Labradors Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There was a news story this week about someone manufacturing ice cream for dogs and I remember a post here from a member who gave their dog frozen yoghurts. Is it OK to give Rufus (15 weeks) a whole tub of frozen yoghurt? I am looking for things to keep him busy for a while. I thought dogs shouldn't have milk products apart from cheese.
Any ideas please?

·
Registered
14,890 Posts
Linnet said:
I thought dogs shouldn't have milk products apart from cheese.
8O There will be those that tell you you should not give them any milk products or milk - some dogs cannot tolerate them - but for something that is meant to be a definite no-no, a suprisingly large number have milk related products with no ill effects.

Sometimes the fat in cheese can cause a squidgy bum.

I don't know about giving him a whole one - I would maybe try contacting the company who make them if there is nothing on the wrapping - but even then, some testing out first might be an idea.

Stuffed kongs frozen can also entertain for some period - and things like frozen carrots which can be a great help when teething.

Just make sure any frozen product you give has a short acclimatisation period to avoid the risk of ice burn.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I used to give Sophie about 2 teaspoons of natural yoghurt a day without any problems. However, she seemed to go off it and I now give her natural probitic treats instead.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Yogurt is a good treat supl. the cultures are excellent for the digestive tract of canines... best to feed plain... your pup will love it... just not to much per sitting...
warm regards

·
Administrator
21,501 Posts
There will be those that tell you you should not give them any milk products or milk - some dogs cannot tolerate them - but for something that is meant to be a definite no-no, a suprisingly large number have milk related products with no ill effects.
Just a few short years ago a milk meal was the norm for very young puppies! I dont actually give my pups a milk meal these days, but they do get a little milk from time to time. But then, my dogs also get the occasional Spag Bol, Chinese Sweet and Sour and Roast Beef with no ill effects. And stewed Apples and custard or Raspberries and ice cream is a delicacy!

Yes, dogs CAN live on the same thing every day, but dogs are by nature oppertunist feeders, eating what they find when they find it. If they are always fed the same thing the you can well imaging how their tummys might not be able to manage other things. But if they have been brought up on a varied diet then their tummy accepts it as normal.

Regards, John

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
i keep old yougurt pots - or use kongs - and fill with natural yoghurt... mix in some biscuits or dried food and then freeze :D

the boys love em.

If you use the little yoghurt pots, they should be ok esp if u have biscuits in there too. wouldn't give a pup of 15 weeks a muller yoghurt size portion just yet tho :wink:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts