Labradors Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday is the day I chose to celebrate the birthdays of my beautiful girls QUE and QUEEN. It was the anniversary of their being rescued by MTR from a horrid puppyfarm existence 3 years ago.

I was immediately taken with them, and also horrified at Que's furless bum which was questioned by Becs on here. She (Que :lol: ) had had her fur burnt away by urine. The girls were quickly taken into foster over in Somerset, where they joined Rosemary's happy family of labradors. I never dreamt then that I would ever be able to take them home with me.

After a couple of months I arranged to go and see them, taking my lovely Jazz and newly-adopted Feather. I fell in love with them when we met, (and with the sweetest little Snowie who was also there by then). As you will all know, I went home with all 5 dogs! I hadn't been able to leave Snowie behind following her reaction to Feather who turned out to be her mum.

Anyway, Que came with what was believed to be an abscess between her toes. It turned out to be a cancer which required amputation of the 2 toes. She had this surgery, and many others during her time with me, and always recovered well. She made firm friends with the vets.

Queen had no health problems for nearly a year, and then she had a series of three different cancers on four separate occasions over the following 18 months. She was always very dopey after general anaesthetics for a few days, unlike Que who was chirpy.

It took me about 3 months to tell my mother about Que, Queen and Snowies' arrival. Needless to say she thought I was mad! After about 4 months I found their dogsitter Gill. Gill immediately called them her "angels". They all love Gill and are pleased to see her when I go away without them.

Since my girls went home with me they have had the life they deserved. Que would have been a very naughty puppy. When she had her toes amputated, they were bandaged for weeks, and if I was in the study on the computer (LF), I would hear her sneaking around the kitchen, probably looking for food! When challenged, she'd stand there, looking at you with those innocent eyes, head tilted to one side, but she didn't run off! She stole and ate 9 remote controls before either I lost count, or the kids learnt to put them out of reach! She stole food when she could, and even spent a night in hospital in Derby 6 weeks ago as she'd raided her dried food bag. I rang our ER vets, who said no drinking, keep her quiet and watch her very carefully. Que cheerfully went round my mother's garden and drank from the birdbaths and fishpond. As she swelled alarmingly, I had to find a hospital to take her in for observation. She joined 4 other labradors who were all also in for eating things they shouldn't.

Queen on the other hand wasn't naughty. She just wanted to be right beside you all the time. She was difficult to photograph as she had her nose in the camera all the time.

In their early days at home, they didn't know what a walk in the country was. They got from no walks to doing a mile twice a day. At first, Queen wouldn't go out in the rain. That didn't last long, but she never got over her dislike of puddles. Que liked all water, the dirtier the better. I kept them on a lead at first, and they would walk along looking up at me! Then one time, something caught their attention, and it was noses to the ground ever after. Sniffing rabbits, foxes, dead birds was more interesting than me! Queen was very taken with the neighbours' cat. It was well worth a chase on many occasions, as was a stupid bunny or two. Que couldn't care less while there was plenty of rabbit poo to eat.

Early this year they had their one and only experience of snow. Both were very perplexed by it at first, but then tried for ages to catch some of the large flakes. It was hilarious, and for once they were fairly well camoflaged.

They both had many holidays in Gloucestershire, and I'm pleased that they both got there within two weeks of their deaths. Que would play in the mud and river, and Queen would sleep in the sun and give passing swans a bit of a fright.

I feel so honoured that their time with me, although too short, was packed with delight as they experienced everything a lab should have- warmth, company, food, comfort, love and belonging. They have given me so much pleasure, and memories to treasure for a lifetime. I miss them terribly at the moment.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY QUE. HAPPY BIRTHDAY QUEEN.

·
Registered
9,405 Posts
Happy birthday Que and Queen, I hope you are having lovely scrummy birthday cake at the bridge with our other furbabies and having a huge party :D

But the story of their life before you Shirley had me :cry: :cry: :cry:

You are heroine for giving the girls the life they so deserved :)

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Happy Birthday to Que and Queen. Its lovely to hear about their life with you Shirley such special girls found a very special person to show them what life could be like x

·
Premium Member
15,716 Posts
Happy Birthday Que and Queen. 2 very specials girls who lived out their days with a very special lady. Thinking of you Shirley xxx

·
Registered
6,133 Posts
Happy Birthday lovely girls. Yes Shirley you were lucky to have two such wonderful characters and I'll bet they knew every day with you how lucky they were to have found such a special mum. x

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
awww shirley, that post made me :cry: :cry:

thinking of you and your girls, am sure they will be having a party at the bridge!!!

love jan and rubes xxx

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Shirley, what a truely wonderful story!!! Que & Queen were very lucky to have met you and vise-versa.

Happy Birthday beautiful girls xx

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
what a wonderful tribute to them. I feel I know your beautiful dogs, you write with such love and affection of them that I almost feel I could have touched them.

They were indeed very lucky to have had you for their owner. Mad? to go from two to five dogs in one go? maybe... but I would consider it BLESSED!

Your post has made me cry, the content over flowed with warmth.

Thinking of you and your girls
Love Heidi

·
Registered
13,264 Posts
Aw Shirley that was lovely to read. Having Maggie i know how deeply these special girls get into our hearts ..............very different feelings :D

Feel very, very honoured to be able to say i meet your darling girls :D

Thought about the girls yesterday at Rendlesham when we had a toast and let the balloons go :D

Happy birthday girls hope you're having fun over the bridge xxx

Huge hug for you Shirley xxxxxxxxxxxx

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
Happy Birthday to your darling girls at the Bridge, forever young once more

Thinking of you hun, huge cuddles from all of us

xoxo

·
Registered
7,826 Posts
What a lovely tribute Shirley. You gave these girls life when they needed it most and for that they gave you a life full of wonderful memories
Hope your having lots of fun girls at the bridge xx

·
Registered
10,127 Posts
Que and Queen were such beautiful girls, who touched so many hearts. Whenever I met them (and I always picture them lying in your kitchen at Fairford, like sealions sunbathing on the beach!) they radiated peace and contentment.

No dogs should ever had had the life that Que and Queen had for the first years of your life, but every dog deserves the kind of life you gave them Shirley. You always totally accepted them for who and what they were, and never asked more of them than what they could happily give you. It was a match made in heaven!

Happy birthday Que and Queen.

Lots of love,
Becs and The Gang xxxxX

1 - 15 of 15 Posts