Labradors Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well now that it is Thanksgiving, it is OK to speak a little bit about Christmas.

Question: What are folks feelings regarding trees and Labs?

We used to have a tree but in the old house and we had it in the conservatory, so we could at least shut the door. George was fine with it.

Roll on three Christmases later and little Alfie is on the scene. As he was only 7 months, we did not have a tree (We had some trellising hung up over the fire place with lights and the ornaments hanging off that.) Ok as a supplemental decoration, but it wasn't the same.

So would you risk a tree this year? Downstairs is open plan, so shutting out is not a possibility. At least our ornaments are not glass (think coloured ping pong ball type ones) but worried Alfie will eat it or wee all over it.

What do you do?

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
I think you will be ok Apart from the Wagging Device on Low branches. Just make sure you unplug the lights when you go out. And Err Good Luck

·
Registered
455 Posts
We had one when Pippa was 10 months with no problems. We're having one this year with an 8 month old Jack Russell :p You'll be fine, just be careful about what you put on it just in case!

·
Premium Member
8,781 Posts
Tree tree cha cha cha. Tree tree cha cha cha

Happy thanksgiving btw.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
We always have a real tree and had no problems last year when Henry was about 6 months but i have to admit, I'm a bit worried about the tail wagging :roll:
I have said i will probably get a smaller one but know when I'm there choosing it, it will be a floor to ceiling one as usual :lol:

·
Premium Member
3,169 Posts
Would a boy dog "c*ck his leg" up it??? :lol: :lol: :lol:

He would piddle up the Xmas Tree!!
And Kill it instantly!!
And also fuse those bloody twinkly lights :lol: :lol:

Chel :oops: and Dilys :roll: xxx

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
I'm not sure what to do - Shelbs likes to check everything + sometimes they play quite rough so I'm afraid that might be Xmas disaster ;) My hubby doesn't like all of those decorations so decision is up to me but in case there's sth wrong the cleaning will also be on me :lol:

·
Registered
551 Posts
We're considering the same!

I think if we have no visitors, we should be fine. But, we're social people, so I think that would be impossible! (wagging tails, jumping even though she know's it's not allowed etc)

Tree? Maybe... waiting to see what you lot say! :lol:

Hannah & Pepper xx

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
I always have a tree. I have had a couple of small ornaments get knocked off by a wagging tail but no chewing of the ornaments or knocking it over totally.

I used to have a problem when my Snowey when she was alive because she would steal the chocolates off the tree.

As Roxy was still very young last Christmas I left the chocolates off the main tree and let my daughter have a tiny fibre optic tree in her bedroom. She decorated her tree with chocolate ornaments. Roxy didn't take long to discover the chocolates and kept sneaking upstairs to steal them. That's the only problem we've had.

My sister in laws German shepherd gave us a fright one year because he chewed some fairy lights that we had put around a cherry tree in the garden.

·
Registered
600 Posts
We had a tree when summer was 8 months and she was fine and we've had one ever since... Mind you it is sometimes a game of who can get the most baubles off the tree summer or the 3 cats.. And I have to say usually the cats win!

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
Our two boys were 10 weeks old at their first Christmas and the tree was no problem. After that first year Barney always sat and watched the lights and would ever so carefully remove any baubles on low branches and bring them to me. Simpson just pretended it wasn't there - he hated any change at all.

Last year was Poppy's first Christmas with us - her birthday is November. She wasn't really fussed with the tree at all. The cat lay underneath it knowing Poppy couldn't get him, trying to wind her up! I can honestly see more problems this year as hide and seek is their favourite game now BUT there will be a tree!

Good luck everyone!

Susan and Poppy

·
Premium Member
2,128 Posts
Ours is being bought next weekend. Ikea have an offer on £25 for the tree and £20 voucher to spend in the store. They had the same offer last year so we got a full size tree and a huge picture frame for £25. We were very careful not to do the usual Ikea thing and spend £££s on bits and pieces!!

So not too much lost if Tatze + tree = disaster!

Hubby is going for it next Friday :)

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Milo's first Christmas with me was terrible! I put up a tree and all the decorations (a bit OTT! :roll: but hey!) and by the time Christmas came, the tree had no decs on the bottom! Only from about half way up because he had knocked, chewed, played, wrecked all the decs! 8O 8O

Nowadays he doesn't touch the tree( frantically finds wood to touch!) but having said that, it may be because I have the tree in the corner and block it off with furniture when I'm out. :wink:
I NEVER put chocs on the tree after our first boy used to carefully take them off and eat them! 8O and never bothered with the other decs, only the choccies!

·
Registered
176 Posts
This is our first Christmas with Thor, and it's his birthday on the 23rd :D

Due to the kids, our baubles are plastic non shatter kind with glitter, so the worst he could do it eat them and have sparkly poop !

But he has adopted the "tree" corner as his place to nap or chew on a toy so we're going to have to have a think where to put the tree this year hmm :?

First though it's Dutch Christmas for us next Thursday 5th Dec- Sinterklaas so I have to get through that first and then we'll start English Christmas and put up the decorations..

1 - 20 of 38 Posts