Labradors Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Molly has taken to digging bomb creaters, constructing a labrynth of eneny tunnels and general destruction in our back garden.

She is with someone at home pretty much all the time (other than when my wife picks the kids up from school), she is walked twice a day, has plenty of games, but the past week she has got into major digging up of the back garden.

Any ideas as to why, or even better, any advice on how to stop this .... (I've already come up with cementing the back garden over, but my wife doesn't go much on the idea!!!).

Thanks

Mark

·
Registered
193 Posts
hmm I haven't been brave enough to let our Molly (Molly2?) have the full run of the garden, probably cos there's a (very smelly) pond at the top that is due to be decommisioned, just haven't done it yet!. So we don't have any digging to contend with, however she does stand looking wistfully over the little fence I put up at the rest of the garden....must be a like a hidden nirvana for her!

i think some dogs dig, and some don't!...not sure there is a lot that can be done about it....I may be wrong tho. It's also something she may grow out of (how vague are my answers!....sorry :( )

·
Registered
22,083 Posts
Can't remember Sam digging,Ben went through a stage but not for long but as for Dylan,he's nearly in australia,he digs anywhere,the kids next door have 2 rabbits and a couple of guinepigs and they are right opposite to where dyl is digging at the moment i am dreading him getting through,the rest of the garden he seems to dig up is where the molehills occasionally arrive,hopefully he will grow out of it otherwise the kids next door will never speak to us again.Lynne.

·
Registered
12,175 Posts
max is being quite good at the mo. hes keeping his digging to one corner of the garden. get some very funny looks in the morning when he goes to his patch as normally i fill the hole back in at night :shock: must admit the grass does look like a race track with the skid marks when he puts the brakes on when chasing his ball :roll: his biggest vice at the mo is pulling the grass out by the roots and into the kitchen shaking the dirt all over the place :evil:
im wondering if the hardware shop will give me discount on the mop heads i keep having to buy.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Harvey enjoys a spot of gardening as well. Wife is about to plant some bulbs so it was put to me that it would be a good idea if his efforts to dig over all the flower beds were discouraged!

I explained to him that the consequences of mum finding gladioli bulbs strewn over the lawn wouldnt be good for either of us! .. but, in typical Lab fashion, he chose to ignore me

In desperation I tried Plan B which consisted of hurling a can filled with stones in his direction when I caught him in the act, hoping to startle him out of his excavations. What did he do? .. thought "Ahh, new fetch toy!" and promptly picked it up, charging around the garden with great merriment before heading back to continue his digging! :roll:

Ah well, back to the drawing board .. methinks some Lab proof fencing is called for :wink:

·
Registered
8,784 Posts
Hi all,

Ben digs too! My daughters guinea pig died recently and we buried in the garden. Imagine my shock when we found the box it was in a couple of days later in our kitchen!!!!!!! 8O Luckly all was intact and my daughter at school so we reburied him and put a paving slab over the top :twisted:

Cristina and Benson :grommit:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Cookie digs at every oppurtunity she gets shes a nightmare for it, I too am hoping she will grow out of it or my neighbours aren't going to be a little upset

1 - 7 of 7 Posts