Labradors Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can you tell me if it is ok for yellow labs to be produced from 2 choc labs as i am no expert in this field. A choc lab had 4 pups, one sadly died. There are 2 yellow and 1 choc in the letter. The choc is absolutely adorable. I am asking because the muzzle under the nose and lips are a brown pinkish colour as well as under the eyes instead of black. Is this colour going to stay or will they turn black?

The grandparents are Brockwoods? which have also got Rocheby as the gg parents. The dame is lawnswood? from what we can remember?

Any help you can give asap would be appreciated as we have some pups to see in sheffield hopefully tomorrow, but we dont know if they are all sold as the owners are back from judging tomorrow so i am anxiously awaiting a call from them. Someone is going to see the pups we saw today on tuesday so we need to quick in response cos i know the ones we saw today will be scooped up quickly.

Mail me on [email protected] as i will get the post much quicker than on here.

Love Hazelx

·
Administrator
20,707 Posts
Yes it is possible with a certain choc gene for both chocs and yellows to appear in the litter. It is also possible for the poor pigmentation which you have seen. This is the reason why I would always say that choc to choc mating is not a good idea. It can go OK or not depending on the genetics of the dog and few breeders really know what they have.

Regatds, John

·
Registered
12,149 Posts
hiya

It could also be in my thinking ,characteristics skipping generations maybe that has something also to do with colour lol :?

·
Registered
5 Posts
hiya I am new to the breed and just getting to grips with the ins and outs. I always thought you should breed choc to choc I was told that yellow to choc produces a bleached down coat? Any one tell me the correct thinking to this?

·
Administrator
20,707 Posts
The problem with choc to choc is that until recently, with the explosion of chocs, there was very few born naturally. I only knew one choc personally between the years of 1960 and around 1980! Since they became so popular, carried along on the "Rare" tag, everyone tries to breed chocs. If you know your dogs then you will know plenty of black lines which carry the choc gene, if not then the "Easy" option is to breed choc to choc. Trouble is, when you do that you are at a stroke reducing the size of the available gene pool. Never a good policy.

Regards, John

·
Premium Member
8,834 Posts
I think the choc to choc breeding producing chocs seem to have been a bit hit and miss with luck bringing more hits than misses! I have been told that the best chance of contining with the choc colour is matching a chocolate to a black carry the chocolate gene. Then you should (or so I was told) get nice dark brown pups.

Most of the stud dogs we have access to in France have that sort of information readily available so it is easier to find an appropriate stud if you want to go down the "colour" line. I did have my eye on a rather nice looking (to me anyway) black carrying choc fiance for Coco called Jack! :wink: That was before I decided breeding was best left to the experts.

BTW People here ask me what breed Coco is as most people have never even seen a choccie before! The first choccies didn't appear in France until something like 1990!

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Hi...

choc are rare in India .... they are like novelty items.... But i prefer yellow though their coats dun shine...i find they are sweet faced and one can detect ticks faster lolz.... :wink:

John what do you have to say is the Sire is Yellow and Dam is Black....

·
Administrator
20,707 Posts
The black gene is dominant in Labradors Vidhya and unless the black dog also has a yellow recessive gene the puppies will all be black. My puppy's sire is black, carrying the yellow gene and the dam is yellow and the litter was split 3 black 4 yellow. As near half and half as it was possible to get.

Black and yellow mix is my prefered mating to produce good yellows with plenty of pigmentation.

Regards, John

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Thanks John....So pigmentation is important in yellow labs... any benefits of this pigmentation....????

Has Amy gal arrived yet :D ...waiting to hear all her antics...John i know you cannot post for help but you cud just post to amuse us :wink: ...It time we hear from you/...oh amy's nibbing, she hear to "COME", she won't eat :wink: :wink: :wink: .....

Good luck

1 - 10 of 10 Posts