Labradors Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saffy is very much in season, and has approached the stinky stage, which isn't pleasant at all! She's also been marking in the house the last few days. We're on day 10 today, since the first bright red blood.

She's finally got used to not going for a walk. I say this, but she does whine at the front door from time to time. We did consider walking at the industrial estate a few months ago so she was still getting some walks, but when we went a while ago we realised that there is a canal that runs under part of the industrial estate so didn't think it was worth the risk so nixed that idea pretty fast! We're trying to keep her mind active, so have been hiding treats in the lounge, practicing all of the commands we've been doing forever (sit, down, paws, roll over, high 5, big 10, wait, kiss, speak, leave it/take it and maybe a couple of things I'm not remembering off the top of my head) and we've also been adding a few new commands - spin, crawl, and also practicing heel work around the yard and house (on lead in the yard and off lead in the house).

I went to visit Humphrey at my parents house yesterday, and I have been skyping with them daily. My parents are head over heels in love with him and have told me that we'll have a fight on our hands to get him back :) He's settled amazingly well, and I was actually a little bit gutted he wasn't beside himself with excitement when I turned up yesterday! He was excited but not for long! My parents are finding life with him really easy!

My parents are surprised at how chilled out he is, and how well he's settled in with their routine. He is such a lazy bum and loves nothing more than constant cuddles and the odd play with their 9-year old lab. They're not impressed that he won't sleep in a basket at night and he insists on sleeping on their bed, so they've just let him do it like he does at home! Suckers!!! They were worried it'd be hard work having him 1) because we feed raw and they thought it'd be a lot of faffing around - they've discovered it's really easy and have even started feeding their lab 50% raw, 2) because he's a puppy and my sister insists on telling my parents he's boisterous, not toilet trained, etc, so although they see him regularly, he'd sort of been painted in a bad light. That was all totally wrong & although I'd told my parents this, he's proved that he is lazy and chilled out, and he definitely is toilet trained! 3) my parents have my sisters pup (2 days younger than Humph) 3 days/2 nights a week, and she's a lot of work because she never stops, so my parents expected Humphrey to be similar and hard work

My dad has been walking him a couple of times a day and his recall is pretty good most of the time, but as we already knew, he is very single minded and once he has something in his head, no amount of treats or recalling him will work! We've been working on it at home but I've told my parents not to get too stressed about it and just praise him loads when he does come back (he's only off lead in a fenced field and in their garden, which is fairly big). We can get back on top of it when he's at home and we're being consistent with him.

Apparently he's been bringing eggs in for them from somewhere, so my parents theory was that next doors chickens had been in their garden laying eggs. This morning my dad followed him into the garden because he wandered behind my dads shed...and my dad discovered loads of eggs from next doors chickens! He gave my dad 3, but apparently ate 4! I told my dad to keep an eye on him pooing in case he gets constipated!

I miss the little guy so much. Our house is so quiet and our bed is so big without him! I miss getting bashed in the face as my morning wake up call and I now have to rely on my alarm, and I miss his big sloppy kisses and his whole body wag when I walk through the front door! I knew I'd miss him, but I didn't realise how much or how quickly!

So...hopefully just under 3 weeks until we can bring him home! I'm wishing the days away so we can get him back and get back to our normal walks with Saffy too. We're hoping to book Saffys spay at some point this week too, so we never have to be without him whilst Saffy is in season again! I keep forgetting whether it's 12 weeks after her season or 12 weeks from the day her season started, so I'll need to check with the vet on that one, but she will be being spayed - I can't cope with this twice a year (not the actual season, but missing my little man)!

·
Super Moderator
17,438 Posts
Aw - he is a good boy!! Hope the weeks fly!!

I know my parents were concerned when I informed them a 14month old rescue pup called Tucker would be joining me and Loon... a rescue!... a boy!... there was sooooo much that could go wrong!! But he had them wrapped around his paw in no time!! :D

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
These boys have a way of worming their way into everyone's heart very quickly (& the girls too)!

We miss the little guy so much, but to know he's having a ball, getting lots of cuddles and kisses, going on daily walks, has a big garden to run round in, and is loved so so much, makes it much easier. If he was here it'd be crates and a military operation of closing doors and keeping the two of them separate, so being with my parents is a much better option all round!

I planned on visiting him a couple of days a week, but yesterday was the first day since dropping him off and because I found it so difficult, I'll probably try and hold off a few extra days and keep seeing him via skype every night. He wasn't bothered at all when I went last night and has been absolutely fine since, so I don't think he'll be too bothered at us not going next weekend. We'll see though. I think by Friday I'll be dying to go and see him again!

We had planned on my sister looking after Saffy for a few hours so we could both see him, but my sister let us down so it was just me that went. My hubby is desperate to see him too, so I also feel kind of mean that one of us has to stay home with Saffy, and I'm the only driver so he has to stay home as my parents are 90-odd miles away!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts