Labradors Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sky is bleeding more! :( I have been monitoring her bandage and the blood has spread right across it and come out the side a bit on to her bedding. Just a bit mind, but the spreading across the bandage is worrying me. Have phoned Vet and he is going to take a look this afternoon. Should I be worried or is it normal to have a bit of a bleed from the stitches etc. She hasn't done anything over excessive, no jumping, running or anything. She only wants to sleep and lie down. Her movements are still quite stiff. Any advice most welcome...

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
Can't advise on bleeding post spay for a dog (mine is yet to go through that), but when I've had cats spayed in the past, the wound tends to bleed just a little and scabs over around the area that's stitched.

Sounds to me like some of the stitches have opened up. I wouldn't worry too much, the vet will have her right as rain again this afternoon.

Let us know how she is. Poor wee lamb.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
i think seeing the vet will put your mind at rest, but (and my experience is with people rather than animals), it is quite normal for there to be a little "seepage" from the wound in the couple of days after the op. just as long as it is not dripping/gushing out and is not bright red. usually it looks a bit like diluted blood.

hope she is back to being her normal self soon, i found ruby was virtually back to normal a day or 2 after spay - i think it takes a couple of days for the anaesthetic to work its way through their system.

healing vibes to your girl,

love jan and ruby xxx

·
Premium Member
9,080 Posts
Having had a bitch spayed recently I'd say it's not normal

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Am waiting for DH to get back from work. Can see the Vet at 1pm. He has to travel down here as he is at another practice at the minute, so can't take her any sooner. There is more blood coming through behind the old blood, if that makes sense. A little more blood is seeping through too, and it is red, not diluted at all. I think a stitch must have definitely come loose. I know that maybe the blood probably looks more than it is, but am worrying myself silly now. DH said that Skylar couldn't get out the Vet quick enough yesterday, so I can't imagine she is going to enjoy going back today!!! :( :(

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
in that case i would try and keep her as quiet as possible, and save all the dressings/towels etc she is leaking on so you can show the vet and they can then estimate blood loss. it is so scary, but as you say, probably looks more than it is (a little blood goes a long way).

good luck later and let us know how it goes.....

jan and rubes xxx

·
Registered
6,133 Posts
I don't know what kind of stitches they used, but Wicca has the internal soluble stitches there was no bleeding. Hope all all goes well at the vet.

·
Registered
9,405 Posts
This happened when Jana was spayed, one of the stitches came away and started to bleed, the vet cleaned it and used spray on skin, she was fine within about a week (she was so hyper though, she was on sedatives to keep her calm :roll: :roll: )

Cori on the other hand sailed through her spay and you cant even see her scar :roll:

Hope Skylar is OK and sending her {{{{{healing vibes}}}}}}}}

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just come back from the Vets and thankfully Skylar is fine. The Vet seems to think that the bleed is normal, but gave her a vitimin K injection and changed the dressing. Sky was shaking like a gooden in there, poor girl. The Vet has given us his home number and told us to call if we are at all worried. He is also going to phone us later to check on her.
He is a lovely Vet.

Thanks for the replies and good wishes. I can breath a sigh of relief now... :)

·
Registered
15,284 Posts
Very glad that the vet thinks Skylar is fine - and sounds as though you have a very caring vet, excellent :flower:

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
good news.

I would keep an eye on the colour of her gums so you can maybe monitor if she is unwell inherself. If her gums go very pale then you know she may have a problem.

The gums should be a nice pink!

Also keep an eye on CRT (Capillary Refill Time) press down on the gum and the colour should return within a verbal ONE TWO. if it doesnt and is slower this does indicate slower circulation thus could be a problem.

Keep monitoring the wound also (obviously!) :wink: observe if it goes puffy, feels hot or if she is bothered more so by it.

If the blood does go clearer then that is a good sign, it should then stop after some weeping of clearer blood.

Hope she is ok, bless her, little popsy

Heidi

·
Registered
9,913 Posts
That a relief glad Skylar is well and apart from having her stitches out she wont need to go and see the nice vet again lol

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks everyone. :D

Also, thanks Heidi for all the good advice I will certainly keep an eye on those things you mentioned. Sky is still sleeping but seems ok. The wound is still seeping blood, but hopefully that will stop soon. :)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts