Labradors Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI

I am still, after all these months at my wits end with Loki and his food. He some times will eat it and then most of the time he turns his nose up at it.
I have kept to Nature Diet as he point blank refuses dry food. He is not ill, and if you gave him any of your food he will eat it. On the tub of Nature diet it says a dog his age should be eating 2 to 3 tubs a day I am lucky if I can get 1 and a half down him and thats on a good day!!!
Should I just stick to my guns and keep giving it to him, if i have to change again I dont know what I will be able to give him. He has always been a pain with his food, but I blame my mum she gives him bits when I am at work, I have explained she is not doing me any favours, but she is 84 so I am fighting a loosing battle, LOL, Any help and suggestions greatly received.
Thanks

Jan

G

·
Does he look well on his 1 and 1/2 packs a day? Is he thin or covered?

If he looks ok then I'd take no notice of what the packs say. I don't think I've ever fed a dog as much as it says on the guide and they have been just fine.

He is possibly one of these dogs who self regulate, so he only eats what he needs. Thin fussy feeders are a pain in the bum but well looking self regulators are usually fine, they just don't over eat. A lot of self regulators do well if you leave food down, although with wet food this is difficult and if you have other greedy dogs around, impossible. So if he does start to refuse the ND completely, you might be better off with a strong smelling (fishy perhaps), oil rich kibble and just leaving a bowlful down all day for him to pick at when he feels like it. I know this goes against all everyone tells you, but I know several people who do this and their dogs look well on this method.

Failing that have you thought about BARF, as most dogs, even the fussy ones, won't refuse bones and raw meat.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
I can totally sympathies...

Georgie, mum to my two babies, was the fussiest eater on the planet. She would look, whilst I prepared her food, looking so interested, as soon as I put it down, she sniffed, looked back at me, and left it. She would sometimes do that for days. I tried every trick in the book. i added tuna, gravy, you name it, I cooked it. I was at my wits end.

I telephoned the Royal Canin help line and was given some excellent advise. They told me to put the food down for 15 minutes, no more, no less. If she hadn't eaten it, remove it. I hated doing this but I persevered. She refused it for a few days and then she woofed the lot..

I now have four dogs, so the natural competition has kicked in and all my dogs eat very enthusiastically.

I made a rod for my own back by worrying about her not eating. I would offer her anything, just in the hope that she would eat something, anything. She new this and thought that perhaps something more interesting may come along, so she left it.

As soon as she knew that nothing else would be offered, she ate everything that was given to her.

Hope you get this sorted as I know how worrying it is.. Good luck.

Hayley x

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Hi

I have a fussy eater as well but he is improving. I also have the mother problem but she is more of a problem for my greedy boy. :wink:

Logie (GR) is a really fussy eater and I find he is only keen to eat after exercise, i.e. food is fuel unlike Ben my lab who lives for food. I usually try to leave some food down for him after a walk and usually find he eats then.

I have tried all sorts of food and although he did like Natures Diet he isn't that keen now. At the moment I've found he is quite keen on raw food and Orijen. Other things which sometimes tempt him are raw eggs, cheese and tinned fish.

I do sympathise and as I also have children who don't like eating I totally understand what a nightmare it is.

Eileen

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all your advice, I think I will stick with it`, he is not thin, his coat is soft and shiny he is full of energy and his weight last mnth was 32kg he is 1 at the end of this month.

Jan

G

·
He sounds perfect Jan :D . He is just a Lad who knows just how much he needs, without over filling himself, that's all. To be honest a lot of other breeds of dog are like this, it's just that Labs tend to be Bellies on Legs, so it makes it seem as if there is something wrong with him.....when in truth it is more wrong and unnatural not to know when to STOP eating in my eyes.

One of my sisters JRT's regularly has Self Fasting days, he'll not eat all day for one day a week, most weeks and he is in his 16th year now and still going strong, so it hasn't done him any harm and I know several other dogs who'll regularly go without a meal or two just because they are not hungry. So I really wouldn't worry. If he doesn't want his food, just pick it up, cover it and pop it in the fridge for the next mealtime. He'll eat when he's hungry. :wink:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts