Labradors Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Amber had her hip X rays under GA yesterday, and she has a deformed femoral head, the acetabulum is normal. She has the mild beginnings of some arthritis, but because the weight load has been going through her hip at the wrong angle, her knee joint is worse with arthritic changes. The other side is fine. She is to have painkillers to keep her exercising & therefore her weight down. Weekly injections of a cartilage building stuff for 4 weeks, then 12 weekly, physio and hydrotherapy. We are so lucky that another branch of our vets has a specially trained vet who does physio and they have a hydrotherapy pool. She can also do acupuncture. She is getting a full assessment by her on Thurs. We are covered on insurance up to £4000 a year (less £80 excess) for her joints, and another £ 4000 for her epilepsy. We have been advised to put her on a food she called 'JD', any ideas ? We want to weigh the advantages up against the benefits of her BARF diet. The vet reckons she is about 1 kg overweight. We are not moaning, she is a fantastic dog and totally adored, but epilepsy & joint problems in one package ? Jackpot. All I can say is thank goodness for insurance.
Helen

·
Registered
4,640 Posts
Gosh it is hard isnt it!!

Mambo (5) has a similar problem, has 4weekly catrophen injections and lots of the right sort of exercise and is doing really well!! She also has E.What sort of seizures does Amber have? Mambo has partial and some generalised.

Marianne

G

·
Oh Poor Lovey. She certainly hit the jackpot didn't she :( .

All I can say is the Cartrophen jabs have made a HUGE difference to Mojo's Arthritis. She was hopping lame when she first had them and within 2 weeks I could see a massive difference. She has been on them for 4 years now and I can tell when she is due her next dose by her movement (sort of stiff and lame) but within 2 weeks of her top up, she is back to her normal bouncy self again.

I've no idea about the JD food but personally I wouldn't change her food, instead would find a supplement to add. Mojo has the Joint Aid supplement, which adds all the things which are in the JD to her normal food :wink: .

I hope Amber becomes more comfortable really soon. XX

·
Administrator
21,512 Posts
JD is one of the Hills Science Diet foods (I bet the vet sells it!) It contains glucosamine and chondroitin which you can buy anywhere. Like Jules, I'd not change foods, but I would use a glucosamine and chondroitin suppliment. Have a look at http://www.vetuk.co.uk/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=4 Personally I use Flexivet for my Anna who is getting a bit stiff.

Regards, John

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, our vets sell Hills ! We already add an omega 3 & flax seed oil supplement to her diet, she has oily fish abbout 3 times a week, so I reckon with the other stuff we will have it covered. Thanks for the advice. My husband has looked closer at the policy & it's £4000 in total for all conditions, £750 for complementary therapies in which they count physio & hydrotherapy (strange but true) with a seperate excess. Ah well, she will have what she needs.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry marianne, i didn't answer your question. She was having grand mal fits 2 - 3 weekly, but is on epiphen 60mg twice a day now, and no fits for 4 weeks. She has just had her blood levels done in case the dose needs adjusting

1 - 6 of 6 Posts