a bitch will give you that look that you know means, "In yer dreams sunshine!"

:lol: Yep, that's the one and I guess that's why some people find girls frustrating, whereas I find them more interesting. Each to their own, I say :D .

·
Premium Member
1,542 Posts
I don't know why I gravitated towards bitches, it was really neither here nor there when I first got Indie, but I just felt more drawn towards them, and of course was interested in possibly getting into breeding in the future and there's not a chance in hell I'd have wanted to go down the stud dog route!!

Seasons don't bother me, but smegma would, another reason I wouldn't want to own a dog :p

?

·
0 Posts
Tarimoor said:
boy smegma is just gross :puke:
My Aloysius (Standard Poodle boy I'll get when I move to somewhere rural) isn't going to produce any of that stuff...Ohhh Noooo! :pukeright:

He's also not going to c*ck his leg anywhere inappropriate, or pee down his own front legs when he doesn't c*ck, or hump, or run off to go Bitching. He's going to be a GOOOOOOOD boy right from the start, I've already planned it and I'll get the breeder to whisper the rules in his ear several times a day, from birth.

:wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Premium Member
1,542 Posts
_Jules_ said:
Tarimoor said:
My Aloysius (Standard Poodle boy I'll get when I move to somewhere rural) isn't going to produce any of that stuff...Ohhh Noooo! :pukeright:

He's also not going to c*ck his leg anywhere inappropriate, or pee down his own front legs when he doesn't c*ck, or hump, or run off to go Bitching. He's going to be a GOOOOOOOD boy right from the start, I've already planned it and I'll get the breeder to whisper the rules in his ear several times a day, from birth.

:wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I take it you've got a pink one on order!! :p

?

·
0 Posts
Tarimoor said:
I take it you've got a pink one on order!! :p
*Gasps* 8O 8O Wash your mouth out Missus!!!! I don't do PINK!!!

Although I confess I'd love a White one :lol:, but the more practical side of me says Aloysius will more likely be Apricot or Silver (hides the dirt better, but still easy to photograph :wink: ) .

·
Premium Member
1,542 Posts
Well I just thought with all your other realistic demands about a *dog*, you know, you might as well go the whole hog and have the world's first proper pink poodle. :lol:

I think if I were to go for a poodle it would have to be khaki, or chocolate!! And it wouldn't be one of those boys with yucky smegma :p

?

·
0 Posts
Tarimoor said:
I think if I were to go for a poodle it would have to be khaki, or chocolate!! And it wouldn't be one of those boys with yucky smegma :p
If you haven't noticed, I already have THREE who sort of fit into that category :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: .

·
Premium Member
1,542 Posts
I had, of course, noticed - I'm assuming you mean the chocolate bit 8O

?

·
0 Posts
Tarimoor said:
I had, of course, noticed - I'm assuming you mean the chocolate bit 8O
Chocolate, Brown, Cafe Au Lait, Khaki (8O)...whatever folk call them :wink: :lol:

·
Premium Member
1,542 Posts
As much as I think it would be great fun to train a poodle to do gundog stuff, and a chocolate one at that (is there any other colour of dog??) I think my next breed, if I do introduce on, would be another retriever........ 8)

·
Premium Member
1,542 Posts
8O As impressed as I am by the field trialling poodle, I am thinking along other lines, possibly, although it might never happen!

21 - 40 of 56 Posts