Labradors Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi ya

i got my pup yesterday just 8 weeks old... her place is in the kitchen, this is where her bed is and where i will try and house train her.. but as soon as u walk away from her or leave the room, she goes absolutly bananas, can somebody give me some advice on how to calm her down to stop this and also how long it will take for her to be ok about being left on her own?

Thanx everyone

Laura

·
Registered
8,784 Posts
Hi Laura,

It's very early days yet, she is used to being with her brothers and sisters and now their gone and she has been taken to a new strange place. It will take awhile to get use to things, just give her some time to find her feet and i'm sure she'll get better. Try leaving her alone for only a minute or two and then go back a praise her. Then increase the time slowly over the next few weeks. Have you thought about a puppy crate for house training? You will have to take her out to the toilet at least every hour( i even had to get up in the night, not every hour though :D ), and especially after waking up, having food and after she has been playing. Its hard work but worth it in the end. Hope she settles in well and goodluck with the house training etc.

Cristina

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hiya Christina

Thanx for the help, i will give it ago over the next few weeks and hopefully everything will be ok...

Thanx again

·
Registered
8,784 Posts
Hi,

Forgot to say if you put a toy in with your washing for 24hrs and then when you have to go out give it to your pup ,it will smell of you and help give them comfort. Also leaving the radio on helps to break the silence too. HTH

Cristina

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Hi Laura
As Cristina said, it is early days yet. Dogs are pack animals, and it is unnatural for them to be on their own, and for a puppy they feel vulnerable, so it's not surprising they don't like being on their own.
Is she only allowed in the kitchen? if so, then she will become distressed when you leave. Can you put a stairgate up so that even if she's not allowed in a room, she can see you. If you decide to use a crate, do remember to get her used to the crate first - feed her all her meals in there, play games in there, make it somewhere she associates with good things rather than somewhere she feels shut away from.
Good luck, it's hard work in the early days, but she will settle in, and the more you put in now, the more you will reap later.
HTH :)

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hiya

thanx so much for your ideas, i sure will give them all go, fingers crossed lol

I do put her in the kitchen as that is where her bed is and trying to train her, but she is allowed any where else when i am in, and yes i do have stairgate at the kitchen door so she can see us, but that still doesnt help, as she likes to know that she can touch, and sit on ur feet lol

I am sure i will get there..

Thanx again

·
Registered
113 Posts
hi,
I have my pet for 8 days now and the first 3 days it was a nightmare. THat poor kid wont stop crying for a second . I was on the verge of going mad but after the 3rd night she started to calm down and now after 8 days she only cries when she has to sleep or is uncomfortable. I bet things will get better in 8-14 days. Just hang on itll pass.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Anando

Thats good to hear, last nite was Jessies second nite at home and i thot i was gonna go mad too...i was up every 2 hours as I thot she was gonna scream the place down... lets just hope it doesnt take to long ay...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts