Labradors Forums banner

Why Our Labs Are Good For Our Health

2K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  Maddie 
#1 ·
Hi Everyone, :)

Not only do our Labs bring us so much happiness, but they are so good for our health too!

According to recent statistics, the benefits of owning a dog are:

- A dog helps to reduce stress.

- Owning a dog can help to reduce blood pressure.

- Apparently, dog owners are less likely to visit the doctor.

- You'll take more exercise which helps with your fitness levels.

- Dogs can help to increase the attention span of children who have learning difficulties.

- Owning a dog can boost your immune system.

- People who own dogs, tend to live longer.

- Dogs can help safeguard against loneliness.

Other benefits include:

- People who walk their dogs are perceived by others as friendly and approachable. Dog walkers have more social interaction in parks than people without dogs.

- The non-judgemental companionship and unconditional love offered by a dog is known to have considerable mental health benefits for owners, including increased self-esteem.

I recently bought a pedometer to measure just how far we walk, and it's amazing how many miles you clock up in one week! We have noticed the health benefits since we got Bradley nearly a year ago, we feel fitter, less stressed & the love we get from him always puts a smile on our faces! That's got to be good for you hey! 8)

Have you noticed the health benefits of owning a lab? Have you noticed your fitness levels rising since the arrival of your lab? Any stories to share?

Julie

Statistics and information taken from DogsTrust & Australia's better health channel.

See less See more
#3 ·
Since Corbie arrived I've walked him everyday from when he could be walked after injections, apart from a couple when Graeme has done the honours. Before we got Corbie we'd be walking in the hills every weekend but we can't do that now until Corbie is old enough, so felt like I was getting unfit. As I worked from home I wouldn't really go out much, so having Corbie has got me out the house and it's always nice chatting to other dogs owners, and there are a few lab owners here as well. Now he can walk further as well it is helping!

On the health side - he's a liability, having left his fleecy blankets in the hall once and it was dark so I didn't see one of them and went flying and ended up with a badly sprained shoulder and brusied knee :lol: And training a puppy is not good for the blood pressure :wink:

Seriously though, having Corbie here is great as I've missed not having a dog and working from home and being in a new country away from all my friends is pretty lonely at times. He's such a lovely boy. Last night I took him out in the pouring rain, I was dressed up in my waterproofs and he was having such a great time, he always makes me smile :D

#6 ·
Hi Julie

Yes I'd agree with all of it.Buster has worked wonders for both my physical and mental health and the amount of people I speak to because I have him with me has increased.I've also lost weight by taking regular exercise with him every day.He is quite demanding and takes some looking after but the rewards are plenty. I wouldn't be without him for the world. :)

Kev

#7 ·
You'll take more exercise which helps with your fitness levels.
Well i have yet to increase my fitness levels as ben is not allowed to walk for more than 10 mins...lol

But I agree to all the rest, we had no dog for all of 2 months when our old dog died and it was horrible not having a dog around.. :( Good job we had found our breeder and didn't have to wait too long before we collected Ben. :D

#10 ·
I certainly feel better (am a bit of a depression sufferer) but as for exercise, we do agility but there's not regular walkies as such as they have 4 acres of their own to tear about in and are usually out and about chasing each other, digging and genreally doing doggy stuff until they want to come in for a snooze on my best sofa (anything from 10 minutes to several hours). Running up and down the field chasing me on the mower is enough!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.