Labradors Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so it seems that pretty much everybody opened a thread about dandruff and I might be the only one who hasn't, so here it goes...

When we got Dante he was 7.5 weeks old and when I looked at him for the first time I noticed he had some slight dandruff. It wasn't bad and I read that some dogs develop dandruff when they are stressed so I wasn't that troubled by it.

In the next few weeks, you could still notice the dandruff, but you'd have to run your hand through his coat to notice it and the vet said it would pass, so I wasn't worried again. Just to be safe, we decided to switch from Purina Pro Puppy Chicken and Rice to Acana Puppy Large Breed, which is supposed to be a better type of kibble.

As time passed, the dandruff got worse even though the coat was thick (he has black coat and white skin, but you can barely see the color of the skin if you run your hand through his coat) and shiny. When he was four months old, we started giving him Pet Phos Canin Special Pelage, which is a French supplement for coat and skin which was supposed to help. It didn't, but he started moulding so I assumed that the dandruff, which was kind of bad now, was caused by the fact that Dante was changing his hair.

After he stopped changing his hair, we noticed that he still had dandruff so we started bathing him every 3 days and we used a special shampoo, Douxo Seborrhea, for close to three weeks. The vet also recommended a better supplement for skin issues which is Biotin Forte from Canina. As you might have guessed, things aren't better so I started looking up dandruff issues on this forum.

Right now, Dante is eating a can of sardines in tomato sauce every day, with some bits of kibble. He's still on Biotin Forte and he's still on Acana Puppy Large Breed. A couple of hours ago I threw away every odorizer we have in the house and I'm thinking that I should also switch the food, but I'm not sure what to pick. Maybe try Orijen Puppy?

This is his coat after using a Zoom Groom for 30 seconds:

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It looks like fish oil is the general solution, but I'm curious how long it took for you to notice an improvement?

·
Premium Member
8,702 Posts
As your pup came with the dandruff and it looks so bad has the vet checked for cheyletiella mites also frequently known as walking dandruff. Hava a google if you want to know more about it.

?

·
0 Posts
Ettinsmoor said:
As your pup came with the dandruff and it looks so bad has the vet checked for cheyletiella mites also frequently known as walking dandruff. Hava a google if you want to know more about it.
I was just about to say the same.

It's called Walking Dandruff because if you look very closely, sometimes you can see the flakes moving. I'd definitely get him checked for this, as he's had dandruff for so long.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
_Jules_ said:
Ettinsmoor said:

It's called Walking Dandruff because if you look very closely, sometimes you can see the flakes moving. I'd definitely get him checked for this, as he's had dandruff for so long.
Hm. I was using Advantix on Dante and I was pretty sure it should prevent this kind of mites, but it looks like it doesn't. I was about to give him Frontline Combo anyway, and it looks like it also contains Fipronil, which should treat his possible cheyletiella mites.

I'll swing by the vet's office later today to make sure it's not the case and, if it is, start a treatment. From what I've read online, I should see some improvement in a couple of days. I'll also grab a bottle of salmon oil, just to be on the safe side.

Thanks all!

C

·
0 Posts
Willow had very bad Dandruff a few days after she came home, it got progressivly worse over a week or so. I changed my laundry detergent and it cleared up almost over night!

Worth trying if you havent done so already?

·
Premium Member
8,781 Posts
Carys and Betty both got dandruff as pups. Turns out was I was over feeding I just cut down and it cleared up.

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
Poppy had a bit of dandruff the other week when we went for her boosters. The vet suggested an evening primrose capsule three times a week. He also said she could have tuna or any oily fish but I can't stand the smell so capsules it is! Her coat always looks good but the bit of dandruff seems to have gone.

Susan and Poppy

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,522 Posts
_Jules_ said:
Ettinsmoor said:

I agree with the above. I should have added that I had Charlie checked for walking dandruff, but it wasn't. That's when I started using the Salmon Oil. I noticed a difference after a week or so.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I couldn't get to the vet yet to rule out the mites (when I had enough time, she had an emergency with one of her other patients), but I did remove the air fresheners, apply Frontline Combo continued to give him sardines and cut down the amount of food I was giving Dante. I also ordered some wild salmon oil which should be delivered in a day or so.

After a couple of days, the dandruff is not yet gone, but it's an obvious improvement and the dandruff flakes are a lot smaller. I'll check with the vet to rule out the mites (we also have to schedule a HD exam), but it seems like we're on the right track.

Thanks again for all the comments!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts