Labradors Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

I have noticed from a few posts that some members work from home. I was just wondering what sort of things you do from home?

Do you run your own business or work at home for another? The reason I ask is that it is something that Chris and I are looking into for the future. Myself to do 'VA' work (I currently work as a Personal Assistant/General Dogsbody!) but know that more and more people are supporting companies 'virutally' in this way. For Chris, he designs websites for our company and also does a fair bit of graphic design. We're also keen ebayers, but don't think we could make it full time buying and selling (though I know people do!).

I was just curious to know how about your experiences of working from home and if it is working out ok for you. I do hope I'm not being too intrusive - please feel free to ignore my post if I am!

I know a certain young man that would be delighted if we could work from home.....not sure he'd let us get much done though!

All the best,
Nicola.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Hi Nicola
I work from home running my own business, it does suit me, but it has its down sides too. There are times when I wish someone else had the worry, I wish I could take holidays and be paid, take a day of sick etc.

I know a certain young man that would be delighted if we could work from home.....not sure he'd let us get much done though!
This is very true :D :D :D

Also I have to be very careful about how much time I spend on forums :shock: :D
Sorry it's brief - I'm supposed to be doing my accounts.
:D :D :D

·
Registered
13,082 Posts
Hi Nicola

I've worked from home for about two and a half years now. I work for a company who has a sports betting advice website and I edit the articles which have been written and maintain the photo library. It was very useful as when we decided to up sticks from the south coast of England and move up to Scotland, I was able to carry on with the same job as it's all internet-based.

I'm also trying to become a successful artist and would love to be able to do this full time (maybe one day!), so having the editing job which doesn't really take up my full working day is ideal to be able to fit in the art. I also design websites.

Of course, it seems at the moment that Corbie is my full-time work! It is a bit frustrating when he wants to play and I'm desparately trying to write an article on the weekend's rugby for example, but I wouldn't have it any other way :D I can also watch Neighbours at lunchtime and spend ages on this forum when I should be doing more constructive tasks :lol:

Remember, you only live once, so if it's something you think you could seriously do then go for it! You have to be motivated as it's all too easy to have a lay in in the morning - I'm terrible for that :lol:

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Hi Nicola,

Interesting topic. Before Dave and I sold up in the UK to go travelling, we both had full time jobs (Dave in IT Security & myself in business travel) but we also ran our own business part time (evenings and weekends) Dave's of course being his websites (designing & hosting) and myself a Childrens Entertainment Business organising parties etc! (I did have to take 3 years of before we came out however due to serious illness)

Part of our house profits have funded our travels, and now of course we have broadband on our motorhome which allows us to continue with the website design and hosting. Dave's teaching me...!!

When we return, it is our hope to be working from home, and i think it is possible as long as you have a few ideas on the go. Don't rely on just one venture to make money, especially if you have the mortgage to pay. We are hoping to open a shop when we return and are in the process of setting it up now (pet related goods) and although it takes time, it will pay of in the end.

Ebay- i think there's alot to be said about Ebay, we sold alot of our house goods on it before selling up. They do however take a large cut of the profit though don't they, and even though alot of people do it for a living, i don't think peronally i could cope with all the treks to the post office! I know when we used Ebay before, the guy at the post office used to look at me and say 'ebay again'!! lol.

If your husband is into computers i'm sure there are alot of possibilities for you, and even though it will take time to make enough to live of full time, you'll get there in the end..

Good luck with everything.

Hope it all works out, i'm sure Smudge would love to have his mummy at home! That's another thing why we won't be returning full time to work, Bradley is so used to being with us 24 hours a day, i don' think he could cope without us!!!

Julie :)

·
Registered
13,082 Posts
Have to agree with Julie about ebay - they do like their cut of your profits! I occasionally sell on there, but sometimes it's more hassle than its worth. If you find the right items to sell though, it could be a winner - but you have to research on there to find out what is selling and what isn't.

Another plus is you can take the pup for walkies during the day - sometimes I take Corbie during my lunch break, other times its later in the afternoon if he's a bit hyper :lol: !! He's also a great companion as it does get lonely not seeing people like you would if you were working in an office, on the otherhand if you're not a morning person, it's nice not having to chat to anyone first thing :lol:

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi all

Many thanks for your replies. It's great to see you making a go of working at home and it gives me hope!

I'll keep you posted on our progress on this. It's something that we both want so badly that hopefully that will drive us to make it work.

All the best,
Nicola.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Working from home...the pitfalls!

Hi Nichola

I work from home...the 'proper' job is advising on high security sites around the UK and when not away with that I write up reports etc at home. I also wrote my book at home.

The benefits are that there is plenty of time for going running and dog walks. :D

The downside is that there is plenty of time for going running and dog walks. 8O

Let me explain! :?

To avoid having too much stress in my life....when I used to work from an office, I told myself that I could work whatever hours God sends in the office...but home was a non work related area. This worked fine and life was good!

Trouble is, when I got based from home, it was kinda hard to get the 'home is not for work' mentality out of my mind.

It's so easy to potter onto the web to see how many messages you have, to do that bit of tidying that hasn't been annoying you until you have to start work, maybe I should organise all the books on the shelf in height order...maybe I should redo it in alphebetical order, that new magic trick needs a bit more practice...and so on!

So in short...working from home can be great...but you do need a bit of self discipline....more than me anyway!

Hope that makes some sense!

John

www.marsupialelvis.com A prime example of what I did when I should have been working!

G

·
I was just about to post a topic about this when I saw this one, so thought I would reply here instead. :)

I currently work from home, but it is not really something that I went into after a lot of thought and now I am having real doubts about the job I am doing, but feel slightly trapped!

My situation is that I am a health service manager, and at the end of 2003 I moved area (about 60 miles) to move in with my now husband while we saved for a place together. I handed in my notice at work and looked for something local here as I didn't want to commute.

Unfortunately the job I was going for locally all fell through and so 1 week before I was due to move, I didn't have any sort of employment to go to.

Although my old office had already filled my position, they had been unsuccesfil in filling another position that was a new role. They offered that I could do this role from home (at my new home) for 6 months while they readvertised. It seemed perfect and really helped me out, so I took it.

After the first 3 months they said that they were really pleased with how I was doing the job and would really like me to apply for the job full time. In the absense of anything else coming up locally, and because my husband and I had decided that if I was working from home, we would be able to get a dog ( :D :D ) I therefore went for the job and got it.

However, now a year later I'm really struggling. The workload has just got enormous, but because I am working from home it is not possible for me to have any administration support, and it is not possible for me to go into the office daily and have admin support there, because it is 70 miles away! I'd had various talks with my managers about this issue, but really if I am to continue to work from home, I really just have to get on with it and cope somehow.

For financial reasons, both my husband and I need to work, so it is not possible for me to not work and stay at home with Osc. But I really don't think it's fair on him for me to go back to working in an office, and either leave him for periods on his own, or with someone else during the day, when he is used to having me here all the time!

So I'm a bit stuck as to what to do. I know that the stress of my job at the moment is not doing any of us any favours, but I really can't afford to either not work, or work from home doing something not very well paid.

So if anyone else has any further suggestions for things to do from home, or possible routes to follow to find out about further options, I'd be really grateful to hear them.

Thanks, Sarah x

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Sarah

I'm so sorry to hear that you are having problems with working from home - it just goes to show that the grass isn't always greener and all that.

I'm afraid I don't have any practical suggestions for you. It's a great shame your company aren't able to offer you any admin support - it sounds a bit like you are doing such a great job that they are just letting you get on with it and don't feel obliged to help out, which is a great shame.

I can fully understand you not wanting to leave Oscar now - my main reason for wanting to work from home is to spend more time with Smudge!

I hope others here can perhaps offer some ideas.

All the best,
Nicola.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I work from home as a freelance editor (also do a bit of proofreading) - fiction and non-fiction. Ideal for having dogs, but I wouldn't say it's at all lucrative! I used to work for a couple of big publishers and got into it that way. If you are interested in this sort of thing PM me and I can tell you the best courses to do (and the ones to avoid).

Sophie

·
Registered
168 Posts
Hi

I split my time between the London office, and working from home. I find this gives a decent split between the "discipline" of an office environment, and the benefit of spending more time at home without the wasted commuting time.

Having said that, I 100% agree with John's comment about "home is a non work environment" ... I still struggle to get this out of my head, and often find I'm off walking the dog (and neighbour dogs also) when I should be working!!!!.

On balance, I would work from home full time if I could, but it would mean I would have to send the wife, kids and dog out all day so as not to be distracted .... anyway, I think Molly can be very helpful with decisions ... 1x woof for yes, 2x woof for no!!!

Good luck!!!.

Rgds

Mark

·
Registered
13,082 Posts
I've just come off the phone to my boss who said they may be winding up the website I work for. Which means I may lose my job at the end of April :cry:

Not great timing, but never is. So now I could do with another job :(

So if anyone wants their labs portraits painted now is a great time!?

I need a stiff drink!

·
Registered
168 Posts
Karen

Very sorry to hear about your situation. If we want a portrait done, how do we go about it ... if this site is not appropriate, can you e mail me (or is it called IM?) directly.

Rgds

Mark

G

·
Karen,

So sorry to hear that :(

Fingers crossed that they decide to keep going with it, or you get a bezillion orders for pet portraits and can do what you love full time.

:D

Best wishes

Sarah x

·
Registered
13,082 Posts
Thanks for your posts Mark and Sarah.

Perhaps I should take up dog sitting so Corbie could have some friends to come and play during the day? Second thoughts... one is enough :D

·
Premium Member
15,605 Posts
Sorry to hear your news :(

You mention dog sitting, its a thought . . . . I wouldn't mind doing it!

Fay

·
Registered
13,082 Posts
Thanks Fay. :)

I was just browsing the net and found this site, which may be helpful to anyone looking for home working.

http://www.homeworking.com/

I haven't looked at it properly yet, but it seems like there could be some usefu information on there and lets you know the scams to watch out for.

·
Registered
7,556 Posts
Hi Karen, sorry to hear about your job - pet sitting is something that I'm thinking about. We are hoping to move down to Devon next year and the idea of dog walking etc is interesting. I've looked at a couple of franchises, the most interesting one seems to be www.barkingmad.uk.com and another one is by anipals. If going solo, I guess you have to be a member of the National Assoc. of Registered Pet sitters, so not sure what that entails, but worth a look?
Hope everything works out,

Cheers,

Paul & Shadow

1 - 19 of 19 Posts