Labradors Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I know there are a couple of members in our labrador community here who have told us their rescue stories, and how their labs became part of their lives.

If you have rescued a lab, we would love to hear your story and how your lab got its new home with you.

If you are thinking of rescuing a lab, let us know, and i'm sure there will be someone who can point you in the right direction, to the nearest animal rescue centre.

Anyone have any tips for adopting rescue labs?

We look forward to hearing from you.

·
Registered
29 Posts
My first lab was a rescue from the NCDL kennel. He was an overwieght, nerotic, unhousetrained black lab called... Blackie!

I changed his name to Archie, got the weight off of him and trained him to the gun and he was one of the best I've ever had.

·
Registered
21 Posts
My parents Lab Millie rescued herself really, and it isn't really a true rescue story as such, although in some ways it is :?

Millie was originally my Brothers dog and they had her from a pup, but once the pupyness had worn off she was getting less and less attention, which became a lot worse after their third child was born. Millie, dissaproving of the situation, hopped over the three foot gate and made her way down to my mothers half a mile away. She had only ever made this journey once before, months earlier, although she had gone down in the car two or three times. 8O

After they pointed out to my brother that she only ran away because she wasn't getting enough attention, they agreed that it would be in everyone's best interest if she stopped there a while.

She's still there and is now eight, I think she was three or four when she left :wink:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Treacle's extended Stay

Our bitch Treacle was a rescue dog and we would definitly do it all over again.

About 2 yrs ago a close friend lost her Grandmother which left our baby girl an orphan.

After our friend had fostered her for a while and we had got to know Bubbles (as Treacle was called back then), she came to visit for the weekend.... and hasn't left since. The kids fell in love with her and my wife's heart just melted.

Treacle is a wonderful girl, she's big, black, beautiful and very very sweet (hence the change in name, + I felt a right plonker shouting "Bubbles" in the park only to be almost bowled over by a four legged Sherman tank). We wouldn't change a thing about her.

She is our best friend,our constant companion (especially when she hears the fridge door opening) and was the guest of honour at our wedding. We've promised each other that as the kid's get older and move out, then one by one they will be replaced with a lab of each colour. Hopefully we can rescue some more loving girls, but it would be nice to have a puppy one day.

·
Registered
38 Posts
We are about to adopt Meg, a 13 week old black lab who was rescued from a puppy farm in Ireland. We are collecting her this weekend and can't wait!

Lucy.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We are about to adopt Meg, a 13 week old black lab who was rescued from a puppy farm in Ireland. We are collecting her this weekend and can't wait!
Hi Lucy,

Hope all goes well this weekend for you - all the best to you & Meg, we look forward to hearing alll about her.

Julie

·
Registered
29 Posts
We have rescued two labs from our local dogs home. Firstly I would like to tell you about Roger. We rescued him in Dec 1997. He was a lovely black lab, who we so dearly miss. He was with us for 7 yrs until we lost him last year. He was such a clever boy, whenever we would visit anyone he would tell us when it was time to go home, by barking and stamping his feet!!! He has sadly left us, but he will never ever be forgotten. Secondly after losing Rog, we went back to the dogs home and rescued Harvey our yellow lab. He has been a brilliant boy ever since we picked him up last year, he used to run off a bit when we first had him, but we had him neutered and he has come on leaps n bounds. We have had so many good times with Roger n Harvey and are glad we have rescued them.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Hi Harv
Lovely to read your stories. It is wonderful when one is able to take on a #Rescue Dog..These poor dogs are in Rescue for no fault of their own, even if they have problems, some of these problems sometimes being caused by a previous owner.
But many are there because of no fault of their owners, they have perhaps become too ill or frail to cope or change in circumstances beyond their control, and people are heartbroken to have to give up their beloved pet, imagine if you would have to give your lovely labs up??
It is not any good saying you would not, because none of us know what is round the corner.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hi Meg,
I totally agree with what u say, u never know what's round the corner. It's such a shame that the dogs end up in a home for one reason or another. It pays u to make the most of every day, and enjoy every moment that comes your way.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
But many are there because of no fault of their owners, they have perhaps become too ill or frail to cope or change in circumstances beyond their control, and people are heartbroken to have to give up their beloved pet, imagine if you would have to give your lovely labs up??
It is not any good saying you would not, because none of us know what is round the corner.
Very true Meg,

I could not even imagine what it would feel like to have to give up our Brad, it must be heart breaking for those who do not have a choice.

Julie

·
Registered
33 Posts
Oour Rescue Lab

Many of you will know about our little bundle called Diesel, but for those who don't here's how he came to live with us.

We had five dogs until 4 weeks ago, a 7 year old GSD, a black lab, Guinness, who's 4, a Newfie and a yellow lab called Phoebe who is 12 months old. We also have a BMD called Dottie, who has a rescue story of her own.. and in some was in much sadder and went through more than Diesel.

We help a local rescue centre, called Many Tears, my son works there at weekends and I home vet, foster and do anything else that I can to make their lives easier. On Easter bank holiday Monday I got a phone call from Josh to say that there was a 14 week old yellow lab that needed a foster home. he'd come in with his Mum from a puppy farm in carmarthen, she was very ill and wasn't happy to have Kilo , as he was then called, with her. I went to pick him up.

When I got there he was outside being cuddled by Sylvia, who has the unenviable task of running Many Tears. We were told he had a cigarette burn to his ear, his whiskers were singed and he had an over bite... also a deformed leg. he was a very sad and frightened little boy. he sat on Josh lap on the way home too frightened to move.

After 24 hours I couldn't part with him and decided to keep him. Nothing that was wrong with him couldn't be sorted in my eyes and I wanted to give him the best start in life I could and a forever home for the rest of his life. he was frightened of everything.... wouldn't go out , hated the dark, didn't know how to play and couldn't cope with being cuddled. How 4 weeks can change a pup. hHs ear has healed, he's fitted in like he's been here all his life. he's going out with the others, has gone swimming and made loads of new friends. His leg has sorted itself out and we think it was something to do with being locked into a tiny space with no space to exercise. he is a wonderful, cuddly, lump of a lab with a zest for life and a huge heart.. and an ability to forgive whats happened in the past and accept what lies ahead of him with open paws! he's a one in a million!

Tracey and the Gang

1 - 13 of 13 Posts