Labradors Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I’m concerned about puppy she’s now nearly 6 months and seems to bunnyhop when running in the house etc she’s fine and the vets have moved all her rear legs around and didn’t seem too worried.

·
Premium Member
1,438 Posts
If your vets have checked her over and aren't concerned I'd just keep an eye on her and see if there's any particular behaviour/movement you wanted to possibly check out further. I have a 10 month old pup who is a bull in a china shop, she runs, jumps and slides everywhere, pretty like her mum and her Grandma. I never thought in a million years Grandma would have good hips and elbows with how she used to treat the house like her own personal wall of death, but she has 0/0 hips and elbows, so you just never know. If you are really concerned, you can have plates taken to see what the condition of her hips and the joints in her legs are like xx

·
Administrator
20,483 Posts
Hello, :)

Obviously I cant say your puppy is fine, but what I will say, bunny hopping is not the sure fired sign of hip dysplasia that some people would have you believe. I've seen it so often in young pups when moving a little too fast for a walk, but not quite fast enough to break into a run. Think of it in terms of a horse. A horse has three paces, a walk, a canter and a gallop. Our dogs are so similar in that, particularly at a young age they use three paces. If we are in a hurry and walk just a little to fast then they either have to move their legs very fast to keep up, or they break into something very similar to a horses canter. Have a look at the video below and you will see what I mean.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you I’ve taken a video but not sure how to post it on here I’ve moved her hips around myself and not grinding or clicking and it clearly doesn’t hurt her but has dogs all my life and never been one like this

·
Administrator
20,483 Posts
Posting vids on here is not easy. My usual approach is to download them to You Tube then post the URL here.

·
Administrator
20,483 Posts
I must admit I'd not be happy with that, and would be asking for ex-rays, though I doubt your vet will do that while lockdown is still in place. But you can only ask.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah thank you she doesn’t do it all the time, fortunately our vets are quite good and will probably do an X-ray just hope it’s nothing too serious as came from a good mum and good dad

·
Administrator
20,483 Posts
She appears a little "Cow hocked" which does not help diagnosing the video.

·
Administrator
20,483 Posts
Mmm, She does not appear cow hocked there. The legs are straight, although a little wide. But that could just be the way she's standing which makes them appear a little wide, (paws further apart than the width of the hips.) so I'd not be too concerned about that.

If you go back to the video, you can see the legs are pretty parallel until the hocks, then hocks down to the paws appear to turn out slightly, which is what we call "Cow hocked." She is certainly not bad in that respect, I've seen many worse, including my first Labrador who was quite badly cow hocked. But it never had any adverse effect on her and her hips were fine right to her death as an old lady.

If you watch a dog running, during the acceleration stage the hind paws are quite wide apart, giving stability. But as the dog picks up speed the legs move closer together, almost, but never single tracking. I tried to find a vid of mine to illustrate it, but all have my dogs starting from my side, so you cant see the acceleration stage. This is my Chloe doing a memory retrieve.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah she appears to be a special dog she’s not in pain and fortunately she’s insured for a high amount so if treatment is needed she’ll get the best im going to call the vets tomorrow and send them to video and see what the my suggest she’s only 5 months so hopefully we can sort it sooner rather than later

·
Premium Member
1,438 Posts
Agree with John, her hind feet are turned out, or cow hocked in appearance. She looks similar in appearance to a pup I knew a long time ago, where the owners had pulled up at a farm which had an ad outside with Labrador pups for sale. They had no idea about health tests, and by the age of 8 months this pup had a similar gait. It wasn't helped by the fact that neither person worked, they were incapacitated apparently, but the lady walked this dog so that when it was at home it didn't have to stay in a crate. So from day dot this puppy was walked several hours a day, and ended up with a similar gait to your pup.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Agree with John, her hind feet are turned out, or cow hocked in appearance. She looks similar in appearance to a pup I knew a long time ago, where the owners had pulled up at a farm which had an ad outside with Labrador pups for sale. They had no idea about health tests, and by the age of 8 months this pup had a similar gait. It wasn't helped by the fact that neither person worked, they were incapacitated apparently, but the lady walked this dog so that when it was at home it didn't have to stay in a crate. So from day dot this puppy was walked several hours a day, and ended up with a similar gait to your pup.
Well ours didn’t come from a farm and her dad is well know Copperbirch Paddy who I believe is an excellent stud dog we try and limit her exercise and never done anything different to the dogs I’ve had all my life. I’ll phone the vets tomorrow and see if we can get her booked in for an X-ray

·
Premium Member
5,456 Posts
Yeah she appears to be a special dog she’s not in pain and fortunately she’s insured for a high amount so if treatment is needed she’ll get the best im going to call the vets tomorrow and send them to video and see what the my suggest she’s only 5 months so hopefully we can sort it sooner rather than later
The trouble is that if both hips are affected you probably won't see any lameness, which is what we associate with pain. Hopefully the vet can give you some answers.

·
Premium Member
1,438 Posts
Well ours didn’t come from a farm and her dad is well know Copperbirch Paddy who I believe is an excellent stud dog we try and limit her exercise and never done anything different to the dogs I’ve had all my life. I’ll phone the vets tomorrow and see if we can get her booked in for an X-ray
No I know your girl didn't come from a farm from what you posted, I was just posting an anecdotal tale about another dog with the similar bunny hopping. If she were mine, I'd want to know why she's got that movement, so I'd go for the x-rays as well, it might be nothing, but I know I'd feel better knowing rather than worrying about it. I really hope it's just her being a daft pup xx

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The trouble is that if both hips are affected you probably won't see any lameness, which is what we associate with pain. Hopefully the vet can give you some answers.
Fingers crossed Lynda like I say she’s insured and will do everything the vets suggest

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
No I know your girl didn't come from a farm from what you posted, I was just posting an anecdotal tale about another dog with the similar bunny hopping. If she were mine, I'd want to know why she's got that movement, so I'd go for the x-rays as well, it might be nothing, but I know I'd feel better knowing rather than worrying about it. I really hope it's just her being a daft pup xx
Yeah I hope so too she will play in the garden with my other lab and Daxie and never do it yet on the field she does it virtually straight away which is the weird thing and as said last time the vet checked she had full movement and no grinding or anything of concern but definitely going to ask for an X-ray

1 - 20 of 20 Posts