Labradors Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rusti is only 8 months old bless him and doing well with his gundog training so far, but we've had the problem of him dropping the dummy more or less every time he comes back to me. He would retrieve the dummy fine, recall on the whistle, then drop the dummy just before I could take it from him.

Well we have been working hard to correct this and I'm over the moon to say that Rusti is now retrieving to hand EVERY time! YAY!!!! So very pleased with my boy! :D

He's also speeded up alot recently with his retrieves so another bonus! :D

·
Registered
6,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Labradash said:
Was it the socks trick?
No it wasn't socks Helen, funnily enough it was an old tea towel with a knot in it that I've been getting Rusti really excited about and playing with it in the house. Lots of short throw exercises whilst sitting on the floor with him and taking it from him as soon as he picked it up so he didn't have a chance to drop it.

Eventually he suddenly clicked that I wanted him to bring it to me and give and his reward was lots of OTT praise and another throw. We moved on to playing with it outside and then I tied it onto a dummy and went from there. I did find crouching down to take the retrieve helped also.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts