Labradors Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
We have a 12 week old Bitch, and we are a little concerned with her on the lead. We are now taking her for short walks but it is proving to be rather difficult and concerning. We Know its only early days but basically she pulls really hard and she is in to everything around her. When she pulls we stop jerk the lead back and shout heel, we also sometimes take a couple of steps back, and make her sit to try and calm down. It also concerns us because on a few occations she has made her self sick, and it is quite upsetting to see her like this. We are currently using a normal lead and collor, Would a halti help or should we stick with it.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Pulling

Hi there

Have you tried walking in different directions?

Put the little one by your left side in a sit position, walk forward and give the command "heel". She will probably try and run past your leg but the minute it does turn in the opposite direction and give the command "heel" again, keep this up going in figure of 8 and circles until she gets the idea that it's more comfortable to be at your side than pulling away in front of you.

Throw in a few sits while doing this, make sure you have her sitting by your left leg then walk off again and give the command "heel" again.

It takes time and patience and some dogs are quicker than others to pick it up.

Halti's work very well for some dogs but i could never get Jess to accept the halti and she was always fighting it. that became more of a hassle then the pulling.

Hope this helps

Gordon

·
Registered
16,892 Posts
hi
the halti is a good harness but as i discovered to my horror 2 days ago it rubs on the dog and in my case it made my lab bleed through rubbing each time she pulled.. so i went to a large pet store and bought a body harness with wide straps tryed it out today and im very pleased with it it fastens around her body and DOES NOT go under the legs like the halti lead does (thats were it was rubbing on my lab) so depending on how much your lab pulls a wide strapped body harness is good :p

1 - 4 of 4 Posts