Labradors Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Besides letting them be couch potatoes, what if anything do you do with your fur babies? I do obedience trials, agility, & a little therapy work with my 2 Labs. This coming Saturday I will take my BC out to see if he has any interest in herding. He was a rescue so we will see what happens. The only one I really work with is my YF, Hunter. I take her to obedience class once a week. I also teach Beginners obedience at the training club I belong to, Tulsa Dog Training Club. www.tulsadogs.com. The club offers classes 4 nights a week plus some agility classes on Sat. & Sun. This coming week is Evaluation week for the current training session. We offer 4-11 week sessions a year with a week off between and the month of Dec. off to give the instructors a break. It is an all volunteer organization. The only compensation the instructors get is a free class the session that we teach. Everyone does it for the love of dogs. Some of the instructors have been teaching for over 20 yrs. 8)

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
wow, you put us to shame :?

the only thing we have taught Bradley so far is to sit (Completely), the down command (almost), the stay (Getting there) and he is absolutely adept at the Do anything you want command ;)

Is there any sort of best route through commands, i.e. we started with sit, then progressed on to down and stay, and we woud like to teach him drop next ?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In our classes we teach the sit first. Then progress to the down. If you want your dog to have an automatic sit when out walking with him in heel position you can teach it by just taking 3 steps and halting. Then as you come to the halt, your right hand goes to the collar, and your left hand goes to the dog's hind end. Pressure down on the butt & up with the collar. Not a lot of pressure. Do this 25 times a day. Just 1,2,3 Sit. 1,2,3 Sit. Do this for a few days and see what happens. Now on the "drop" command, do you mean for the dog to release an object that it has or to drop to the ground NOW! When your dog has the down completely mastered, then you can add the drop if that is it. I wouldn't rush your training. And remember to keep your training sessions short with a young dog. And always be upbeat. If you start getting mad, it's time to stop. 8)

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
thx for the advice labman, we will work on the sit when walking as Bradley does tend to strain at the leash when we stop to talk to people etc.

We are trying to make him learn the drop i.e. if he has something in his mouth which we want him to give us. Useful for playing with toys i.e. fetch and also when he picks up twigs etc on walks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts