Labradors Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
15,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
26 Dec - please scroll down a little through the posts on this thread and you can read the Christmas update from Wilma's new 'Mum' :)

I thought some of you would like to see this lovely update from Wonderful Wilma's new home. Her original thread is here:
http://www.labradorforums.co.uk/ftopict-104892.html

These updates make everything we do worthwhile.

:love7: :cry: :love7:

*****​

Wilma has been with us for two weeks now. She has settled in so quickly and so well (even from the first night on) and is so chilled about her change of surroundings and people that Sev has coined her 'Wilma Chilma' .

Wilma is a stunningly beautiful dog with lots of interesting shades of colour in her coat. She has such a wonderful personality that we both ask the question constantly why she wasn't snatched up by others much earlier on. Aside from just being such a happy chappy all the time, we learnt pretty much right away that she is a champion in the sport of toy destruction. We had arrived at her foster home with a brand new rubber squeaky ball (which her webpage said she particularly loves). She seized it with great enthusiasm and within 2 minutes, the squeak had gone and within five, shreds of it were strewn across the living room carpet. She never got to come home with this toy! She followed this up with destroying two tennis balls the very next day.

Wilma has settled in so well, even knowing her way home on her very first walk the morning after we took her home. We have learnt Wilma pretty much has two default settings: Energetic, very bouncy play as if she were still a puppy (she is 13 1/2!), and the quiet, chilled, relaxed mode dozing on any soft surface. After behaving angelically for the first week, she has started to push her boundaries shall we say, and we have caught her several times defiantly sleeping on our bed, the single off limits location in our house, and refusing to budge when asked. It is safe to say she has us wrapped firmly around all her four paws!

She has given us so much joy and laughter already, and we are sure there will be plenty more to come. It is as if she has been with us for many months already. Being musicians, we are also pleased that Wilma appears to love music, so far as to sit/sleep right underneath the piano when it's being played, such that she can even feel the vibrations.

We have attached some photos of Wilma with us. Unfortunately the family portrait is not the best as Wilma has a tendency to be 'camera shy'. Most of the others were taken with a fast camera while she was at play being oblivious to its presence.

We are looking forward to a wonderful Christmas with her, with possibly harder to destroy toys on her Santa's List.

Many thanks for the all your work with the Oldies Club and for our Wondrous Wilma

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Thank you Angela that's a lovely update its nice to know that there are lovely homes out there for these dogs, one day there'll be a place for one of them here with me, Ellie and Bonnie when the time is right :)

·
Registered
478 Posts
What a lovely update! So glad to hear Wilma has settled well and her new family are enjoying her so much!

Before joining this forum, I never would've thought to rescue an older dog, probably more for selfish reasons in that I'd be scared of getting so attached but not having 10+ years with them. But now, I think if we ever get another dog in the future (it definitely won't be for quite a few years), we would in the first instance consider an older rescue dog that we could provide a lovely forever home to. These kind of updates make it clear how much these older dogs thrive once they're placed with the right family.

Thank you for all of the hard work you put into rehoming these older dogs so that they have the best possible life in their twilight years, despite their start in life!

·
Registered
15,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you all. It is so lovely to receive these updates about our adopted dogs. We also receive great feedback from other rescues who have found homes for their oldies through advertising them (free of charge) on our website.

Thankfully not all of our oldies come from bad situations. We have seen some dire things over the years, that is for sure, but we have also taken in dogs who have been very much loved and well cared for. Sadly people have to make the decision to rehome their dog for circumstances beyond their control. I'm sure it brings them comfort to know that their dog will be looked after in a foster home, until they are adopted (and as we know, some never move from their foster homes - the best kind of 'failure').

I've adopted a real range of dogs through from puppies to oldies. They are/have all been wonderful. I've written much about my darling Jasper in the past - there's a thread for him here, which sums up in photos, the joy of adopting an oldie and the difference you can make :)
http://www.labradorforums.co.uk/ftopict-96037-jasper.html

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
What a great update, and what a character she is. She sounds like Christmas will be pure fun in her new home. Lovely to see

·
Registered
7 Posts
Christmas Update

My husband and I are the lucky couple who adopted Wilma, and really, to say we rescued her is misleading as we think she has given us a new lease of life and done so much more for us than we could ever do for her.

Just thought I'd update you on our Christmas. Needless to say, she has been spoilt rotten! It started with all three of us opening our stockings in bed (the same once-forbidden territory bed which she has laid claim on from Week 2 with us). We started with Wilma and she seemed to know right away it was hers. She delved into it and started unwrapping the goodies herself. Tom and I were so amused, it was like watching a young child on Christmas morning.

We then did the rounds for the presents under the tree. Tom's family tradition is to go up to it in turn and pick one out, though it cannot be yours. We took it in turns to go up with Wilma to 'supervise' her picking out something. By the end of the day, she had a sizeable stash of treats and toys for presents and learnt that anything being unwrapped was potentially interesting! Her toy destruction continues. She has made considerable tears and holes in a toy labelled 'seriously strong' (present from my mum) and had a good go at the squeaky Kong ball such that those are now for closely supervised play now :D She also got other chew toys which are standing up well so far.

