Labradors Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I've recently joined the forum, but until 1 month ago I was the proud owner of a beautiful fox red, who died suddenly from an epileptic seizure.

He was 7 years old, he would walk off lead even on a pavement , he could and would swim for miles and was the only dog I have ever met, who would play ball with a torch.

Charlie, did have epilepsy and this first occurred around the age of 4, he was on medication, including anti cluster medication (fully insured, for life, thanks PetPlan). However the seizure, caused a stroke and it was just awful.

I think everyone is different when it comes to choosing the correct time, to get another dog. My last dog was a border collie and he left us at 4 weeks from his 15th birthday, we waited 4 months.

I'm planning to look to get a new dog after Easter, I plan to go away then, I am then planning not to go away as an entire family until October/November half term 2020.

Charlie, I'm not sure If I can give the KC name but was from Gun Stock, in Northumberland.

I think I want a Labrador again, Limerick my border collie was lovely, but too intelligent and farrrrrrrrr to energetic. However I do have concerns about health issues relating to labs.

I know of quite a few labs and I know of another Epileptic one, one that hasn't fully grown and one with other medical issues. I used to joke about getting a mongrel. But I'm still torn as what to do.

The thing I love, is the laziness, the placidness, the calmness.

Like I've said earlier I am totally new to the forum, when the time is right I am looking for a pup. Charlie was KC registered, 6th Gen, but i'm not too sure I'm fussed, I don't intend to breed.

I'm based in West Yorkshire, not too far from Halifax.

Thank you

·
Administrator
20,632 Posts
I have also had an epileptic Labrador, but then, I had my first Labrador in 1972 and have had many since that time, so don't consider one in all that time is a bad risk.

The problem with Labradors is two fold. Firstly there are so many that every vet probably gets w regular stream of Labs through their door. When you think of over 35000 being born every year just 1% having problems is 350 dogs. On the other hand there were just 48 Field Spaniels born last year, and if vets saw 1% of them they would only see half a dog! So yes, by the sheer numbers of Labradors vets will always see lots!

The other point is that because of the popularity of Labradors, they do attract the attention of puppy farmers. These might be a bit cheaper to buy, but usually come with enough health problems that they are going to cost far more in the long run. Always buy from a responsible breeder who had fully health tested their bitch and has chosen a stud dog also health tested. KC registration is relatively cheap so if the breeder has skipped that then I'd have to wonder what else they have skipped.

John :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your post, I will do everything to avoid a puppy farm. I have been on the KC website and they do list available litters, not that there are many at this time of the year.

Does this forum, contain links to reputable breeders?

·
Premium Member
1,534 Posts
Hello,

I've recently joined the forum, but until 1 month ago I was the proud owner of a beautiful fox red, who died suddenly from an epileptic seizure.

He was 7 years old, he would walk off lead even on a pavement , he could and would swim for miles and was the only dog I have ever met, who would play ball with a torch.

Charlie, did have epilepsy and this first occurred around the age of 4, he was on medication, including anti cluster medication (fully insured, for life, thanks PetPlan). However the seizure, caused a stroke and it was just awful.

I think everyone is different when it comes to choosing the correct time, to get another dog. My last dog was a border collie and he left us at 4 weeks from his 15th birthday, we waited 4 months.

I'm planning to look to get a new dog after Easter, I plan to go away then, I am then planning not to go away as an entire family until October/November half term 2020.

Charlie, I'm not sure If I can give the KC name but was from Gun Stock, in Northumberland.

I think I want a Labrador again, Limerick my border collie was lovely, but too intelligent and farrrrrrrrr to energetic. However I do have concerns about health issues relating to labs.

I know of quite a few labs and I know of another Epileptic one, one that hasn't fully grown and one with other medical issues. I used to joke about getting a mongrel. But I'm still torn as what to do.

The thing I love, is the laziness, the placidness, the calmness.

Like I've said earlier I am totally new to the forum, when the time is right I am looking for a pup. Charlie was KC registered, 6th Gen, but i'm not too sure I'm fussed, I don't intend to breed.

I'm based in West Yorkshire, not too far from Halifax.

Thank you
Hiya, are you fussed about colour or type? Red fox is the darkest shade of yellow, so are registered yellow, and obviously you have black, and can have chocolate or liver as well. What I would say is research like mad now, it may sound like a long time away, but breeders often have full waiting lists months or even years in advance. There are several health conditions that could cause seizures, John Weller is the go to guy to talk to about health issues with dogs, EIC can be tested for and bred clear, but other conditions aren't so easily avoided.

