Labradors Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
13,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Put this in here as I'm thinking it's mainly show peeps who use yumega.

I have just started Basil on yumega. His coat has been on and off awful then ok for the past year since we moved back to the UK. Towards the tail end his fur appears sort of broken and at times his coat on his rear carries a dirty/greasy residue that his own natural oils seem insufficient to clean.
I had tried cod liver oil and oily fish but those alone didn't help.

So firstly, is yumega the miracle product it claims to be, it offers a 60day back money gurantee so I'm quite hopeful this might sort his coat?

Secondly I notice they do a yumega Plus product, has anyone tried this? It claims to help itching and i'm thinking I might give it a go for Nellie who's skin and coat are lovely looking but she is a really itchy pup.
So far the vet advised evening primrose oil for her which we've started and i'll see how that goes for a month or so first.

·
Premium Member
5,464 Posts
I didn't notice any difference when I gave it to my girls last year, but when Poppy lost great clumps of her coat after the puppies had been weaned I tried it again. Her coat showed a vast improvement - whether it would have done anyway I can't be sure.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Gillie is on Viacutan, which was recommended by the vet and he has a lovely coat. He is still a bit itchy but we think we have narrowed it down to a cereal allergy.

·
Registered
14,890 Posts
I use Yumega and yes, I undoubtedly find it has an impact on my chocolate's coats.

The Yumega Plus concept is interesting, because when I initially told them that I use Salmon Oil with the Yumega on my choc girls, they told me it wasn't necessary - (but I ignored them) - now interestingly, the YP has none other than, SALMON OIL added.

Hally's coat has always been a bit hit and miss, the texture has always been spot on, but it has lacked 'something' - the combination of Yumega and Salmon Oil had a truly incredibly effect on it :D - the texture remains correct - and now the coat is oilier and much much thicker :D

·
Registered
13,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
and now the coat is oilier and much much thicker
...oh heck Sue, I don't need Basils any thicker

now interestingly, the YP has none other than, SALMON OIL added
It does say something about the oils being finer too, though for an extra £2.50 a bottle i could just add salmon oil.

Well I've kept my receipt so if it dosan't work in 60days on Basil I shall be asking for my refund :lol:

·
Registered
14,890 Posts
Basil said:
...oh heck Sue, I don't need Basils any thicker
:lol: :lol: TBH - the first time I used any oils - Hally's coat was post litter and in a seriously dire state, almost bald in places. The first thing I actually tried was a salmon oil that Nic brought over from France with her when she came over to collect Carys.

Unfortunately, try as we might, we could not get this product in the UK - Nic tried to see if they would send it to me - but I don't think they even responded :(

I then tried various Salmon oil products available in the UK but nothing had the same impact as the French one :( so then I tried the Yumega - and that in isolation for her didn't work either - so then I got the brainwave of trying both together (I use Kronch Salmon Oil) - and woweeee :D

Obviously I stopped it when she was in whelp - and unlike the previous time, she barely lost a hair - this time I fed her on Arden Grange rather than Pro Plan - and TBH while I had her on AG I've never needed to add any oils - unfortunately - she needed to loose some weight - and the switch to Iams Light just doesn't 'do it' for her coat :( yet doesn't affect Clovers at all (strange creatures these dogs).

I am now in the process of switching Hally over to the Orijen - so it will be interesting to see whether I continue to need the oils with that - time will tell. :wink:

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
I use Yumega for Zoe and Polly and the Salmopet for Lucy.
I don't use it all the time, mainly when they are moulting so summer months.
Yes it has made a difference to their coats, for Zoe it has helped her gain her shine and hair growth in places where she was shaved or had no hair. Same with Polly....i believe without Yumega it would have taken Polly probably double the time to grow back her hair (she had mange)....the texture is getting there too but i've only been using it with Polly about 3/4 weeks.
Lucy only has salmopet because she doesn't like the taste of yumega... strange and i think it suits her better than the flax seed....i've also read somewhere that flax seed doesn't agree with all dogs. I don't see a real difference with using either yumega or salmopet for Lucy just she seems to recover quicker and grow back her coat after moulting.

The Yumega plus is very new!

The salmon oil from Fish for dogs looks good too...same as the salmopet.

·
Registered
13,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well we are only 10 days on with this stuff and I am really impressed that I do see a difference :D
It isn't yet enough of a wow that I'd want to keep buying it each month but for 10 days it's a good improvement (it says it can take up to 60 days)
The broken appearance of his coat is still there but the hairs look healthier and the greasy residue towards his back end has gone.

I don't know if i even dare say this but I think...hope...pray....he might actually be shedding a little less 8O . If this is the case I will have him on this for life!

1 more question for other users-
Basil will be staying in kennels from the weekend, I usually bag each meal portion up individually. If I plonk 5ml of the yumega in each food bag in advance will it make his food go funny? Will the oils still have their goodness and take effect? I don't want him to have mouldy food or anything by the end of the week (but am also not going to ask the kennels to put it in)

·
Registered
14,890 Posts
Glad it seems to be working :D

Sarah, the truthful answer to your question is I don't know - BUT I think I would be wary of adding it to dried food which is going to be stored for a while - maybe you could send the bottle and measuring cup over with it and ask them nicely if they will add it?

Alternatively, what about one of those little daily individual pill pots from the chemist? don't know how much they would hold, but would suspect about 5 mls :D

·
Registered
13,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good idea about the pill pots, I'll have a look at some today :)
I just want to make it as easy as possible for them.

·
Registered
6,191 Posts
Very interesting post Sarah. Cadbury's coat is hit and miss, beautiful and glossy around his head, shoulders, forequarters, but on his upper back it is dull, rather harsh and seems 'dry'. Having read this I'm now seriously considering trying the Yumega, just to see what happens.

·
Registered
13,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sophie, if you check the yumega site they do a money back guarantee if you don't see results in 60 days.

It's £10 a bottle at PAH and you'd need 2 for the 60days but I thought it was worth a go as i could always claim on the guarantee.

Cadburys coat problem sounds v similar to Basil, I think Basil just has insufficient natural oils for the amount of dirt he gets from his walks!

·
Registered
12,149 Posts
I would dearly like to find a product or dog food that would improve both of my dogs coats. One has a lovely silky thick like coat, which I am happy with, but the other one has, well a coat that I would love improved and thicker. They are both fed on csj salmon dry complete food. This food, I feel has enough oils in it. Both my dogs are black.

You can find Yumega cheaper online

·
Registered
6,191 Posts
Cadburys coat problem sounds v similar to Basil, I think Basil just has insufficient natural oils for the amount of dirt he gets from his walks!
Yes, I'm certain Cadbury's problem is a lack of oils in his coat. He looks dreadful when he gets soaking wet and then dries, his coat goes frizzy and dry and looks dull.

I'm definitely going to try Yumega.

·
Registered
13,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You can find Yumega cheaper online
Ooh can you -thanks :) Can anyone recommend a site, I had a google but they were all around £9.99 a bottle inc P&P.

·
Registered
13,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks Sue, I already did that, but the offer they sent was 20%, which by the time i'd accounted for postage wasn't really worth taking them up on.

I'll shop around a bit before the next purchase but I suppose once I choose to buy in bulk then there might be more savings.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts