Labradors Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sasha is now 7 months old and a lovely girl, very affectionate and cuddly and very bright. The one thing that she hasn't stopped doing is leave Oscar our cho lab alone. They get in very well after a cautious start but she does like to hang off him and jump at him all the time. Sometimes she literally leaps at him other times it's just gentle tussling on the floor. He doesn't seem that's keen on it and barely tells her off the occasional growl or snap but she goes back for more. Obviously I don't want him to hurt her but I think he needs to give her a telling off so she realises it's a no go. If it gets too much I separate them to give both a rest.

Actually as I am typing this she has suddenly tried to mount him ( from the side so not quite in the correct way lol) and is humping away to her hearts content and Oscar has a very bemused look on his face. Could it all be hormonal?
Any advice much appreciated.

·
Premium Member
2,128 Posts
When my friend's dog, Zaba, comes to stay while she's on holiday they do a lot of hoolying about.

I doubt it does the dogs any harm at all.

BUT I have my limits, when I'm fed up of the noise and want some peace I tell them 'enough!' and expect them to settle down for a snooze.

Sounds like Oscar is a lovely, patient boy. (And I bet you'll miss it when her puppyhood is properly over!)

:)

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
I am not sure if Sasha will eventually give Oscar some peace if he is to easy going to tell her too bog off, he does sound like Mischa who has never told a dog off, even if they are a huge pain in the butt.

I think I would step in if I thought Mischa was not particularily happy with a situation, must admit it is rare that she is not up for a hooley, but it would'nt hurt to teach Sasha the 'enough' word when she starts :wink: .

June

·
Administrator
20,497 Posts
She's still a baby yet, but I must admit I do step in if it goes on too long. I figure I'm entitled to a little peace and quiet too so when I call time I expect, and insist, that the game ends. Apart from anything else I believe it's a good way of making the point that dogs do what humans say, not the other way round.

Regards, John

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
I have the exact same thing with Dolly (8 1/2 months) and Alfie (5 1/2 yrs). He gave her a rather scary telling off when she was only about 9 weeks old but hasn't really done anything so intense since. I never told him off at the time so it's not that he's scared to tell her, he just doesn't really bother too much. They play fight all the time and Alfie is much softer mouthed than Dolly, so if there's a yelp I know she's grabbed his jowls a little too firmly. I screech "Enough!" and it all stops (I swear I was a fish wife in a previous life ). Dolly often goes back for seconds, so at this stage I usually crate her and she falls asleep. She's like an over excited child that doesn't always realise that enough means enough :wink:

·
Super Moderator
17,438 Posts
Luna is 5 years & 8 months & 2 weeks & 5 days old... I'm regularly telling her ENOUGH! and rescuing Tucker from her attacks! :wink:

In fact as I type this it is only a matter of time.... :lol:

·
Registered
15,284 Posts
Humping could just be an excitement thing :)

Like others, I let mine play as long as they are both enjoying it (and will ask them to be quiet/stop if it gets too much), but if one was really not seeming to enjoy it anywhere near as much as the other, I'd intervene :)

·
Super Moderator
17,438 Posts
She is a good age for a season... time to get the light coloured old towels on her bedding/sleeping areas! I only knew Luna was in season because of the old white duvet wrapped around her beanbag!

Is Oscar 'done'??

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Luna-Tuck said:
She is a good age for a season... time to get the light coloured old towels on her bedding/sleeping areas! I only knew Luna was in season because of the old white duvet wrapped around her beanbag!

Is Oscar 'done'??
Yes he was done at a year

·
Administrator
20,497 Posts
As you can see, it never stops. This was Anna as a baby with my Lucy

And this was Anna at 13 years old having a fight with Amy. At that age they do it the easy way!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts