Labradors Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone, 8)

As you'll probably agree to very important aspects of our labradors health are controlling and preventing both worms and fleas.

What products do you all use?

We have always used 'drontal' tablets to prevent worms, which are available from the vet, and a product called 'frontline' for preventing fleas.(also available from your vet)

You can buy the frontline in spray form or pipettes, in which you put droplets on the back of your labs neck.

These two products have done their job and we've never had a problem with either worms or fleas.

How about you?

Julie

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Hi Julie....

I use the same as you "Drontal" for worms & "Frontline" for ticks and fleas.... Touch wood both work excellently despite living in this HOt & Humind country frodo has no ticks or fleas ... i often get complimented for his cleanliness :D

·
Registered
13,082 Posts
We use a liquid holistic treatment called Four Seasons for the worms. Corbie has to take it on two consecutive days a month and it's working wonders and no side effects.

We haven't had to tackle fleas yet, but will also use natural products for this too which have been recommended to me.

·
Premium Member
8,834 Posts
We use Milbemax for worms (kills heartworm too) and garlic capsules (when I remember) and Frontline pipettes for ticks and fleas (monthly). Coco had a flea saliva allergy when we first arrived in France so we use Frontline monthly and she's also had piroplasmosis, a tick bourne disease which is fatal if not treated, depsite using Frontline! Can't win eh?

·
Administrator
20,708 Posts
Drontal and Frontline.

There does seem to be less dogs suffering side effects from Drontal than I hear from Panacur! Although so saying, most dogs can take either without problems but a few do have problems with any form or medication.

I have used Frontline for years, always the spray until last year when for the first time I used the spot on kind. I must say I was not happy with it and several times through the summer I needed to reapply it which was something I never needed to do in the past. Admittedly, because of what I do and where I go my dogs are possibly more at risk than most, but I am hearing that fleas are continually evolving and that some previously good flea sprays and now next to useless! I'm not sure of the facts but I have heard that the formula of Frontline has actually changed to combat that!

I stress I know nothing myself but the person who told me is not usually one for idle gossip.

Regards, John

·
Registered
12,149 Posts
Hi all,

Its Drontal for the worms, but I also give a daily dose of garlic aswell which I am finding most effective on the flea subject, I have not found any on my dogs in the years that I have kept dogs for.

I f you start giving to the puppy within the first week of bringing it home it certainly builds up some immunity to them aswell as helping to keep the animal in tip top condition.

You can give it to toher animals okay aswell

I have heard that their are some kennels that give their dogs cloved garlic instead of worming tablets :? so they must find it to be okay :roll:

Bye for now

Colette(Brighteye)

·
Registered
7,736 Posts
I use Milbemax for worms, plus garlic once a day ! And cod liver oil.
Frontline for fleas. and ticks

Someone I know was told to move onto Stronghold as it covered fox mange and additional worm infestion.

I have since found out that Frontline does but does not advertise it as it is not registered to do so.............
Rhoni

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I also use Drontal for worms and Frontline for fleas.Buster doesn't have any side effects with iether.

Kev

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Hi AlI use drontal for worms. give garlic daily seems to be good against fleas. If I have to use anything it is frontline.

·
Registered
880 Posts
vogue and richey have drontal and frontline, i do vogues frontloine every 6 weeks rather than 2 months because she swims quite a lot.

anna

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Hi all

We had been using shop bought wormers for Smudge, but I've discovered (thanks to Lab Forums!) that this is the not really the thing to do!

We used Drontal when we first had Smudge but I guess I just saw the other wormers in the pet shop one day, knew he needed to be wormed and bought them. It was easier than trying to get to the vets during their opening hours!

I will now be going to the vet for Drontal though and feel really guilty that he had those others!

We haven't used anything for fleas yet as we have not experienced them. I remember when I had cats, this was always a major worry!

All the best,
Nic
X

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Hi all...

This time i've noticed that "advantage" works better then "frontline" on Fleas.... Wonder if i can use both products simultaneously????

1 - 20 of 31 Posts