Labradors Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oh dear... anyone got some tips on how i can get Winston to like the rain!! Funny question i know!

But hes so scared off it!! Silly boy! He hates the sound of it, he hates the feel of it and he hates the towel dry at the end of his walk!! (which i have stopped for now) He tires to pull or run back home at every moment he can!! :( But im not one of these people who gets put off walking there dog because it raining! i dont mind it!

Its so strange because when i picked him, he was the one that was trying to get in the breeders pond all the time... and i was like i want this cheeky chap!!! :lol: and other reasons as well like he picked me! came running up to me etc!

But i dunno why, i keep going over everything in my mind... trying to think of a reason and i cant! he hasnt been scared by any water or anything! He doesnt like the sea... but i havent forced it on him or anything just thought oh well he will do it when hes ready!!

But now im worried as he is shaking when he gets back from Walks!! Like hes really scared... doesnt matter how much i say good boy, well done, give him nice special treats! hes still scared!! ive even taken his Fav toy out with us and that didnt help!!

Anyone got any ideas? I dont really want to give in and not walk him in the rain as sometimes it rains all day and its such a silly thing for him to be scared off! Its only a little rain!! doesnt hurt anyone!

Thanks for any help in advance!

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
Sorry no advise for you, poor boy he really doesn;t like it. Hopefully someone will be along with a solution for you.

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know... Poor boy!! Really is scared!! :( I hate to see him like this BUT its so stupid! Rain really doesnt hurt... i know its cold but it really doesnt hurt! :(

·
Registered
14,890 Posts
It's not as uncommon as you might thing :lol:

When Hally was a puppy, she would refuse to move if it was raining :roll: Now, the looks they give me when it's raining and I just ask them to go out for a pee are completely withering (all - not just one :roll: ) Hally used to race as hard as she could - almost peeing as she was running up and down the garden :roll:

No tips really other than just trying to ignore it - but they can be funny creatures - loving water and hating rain :roll:

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
P.S My friend has offered to take her Lab (winnie Best Friend) out for a walk in the rain with me! DO you think that will help? Maybe if he see Roxy is fine in the rain he will think its fine too? Or is that a stupid idea?

·
Registered
14,890 Posts
Bella85 said:
P.S My friend has offered to take her Lab (winnie Best Friend) out for a walk in the rain with me! DO you think that will help? Maybe if he see Roxy is fine in the rain he will think its fine too? Or is that a stupid idea?
No I think it's a very good idea - there have certainly been times when I've used one of mine to encourage a youngster that something is a good idea :wink: nothing ventured, nothing gained :D

·
Premium Member
17,439 Posts
oh dear, poor Winston.

Luna thinks twice before heading out the house in the rain but doesn't mind it once she's wet.

The only thing I can suggest is adapted from desensitizing Luna to the scary vacuum and hose. You could make a recording of the rain noise to replay as often as possible at a very low volume to start with. I ignore Luna when she is scared as I think I reassured her at the wrong time and tried to reward her when she was unsure. I found it safer to stop totally! I used to use the vacuum for a short time once or twice a day and would leave it in different places around the house sometimes with a treat on it. Maybe you could walk with Winston for 5 minutes around the garden whenever it rains just to give a short, quick exposure? Have you ever tried throwing treats into the grass when dry and then when raining? Do you have a doggy friend that loves the rain that could show Winston the delights it holds?

I think Winston is very like Luna in being very carefree and boisturous and bouncy at times but then has strange little phobias that seem to come out of nowhere! Good luck.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
poor winston.

poppy hates the train too. it was p**ing down last night when it was time for her last wee. i had to bribe her out side with tasty treats and then just close the door when she tried to back inside. she then proceeded to bum tuck from the back door and around the grass everytime i told her to go the toilet. i think she weed eventually but i was so mean to her as i was finding it so funny i kept telling her to go to the toilet even though she'd already been just so i could see her do this mad bum tuck! :roll: i was creasing up, neighbours must have hated me :roll: :lol:

sorry, absolutely no help to you at all but i hope you're able to sort this :)

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank for all your comments!

Just heard from OH... Winnie was scared earlier!! hes gone to work wih OH sat and ate his lunch with Winnie in the Van and Winston was trying to get on his lap because the rain was hitting the window!!

I know i need to ingore him but i mother him!! :oops: Sad i know i just dont like him like that!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts