Labradors Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I work during the day and am aware that the nights are starting to draw in, and it won't be long before it's dark when I get up and dark when I get home :cry:

Last winter, Bracken was still a pup and I had plenty to be getting on with that I could do indoors at home. However, I feel I'm now at the stage where I need to get going with various aspects of her training, and could do with being outdoors. Equally, Boots has joined my gang, and I'm keen to crack on with his training too.

Question: what do you folks do re winter training when you work during the day and really only have daylight opportunities at weekends, but also have other family commitments etc to fulfil too?

The gundog club is doing grade 2 near me over the winter and I thought about taking Bracken - but then I realised I'd really struggle to practice from one week to the next because it'll be dark in the evenings.

I don't want it to get to March/April next year and for me to be no further forward with her than am I now. So my thoughts are turning toward winter and wanting to have a clear idea in my head of where I'd like to be come spring and how to facilitate getting there!

·
Registered
29,722 Posts
I assume you don't have a job thats flexible?

I suppose I am quite lucky in that I work from home a lot and can borrow hours of daylight to go out and train in during the day and work until later in the evening as it doesn't need to be light outside for me to do the work I do. Thats how I manage to train through the winter months.

·
Premium Member
8,702 Posts
Thankfully not a problem I have any more Mo!

It has always been a problem previously though. With a dog like Boots I would do a bit of training in the dark, but thats probably not a good idea with Bracken.

I have also been known to train in the local park near a tennis court which was floodlit and on an industrial estate with lots of lighting.

In the main though training does get squeezed into the weekends - unless you can talk work into letting you do flexi time which I must admit I did as I got further up the ladder. I used to go in really really early and finish early enough to have an hours daylight to use for training.

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
I cope as i work a 4 on 4 off shift pattern so i have 4 days of daylight to use.
Is there anyway you can adjust your work hours? or arrange to take a longer lunch break??

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all. Yes, the job I do doesn't have much flexibility in terms of working hours. We can't see clients before 9 or after 5, thems the rules. I don't work near home either, so getting home at lunchtime isn't an option.

I like the idea of finding somewhere that's floodlit, and can think of just the place! There's a driving range I go to, but it also has a farm track next to it - that would do, and I'm sure the light from the range would spill over enough.

I changed jobs in Jan this year - if I'd stayed in my old job I could've negotiated my hours.... they needed me more than I needed them and I probably could've worked 5 days over 4, or started earlier/later and finished earlier/later. Wish I'd thought about that when I was drawing up my list of pros/cons on whether to stay or go :roll:

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
oh yes the driving range idea sounds as tho it'll work.

i've been known to use pub car parks (village pubs so not busy) or the local village green as they light the kids play area up in the evenings.
i have considered but not used... the local retail park car park :lol: . All the shops shut at 5/6pm but the car parks remain lit. (talk about light pollution)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts