Labradors Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I I just wanted to say a big thanx to everyone involved in teaching us how to walk Holly properly using a slip lead, she is now 99% walking brilliantly, and a pleasure to take out. I would also urge anyone who is unsure about going to take the plunge you won't be disappointed, everone was really friendly and the food was great. We will def be going again hopefully it won't rain :lol:

·
Registered
330 Posts
It was our pleasure it doesn't take too much to get them to do it how you want them to :lol: me and Steve look forward to seeing you again on the 6th of Sept if you can make it.

Keith

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
I can also echo this! Indy is now walking to heel and when she does get over excited and try to pull, a few "checks" and she remembers that actually, I'd quite like her by my side :wink:

Thank you (again!) Steve & Keith :D

G

·
Can anyone please tell me exactly what a slip lead is, where I get one and how to use it?!

I would love Rueben to walk to heel! I have bought him a halti harness and it does stop him pulling me over and when he's on his ordinary lead he doesn't pull anywhere near as much as he used to!

These leads sound fantastic but would like to know how to use one properly before I get one.

Thanks in advance!

Anita & Rueben
xXx

G

·
_anita_ said:
Can anyone please tell me exactly what a slip lead is, where I get one and how to use it?!
A Slip Lead is basically a rope version of the Check Chain. It tightens as the dog pulls, albeit it has a bit more "give" to it.

I also would love to know how you train a young dog to walk to heel using one of these. I know how to use a Check Chain (not that I use one) but that relies on the clicking noise it makes, to alert the dog that it has gone too far forward, so I'm at a bit of a loss as to what to do with a silent Slip Lead.

I do have one and have used it occasionally on Mojo who walks nicely on a flat collar but as soon as the slip so much as tightens a little on her neck, she pulls against it, fighting it. So I'm wary of using one on a young dog as obviously I'm doing something wrong.

Would anyone care to explain how to train with one and use one correctly, so we can all learn the RIGHT way? :D

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
I can't tell you exactly the method I was taught as I don't want people trying to copy without being shown first, but it involves having the lead under the chin and behind the ears to keep the head upright and prevent pulling. If you know how to use a slip lead/check chain then that should make sense :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts