Labradors Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do labs from working lines tend to be more hyperactive/have more energy than the show type?

·
Registered
234 Posts
Abby and Jake are both working lines. Wouldn't say they are hyperactive but they are certainly a lot more on the go than a lot of other labs we meet when they are out. Can't imagine them plodding along. We try to do stuff with them when we are out too, bits of heel, hunting/finding stuff etc. Have found they keep their eyes on us then. Abby loves looking for stuff to retrieve herself - she is fantastic at finding lost dog toys, empty plastic bottles, fir cones..........

Once we are home they just chill out - unless it's anywhere near food time.

Don't know if this is cos they are working and the others may be show, it's just what our labs do. :D

·
Registered
111 Posts
Dunno if it's just personality rather than type. Pip's working lines and is on the go all the time. Always retrieving, and every walk has to involve training of some kind. She can be a bit hyper at home too but then just flakes. She's one years old so this may be her age. The other working labs I know are full of energy but I'd say pretty steady.

I know Pip's mum very well who's gorgeous and calm, so I'm hoping Pip'll take after her eventually!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Tilly is from a working line aswell, i find that she is always on the go, whether its running around with her toys or out walking. Walking is a nightmare with her sometimes, she either walks nicely beside you or she pulls you the whole way :(

·
Registered
6,191 Posts
Well Cadbury has a bit of both in him, but looks more show. When he was younger he was definitely always on the go, would never stop and could be really hard to keep amused. Over the last few months he has calmed down quite a bit, now he has bursts of energy then will settle down and sleep. But he will keep going as long as you keep going and is sometimes really exhausted but won't stop, so you have to make him.

I used to consider him hyperactive, now however I realise most of his behaviour was due to age and also mental over-tiredness. He still becomes extremely naughty when too tired.

Day-to-day I would say Cadbury requires more mental than physical stimulation. He'll enjoy a walk, but it simply won't tire his brain. So training is a must and we do some most days. I think it is also why he enjoys agility, it is the physical exercise coupled with brainwork.

C

·
0 Posts
ruby is working and is either hyper or comatose. During the day she is pretty much on the go all day, she run's everywhere. But come about 10pm she's done for the day and will sleep solidly (even if you try and wake her) untill about 8am when she pings back into hyperactivity.

?

·
0 Posts
I wouldn't like to say working bred dogs are more hyperactive, as I'm sure there are many show bred dogs that fall into that category also.

I would think that working bred or even part WB would perhaps have more drive to do something and that probably involves them wanting to do something with you rather than on their own, making them more "In Yer Face" a lot of the time, unless you utilise that desire plus teach them to settle.

That said, I do think an awful lot is down to individual breeding and even individual personalities.

I find the most difficult combination is the Clever Dog with little Biddability, although this often applies more to other breeds rather than Labs and for me the easiest is the Willing and slightly "Need to be with you" types. However other people would prefer the dog that is independent and happy to entertain itself, rather than the dog that is constantly by your side (under your feet) wanting to join in whatever you are doing.

just to be controversial - is it that fit dogs are more active than fat dogs !!??
I don't think that statement is controversial at all and it would apply just as much if the Show Bred dog was fit and the Working Bred dog was fat.

I do however think the heavier, chunkier Labs probably use up far more energy just carrying around their heavier frame, so tire more quickly and easily than their often lighter boned cousins. But that has nothing to do with fitness levels or the amount of fat they carry. You only have to look at the difference in activity levels between any of the heavier boned breeds (Bulldogs, Bassett Hounds, Clumber Spaniels, etc) and compare the way and speed they move to the lighter framed breeds (Whippets, Poodles, Border Collies) to see the weight of the dogs frame does have a bearing over it's speed and stamina levels.

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
i agree with the points jules has made about a working dog having more drive and therefore the mental stimulation is v important.
I have 2 working strain. Coal was a hyper hyper puppy and into everything. He can still be naughty when over excited but he loves his gun dog training. He could quite easily be on the go all day. finn on the other hand was a chilled out pup, who takes what you give and is quite happy to lay on your feet when you stop still for more than 2 seconds.
That said he still needs to have his little grey cells active.
I also know show bred dogs who are on the go all the time, into all sorts type of dogs.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
lol - i like lively. plenty of time for me to have a ploddy lapdog when i am old and ploddy myself - and hopefully that won't be for a year or two!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts