Labradors Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all - Mario is settling in well and is still a really good boy during the night - bless him x!

The vet gave us a sachet of worming powder which was sprinkled over 3 days on Marios meals. The last day Mario has experienced frequent and loose poos (almost runny) - could this be anything to do with the powder? Also last night he was acting very strangely - he sat in the kitchen looking up at his empty bowls and constantly barked. We made sure he had another drink and a few dried nibbles from his food but he still was upset by something??! I know labs are notoriously good eaters but he seemed to be starving! Had a good night and this morning fed him as usual (BETA Puppy) with another drink. His first poo was normal then 3 more poos within 1/2 hour which got more runny each time. He seems happy otherwise. A friend said it could be teething?

I'm seeing the vet again next week for second injection but obviously if it gets worse I'll take him along pronto. Any ideas/suggestions? Thanks. Lucy.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hiya Lucy

How old is Mario?

We have a similar problem here, Jester is 9 weeks and he had his injections on Tuesday evening and today he has runny poos.
Our breeder wormed him at 8 weeks and our vets said that they will do it again at 12 weeks.

I was just wondering if Mario has had his injections coz that can upset their tummys a bit. If not then i would say maybe the worming powder is to blame.
If you are concerned i would phone and ask to speak to the vet.

HTH
Lyndsay xxx

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Lyndsay

How did you decide on a name? How did it go picking the little one up? I was the Lucy picking up Mario end of April - he's now 9.5 weeks old. Had his first injection over a week ago and apart from being a bit sleepy for a few hours, nothing else! Hope it is the worming powder but if not, I'll take him along to vets in case. He seems OK otherwise, still playful etc. and still always ready for a meal! Thanks for replying. Lucy x

·
Administrator
20,777 Posts
At that age literally anything can upset their stomachs. Modern wormers are very powerful but far kinder than those of old. In days gone by they would "Purge" the system. We would feed nothing for a day then give the wormer and BOY! Were they loose then!!!

Unless they get very loose and continue like it I would not be too worried. It should clear up in a day or so.

Regards, John

·
Registered
16,892 Posts
hi lyndsey

yes the worming powder is probably to blame but like you say if it gets any worse take him straight t the vets make sure he has access to plenty of water :) so pleased your wait is finaly over..lol..welcome mario

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hiya Lucy

We couldnt decide on a name at first, i wanted to call him Casper, Hubby wanted Buster and the girls wanted to call him Simba and Tigger. So we finally decided on Jester coz he is so funny and he makes us laugh.
He has settled in really well considering its a mad house here and is usually pretty gentle with the girls.
Hubby went to pick him up alone as i had to take my eldest to her dance class on sat morning and i took my younger daughter with me as i sit outside the room, but hubby said that he was fine in the car, he was probably scared stiff!

Hope everything contines to go well for you.
Lyndsay xxx

·
Registered
99 Posts
When we picked up Lucca on Wednesday he had been wormed the day previously and we were told by the breeder that this had made him loose - this and the combination of the change of environment and water has made him very runny, frequent and sometimes on the verge of watery. However I checked with the vet and they too confirmed that as he seems very happy and shows no signs of illness that this is probably what it is - today things are getting a little better. I'm sure yours too is down to the worming, but if you are at all concerned it is best to get it checked out.

Sarah

1 - 7 of 7 Posts