Labradors Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since having Flynn, I dont think there has been anything more confusing than worming for lungworm! Every person has a different opinion and at the vets the advice changes by the minute, even the receptionist cant keep up!

Flynn is now 5 months. The advice started out as milbemax or drontal with the odd advocate in between. Before the really bad weather Flynn started bringing in slugs, which hopefully has stopped now, but with this in mind the vet has suggested milbemax every month, but what about the advocate? I must admit Im not keen on advocate, but if it does the job that is what matters.

Why can't everyone get their act together and all give out the same information?!!!!

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
At our vets we use Advocate every month and droncit which just does the tapeworm which advocate doesnt cover, every 6 months.
I cant remember the last time i used advocate on my two though, or any spot on for that matter. If you are concerned re lungworm your best to do it every month for it to be effective

·
Administrator
20,493 Posts
Lungworm, or French Heartworm as it's also known. Lets be honest, almost no one had even heard of it until one wormer manufacturer added it to the list of things their wormer covered and started a nation wide advertising campaign! Slick work! Within weeks it was the "Must Have" for dogs!!!

Yes, it does exist, but it's not as wide spread as you are led to believe. I've had dogs for nearly 60 years and none have ever had it, which tells me something.

I'm not in the habit of stuffing chemicals down my dogs unless completely necessary, and if you think about it, wormers and flea treatments are poisons, their function is to kill fleas and worms. OK, we are told they are harmless to dogs in the correct dose, but years ago we were told by the manufacturers to worm and deflea every 6 months. Then it got to every 3 months, now every month! Forgive me for being cynical, but is that to protect the dog, or the company earnings?

Sorry but I will continue using only what I feel is needed and only when I feel I have a problem. I feel a hand on my nose trying to lead me, and I aint goin.

Regards, John

·
Premium Member
1,446 Posts
I usually worm/flea three times a year max, if I feel they need it. I live rurally, so my dogs dont' have lots of contact with other dogs and their faeces, but they do, however, have contact with lots of other types of poop. I can't think that I actually wormed or deflea'ed my dogs more than once last year, They've all just been started on reduced rations as we all seem to have a bit of extra winter padding. I do use natural deterrents in their diet as they're raw fed, I add things like mint, rosemary, garlic etc to their minced food.

·
Premium Member
2,128 Posts
Tarimoor said:
I usually worm/flea three times a year max, if I feel they need it.
Yes, me too.

I tend to do it spring, summer, autumn but don't bother for the winter.

JohnW - my vet doesn't push it at all. He has the same attitude as you. They are not all the same :)

None of my dogs has picked up fleas or worms and they mix with lots of pooches.

My Cavaliers used to pick up quite a few ticks, but I don't think anything prevents ticks anyway - so I have always checked for ticks - often. I hate them! Bleughhh!

?

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm with John.

Unless your vet can give you actual evidence of there being a real Lungworm problem (and I mean I'd want numbers of definitely affected dogs he's seen come through his practise in the last year) then I see no reason to fill and cover any dogs in toxins every month or so. We wouldn't cover our children in toxic Insecticides incase they got Lice, would we, or fill them with Parasiticides every month incase they got worms (which children do quite readily when young), we would worry what long term harm we were doing if we did, so why would we do it to our dogs?

I worm my dogs once or twice a year (if I remember) and only treat for fleas if I actually see fleas on them; and I don't intend changing this just because of some scaremongering by the manufacturers or sellers of wormers and flea treatments.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I agree with John, Jules & others. With my last dog I only de-fleaed once in his entire life - when I knew he had fleas! - and wormed once a year. (I think I might have wormed more often during his first year.)

What do you think about puppies though? Molly has had Advocat once a month so far. Not especially concerned about fleas but she does eat all sorts of things she shouldn't - including snails. When I queried it the vet said he advised me to continue for the first year and then decide what to do.

So how often do you worm puppies?

?

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
kaynine said:
So how often do you worm puppies?
I worm roughly every 3 months until about 9 months old, then twice a year until they are spayed (after their season), then when I remember; and I usually use Drontal.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you so much everyone, I do value your opinions.

None of our dogs have ever had flea treatment, the only fleas we have ever had in the house were from a kitten in the dim distant past. Better touch wood having said that!

I suppose having lost Marley at such an early age, Im feeling extra pressure on keeping Flynn safe, also I have a 3 year old grandaughter to think of.

I really stopped advocate when the vet said, dont put this on Flynn when your grandaughter is around and dont get it on your skin!! Poor Flynn!

Marley was wormed as and when I thought 'when was the last time I did that?' As you say obviously the coverage of lungworm has had a big impact.

I have a couple of milbemax tablets here that I was supposed to give him every month, but think I will now extend the time between tablets.

Thank you again, its been really helpful.

Jayne

1 - 11 of 11 Posts