KC registration isn't limited to six generations, but you often get registration documents showing five generations, or more, it just depends on the individual dog and when the gene pools were 'closed', ie dogs were known as Labrador retrievers and could only be bred with another Labrador retriever etc. The plus points about KC registration is that the KC have a huge amount of information on their database, and, if you find a good breeder who KC registers, then you will get a lot of help and support.

Mongrels are also a risk, there is a widely spread myth that all mongrels have hybrid vigour, but the problem with that is that it's untested, so if you mate two unknowns, it's a huge gamble, it could pay off, but you could end up with all the worst health from the backgrounds of both parents.

I think any breed can be taught to chill out, I have six dogs in total, three different breeds, and all know that when they are told to settle down, then that means chill out. Good luck with your search.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Champdogs is a good place to look, most good breeders will advertise on the site. You can set up notifications so you get an email when a new litter comes up. Just be prepared to do your research and check out pedigrees and health checks.

Good luck with your search.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hello and Merry Christmas.

I’m not too fussed over colour tbh, My last dog came from a very well known pet website, but reputable breeder working gun stock.

My first dog my border collie came a local farmer, £70 and came with a free kitten and weaned off mum by pulling him off her. I was 26, He had zero health problems in his life, super intelligent, but far too energetic, he would do laps of the house at midnight when he was 10.

I’ll register on the website you mentioned, as I have said I am looking for a pup after Easter and will delay any eventual kennel stay to the autumn on 2021.

·
Premium Member
8,813 Posts
Might be worth going to some dog shows or registering an interest with a breed club. I’m not in the UK but I do show my dogs. I’m always seeing members of the public at shows who come and ask if I’m a breeder or if my dogs are for sale or if I have puppies. Shows are a great place to see different dogs and chat with breeders/exhibitors.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Thanks, I'm sure everything will be okay, I've never been to a dog show before.

Might be fun.

The entire dog ownership thing has changed somewhat in 20/30 years.

I used to live in Ireland and well dogs were practically free, you would still see strays in co Limerick up until 10 years ago. As I said earlier my collie cost £70 back in 1997. My last lab was £600 in 2012, the prices now seem to be nearer the £1000 mark.

What is concerning to me is the KC thing, I do get it in a way, but my last dog on his KC had something like not for progeny or some such wording, basically meaning if you ever bred from him he couldn't be KC. I do not get this and this I think is why you see adverts for Labs, who's parents are both KC registered, for pups which aren't.

I can afford the asking price, though I don't know whether I can justify it. Limerick my border collie was £70, zero problems in nearly 15 years.

·
Premium Member
1,534 Posts
Thanks, I'm sure everything will be okay, I've never been to a dog show before.

Might be fun.

The entire dog ownership thing has changed somewhat in 20/30 years.

I used to live in Ireland and well dogs were practically free, you would still see strays in co Limerick up until 10 years ago. As I said earlier my collie cost £70 back in 1997. My last lab was £600 in 2012, the prices now seem to be nearer the £1000 mark.

What is concerning to me is the KC thing, I do get it in a way, but my last dog on his KC had something like not for progeny or some such wording, basically meaning if you ever bred from him he couldn't be KC. I do not get this and this I think is why you see adverts for Labs, who's parents are both KC registered, for pups which aren't.

I can afford the asking price, though I don't know whether I can justify it. Limerick my border collie was £70, zero problems in nearly 15 years.
Breeders place endorsements on their pedigree, so you will get 'progeny not eligible for registration' and 'progeny not eligible for export' or words to that effect. It's done to protect pups, and is usually done with conditions in place in a contract of sale. So if you did health tests, and proved your pup/dog in some way, the endorsements would most likely be lifted. It's to prevent people buying a pup, breeding on without doing any health tests, and just churning out litter after litter. It's completely free to lift endorsements, the breeder just has to write to the kennel club to request it's done, and should always explain to puppy buyers what the endorsements are and what is required for them to be lifted.

Prices for pups vary, you will pay between £800 to £1000 for a pup these days, I'm not sure why some charge over that sort of price, yes, sometimes they are from well proven dogs (shown/field trialled etc), but often they aren't really, just a lot of health tests on the parents.

·
Premium Member
8,813 Posts
Seems a reasonable price to me, but then I’m not in the UK. I paid WAY more than that for each of my latest two pups.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts