Labradors Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, Kevin my 6yo black lab appears to be undergoing another moult (although at times it feels like he's permanently moulting!) & as I've been grooming him I've noticed the hair on his hind legs/hip feels really coarse and wiry - almost as if its hair thats been singed! Further down the leg it looks like the hair is thinner or there's less of it. I can't say I've noticed this change in texture before & i think I noticed it more for it appearing to have 'thinner' hair. Does this sound like a normal moulting thing? I'd take a picture but there's absolutely no way he's standing still to let me. And I've not noticed any excessive licking or any scratching or anything so wasn't sure whether to give it a few weeks to see if it changes or get it checked

·
Administrator
20,774 Posts
A Labrador would normally moult twice a year, spring and autumn, but the problem is living in a warm house. It means that there is not the temperature difference that there would be for a dog in the wild, or kennelled outside. Consequently the almost 12 months of the year moult. The winter coat would normally be heavier than the summer coat, for the obvious reason. But again, because of the warmth in houses it is not so pronounced as it was in days of old.

Yes the coat does vary on different parts of the body. For instance, the coat on the back is nothing like as long as the feathering on the back of the thighs, which also tends to be courser. But keep an eye on the coat because it is often an early warning that all is not well. Hormone problems such as Diabetes and Cushing's can result in a very thin coat. Cushing's interestingly can also show as hair loss on both sides of the tail, about 2 inches from the base!!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts