Labradors Forums banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Imagine you are ready to go out and your beautiful baby suddenly comes from outside full of mud and jump on you, or you just woke up, or you are carrying two full cups of tea. I was searching in the internet for some tips to stop Bridget jumping on me all the time and I found a very good one. Every time your lab jumps on you, just step slightly on his/her rear paws. Of course you won't crush his/her paws to hurt or to be cruel, just to make them feel uncomfortable. It really works! Regards,

Labrazil.

·
Registered
16,892 Posts
oh no im sorry but thats cruel

i have taught mine not to jump by simply saying down .... there is no need to stand on a dogs paws sorry!!!

·
Registered
880 Posts
i agree theres no point as its just as easy for you and kinder to them to teach off or divert into a sit or down, then they get praised for doing something right, theres no need to stand on dogs paws.
anna

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
I 100% agree with Clair here I am afraid - treading on a dogs paw is cruel and can not possibly help with the jumping up - your dog probably stopped because you were hurting him and he didnt like being hurt.

What happened to the old fashioned 'no' word, mine know that they dont get fuss if they jump up at us - we trained them not to jump up by simply saying no whenever they did and hey presto it worked - I would never, ever resort to treading on their paws deliberatly. Sorry :evil:

·
Registered
292 Posts
Got to say although I'm new to all this and Mario is constantly jumping up and down - he already knows the word NO and that seems to be working after only a couple of weeks... I accidentally took a step backwards the other day not realising Mario has plonked himself at my feet - I almost stood on his paw and he let out a yelp! Did I feel guilty or what! I smothered him with kisses and cuddles and felt awful for the next couple of days :cry: We're best friends now of course, but I cant imagine doing this on purpose whatever the reason. Sorry...

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What I meant wasn't to be cruel, to hurt, or to "stand" on the dogs paws ( I haven't even mentioned that), nothing of that, but just to make them feel a little bit uncomfortable. And it is not necessary to do that all the time, as after the second or third time they don't jump anymore. Regards,

Labrazil.

·
Registered
5 Posts
jumping up

hello
I wouldn`t step on Charlie feet even a little bit as he is such a big baby and i would feel so guilty i would have to kiss them better.
I find if you step back quicklie then your dog should end up on there four paws and not on you.
Also my husband discover that charlie was scared of empty carrier bags, so we would get the bag out of a pocket and wave or bash him over the head.
This soon grounded Charlie, and he still loves us.( hates the empty carrier bag)
Hope this is helpfull, from louise and Charlie.

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
This has to be the most utterly ridiculous thing I have ever heard!!!!

Firstly this is cruelty

Secondly how the h**l does your dog know why you are standing on his poor paw!!!!

It takes a little time to teach your Lab what is allowed and what is not allowed. All it takes is kindness and patience. Take it from one who owns 8 of them, who would all like to jump up at the same time. who cares if they have muddy paws, better that than sore ones.

This is totally beyond me, how anyone can even contemplate doing such a thing.

Labrazil, you seriously need to rethink you methods :( :( :(

·
Registered
45,877 Posts
Not something I`d do either, like lucy I feel guilty if I step on either of mine by accident, let alone doing it on purpose.

I try to sidestep or back away from CJ, trouble is he usually manages to get me in a confined space :lol: , down or no seem to do the trick and he is improving, just gets over excited, typical Lab really eh?

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I wouldn't use an empty carrier bag either especially if I knew my dog was scared of it .

If I did that to Buster it would only excite him and encourage him to jump up more.The Off command followed by Sit command and Wait command if need be should suffice, with plenty of praise ,treats, practice and patience.

·
Registered
7,736 Posts
Have to say after accidently stepping back on Tilly's paw when she was a pup, I also look behind me now before stepping back as she tends to be at my heels and I don't want to hurt her......

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
The answer to the problem comes from understanding the reason they jump up...... they are seeking your attention and fuss (and that from visitors etc.)..... so naturally the answer is to teach them by ensuring that whenever they do jump up they get no recognition at all. You should totally ignore them and turn your back as if they are not there - turn away and NO talking/shouting etc (as these are also forms of recognition). As soon as they are down and in an acceptable behaviour then give them attention. The key is consistancy, EVERYONE involved with the dog must do this, even during play, if you dont want the dog to jump up at all it has to apply at all times.

Hope this helps. teaching by fear only works whilst the dog remains scared of you, and do you really want the relationship beween you and the dog based on fear? Your solution is like saying that you want a young child to to learn something by inflicting pain whenever it does something wrong..... that sort of behavious is widely accepted as being unacceptable and ineffective, and it is the same for dogs.

Good Luck

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Hi Dylansdad - what a brilliant post!!!!! :D

Nothing more to say, just that I 100% agree with everything that you said - I would hate it if I was purposefully scaring my dogs, I want dogs that love me, not ones that are scared of me!

·
Registered
125 Posts
We play with Barney by touching his paws quickly, and he thinks its a game. I couldn't imagine deliberately stepping on his paws, as a form of punishment. 8O Must agree with what everyone else has said. Barney is going through a bit of a delinquent stage at the moment (9 months) so when anyone comes in who he hasn't seen for a while, he does tend to go nuts, so we put him in his crate and ignore him until he calms down, that tends to do the trick totally. He knows he's been put in there for that punishment.

Barney used to sleep in his crate, but now that he is fully housetrained etc, it is there, open and he treats it as his den, but if he's been naughty he gets "sent to bed", just like I did as a child :lol:

1 - 20 of 74 Posts