Tom's family has been wonderful in accepting Wilma into the family. His parents sent her a present of rawhide chews when sending down the human presents, and his aunt and uncle, who live nearby, have extended their invite to include Wilma when inviting Tom and myself for their Boxing Day dinner. I'm more excited about Wilma's invite than my own :D She's going to get a good brush and put her Christmas ribbon round her collar before going out tonight.

Adopting Wilma was the best thing we have done. It's hard to believe she's had to wait a long while for a home offer as she is a pure joy and delight. Lucky for Tom and I, I guess!

I'd attach photos of Wilma with her dapper Christmas ribbon, her stash of presents and of her delving into her stocking if I could, but I don't know how. :(

Angela, feel free to post this anywhere including the Oldies Club pages. I can email photos if you want too. Thanks so much for everything you all do at the OC.

Merry Christmas and a wonderful 2014 from us, especially woofs and licks from Wilma.

Sev[/list]

·
Registered
15,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi Sev, how lovely to see you here and with such a wonderful update for us about Wilma :) I've emailed you, feel free to send me the photos and I will add them.

Merry Christmas to you all :santa:

We are so happy that Wilma found such a wonderful forever home and, looking at your signature, I second her request :wink:

·
Super Moderator
17,438 Posts
What a super update to hear about wonderful Wilma!
I hope you all have a great time this evening!

Welcome to LF all of you xx

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
WOW!! She really is a beautiful girl.Is she really an "Oldie" I think Wilma has been telling porky pies !!!
Heartwarming to hear she's found such a loving home.....milk it Wilma!!! :D

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks for posting the photos Angela. Wilma had a fab time at the Boxing Day dinner. It turned out to be a family gathering with eight of the family plus Wilma, who behaved very well and charmed everyone. She got a box of canine 'maltesers' as a present from the hosts too!

She definitely does not look, nor act, like 13. He foster carers from the Oldies Club had to have her microchip checked twice! She's like a canine Peter Pan. We don't know her actual birthday, but decided it's April Fools Day. Or it could be Feb 29th as she was born in 2000, making her really just about 3 1/2 :wink:

She is our first rescue pet and we would consider rescues, esp oldies, each time from now on when we consider dogs in the future. For anyone considering adopting a dog/pet, just go for it!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Birthdday girl and straight A mature student

Just an update before my newbie post limit runs out. Wilma continues to be an absolute delight to Tom and myself and actually turns 14 today! :D We decided to have her birthday fall on April Fools Day after all as she can fool anyone about her age by looking so much younger. Even the vet nurse said she only looked about 8.

Wilma has turned out to be an absolute gold star 'mature student'. She didn't really know many commands when she first came, would know to sit ad give her right paw. She also had good recall. I never really thought to teach her much, but started out for fun with getting her to give her left paw. It took about 3 weeks, but after that, it seemed as if a switch turned on and she lapped up everything following that in just 2-3 short 5min sessions! She now knows how to lie down, crawl, roll over (double roll to the right at that!), do twirls, go over to wherever I point to and to high five.

But the one thing I am the proudest of her is this. We have been watching the Sport Relief Top Dog in March and I got inspired by the Bark Off agility course and decided in the craze of the moment to have a go at seeing if Wilma can do it. So two weeks ago, with Wilma just shy of her 14th birthday, I set up an agility course Blue Peter style including cardboard boxes and laundry airers as 'tunnels', included some jumps, a roundabout, a sit and stay, a bridge/ramp and even the weave for her to have a go.

Well, Wilma amazed both Tom and myself by mastering it all in just 2 days!! We have nicknamed her our 'straight A mature student'

:D :D

This has been a maiden project for Wilma and myself. I don't think Wilma has ever done agility before and I certainly have never done anything remotely similar with any of my previous dogs. Tom is crediting the teacher :p but I think Wilma is just supremely intelligent :D

Angela, I am hoping to email you a video of her doing said agility course but at the moment it is a very large file so I don't know if I am able to send it. I am trying the Google drive way but it is taking ages. We'll see.

I hope you read this, because aside from wishing to send you the video, we got a new collar for Wilma amongst the other birthday presents. Does the Oldies Club accept second-hand collar donations? I am very happy to put her current/old one through the wash and send it to you, and if I do I can put the video on a USB stick for you as well.

Again, feel free to share this anywhere you wish to. Tom and I are always keen to promote the Oldies Club!

Woofs, licks and snuggles to all from Wilma, Tom and myself.

·
Registered
15,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks so much for your post here and your email about Wilma. Happy Birthday again to your beautiful girl :love7:

I'll see if we can get the video added to our Oldies Club YouTube account :flower: I've shown it to the rest of the committee and we're all delighted to see her so loved and doing so well. She certainly does seem to be doing a wonderful job of ignoring her age :)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts