Labradors Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My boss acquired a lab a couple of years ago and despite not really walking it frequently it appeared to be well cared for. Last summer he and his partner split up and he has kept the dog. He tends to work from 8.00 am throught to about 6.00pm and doesn't go home at lunch times. I asked him what he was doing witht he dog and he said that it was fine and he leaves it in the conservatory! Now, I've met the dog and she is a beautiful black lab and I am constantly worrying about her being left for such long periods. Added to that I know he doesn;t walk her either in the mornings or evenings, he just throws a ball for ten minutes in the garden and then gets her back in.

I've suggested as tactfully as I can that it is too long to leave her and that he should get a dog walker in - he said he would look into this but then told a colleague that it was too expensive (he isn't short of money I should add) Several of us in the office have raised our concerns with him but his stock answer is, 'she's used to it'. I did hear him telling someone she had torn up the carpet in the conservatory one day.

I'm at a loss as to what to do about this as he can be very unpleasant and would make life a misery for anyone he thought was meddling in his affairs...would this be classed as neglect or cruelty by the RSPCA? I would happily reprt him if I thought it would make things better for the dog but I don;t want to make things worse for her. I'm sure he would suspect one of us in the office if he was reprted which could make our lives very difficult...I think he is about a year away from retirement which I suppose will be better for her then as he will be at home more. Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
793 Posts
She is being housed, she is being fed, and getting 1 to 1 play, so the RSPCA would do nothing anyway.
I know you don't like what you know, but maybe someone dos come to see to her in the time he is at work and you don't know!
If this is what the lab is used to then she will settle to it, obviously giving him the runaround from time to time chewing up the carpet, but then he will pay attention and maybe think about some of the things you have been telling him and see the error of his ways!
I hope so for the lab.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess so, but I know for 100% that no one visits it through the day as he has told us. I even offered to buy her from him and suggested he would be better with a cat but he wasn't having it. Not much of a life for her and would be better if at least he gave her a walk in the mornings and evenings.

·
Premium Member
793 Posts
Oh what a shame he wouldn't sell her to you :( that was a great gesture of you for sure! Yes I agree a walk before work and again after work would mean so much to her! I hope he dosnt punish her for wrecking the carpet!

·
Registered
171 Posts
Not wanting to add to worries but my conservatory was at 26 degrees (78f) the other day as we had sunshine and that was with the door to the house open all day but with the windows closed.
And thats in Derbyshire so it is not exactly the tropics here.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's not a proper conservatory it's kind of joined on to the kitchen so there is space for her to get into the shade and I don;t imagine even in summer it would be unbearable. It's just the thought of the poor dog having to spend 10 -12 hours alone all day mon - friday and doesn't even get a walk,just a 10 minute ball throwing session in the smallish garden. I pay some one to come down for two hours at lunchtime and my dog gets an hour through the woods before I go to work and when I get home and I still feel guilty!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts