Labradors Forums banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
601 Posts
Have you tried Plus 2 Dogs website, www.plus2dogs.co.uk ?

It was set up by someone with exactly your dilemma, finding it difficult to go away with his 'more than 2' dogs. It is still in its infancy, but you may find something on it.

Good luck with your search. :)

·
Premium Member
8,833 Posts
I must admit and, as you guys know, I am a lover of large dogs but also as a holiday rental owner I don't allow dogs, for several reasons.

Firstly the places I've stayed in that have allowed dogs I would NEVER stay in again if I'd not got dogs!

Rental owners can't rely on dog owners being their only source of rental income and people don't stick to rules no matter what (yes, I'm just a guilty !).

Then there is the problem with allergies etc. It's hard enough to clean up thoroughly when a family with kids have been to stay never mind dogs, large or small. If I had my way I wouldn't allow children either. :oops:

I charge a security deposit anyway and I suspect many dog owners wouldn't be happy to pay a deposit up front, just in case. You know in your heart of heart that there is a risk you'd end up losing it! (well I certainly would as mine aren't the best behaved!)

Sorry chaps. :oops:

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
:) :) :)

Jules - we have a similar problem, but we've managed to go away and find accommodation -

We went to this lovely lovely cottage near Dartmouth for New Years; there were 7 of us an we had 2 dogs. (I'm sure a 3rd could be allowed given that Pood doesn't moult!) The village of Dittisham is lovely (there is a super super pub just nearby), but you can't take your car down to the cottage and have to park up the hill.

You can book it at www.toadhallcottages.co.uk; they also have a fairly good selection of cottages available that will take dogs. It is quite large though - might be too big.

Another suggestion:

This fabulous place is Challaborough Bay; which has a Parkdean mobile caravan site. My friend own a mobile home there which we rent. My friend owns a dog herself and although she doesn't let out to dog-owners, she's allowed me to rent and take my two. I'm sure on a personal recommendation she would rent it to you. It is probably one of the prettiest places I've been - to the right of this picture is a walk up the cliff which takes you over the hill to Burgh Island (see below pic). If you go between September and May, the dogs are allowed on Challaborough Bay beach which is about a 30 second walk from the door of the caravan!

I'm sure I can make an arrangement for you if you were interested.

http://www.parkdeanholidays.co.uk - is the parkdean website which includes Challaborough Bay; if you wanted to book my friends van you'd need to contact her direct so she could inform the site that she has approved you to take the dogs, but I can let you have her contact details).

View from top of cliff towards Burgh Island looking down on Challaborough Beach

·
Premium Member
3,748 Posts
Guys - have to say I'm with Maddie on this one!!

We now have a holiday cottage in Suffolk and although we only let it out to family and friends I will only let it out to those friends with dogs who will respect our rules. Anyone who stays will be asked to not allow their dogs upstairs or on furniture as this is the rule we have for Ruby and this is our home too. We have spent alot of money furnishing this cottage and don't want it wrecked. Equally we ask those with children to respect the toys and furniture too.

I used to get frustrated when we were looking for holiday properties due to all the rules that many of them stated but seeing it from the other side now I realise why property owners have them!!!! However, I would probably be less bothered about the number of dogs though and more concerned whether the owners would respect our requests!!!

Sorry to be a spoilsport - please don't hold it against me!!

Chloe

?

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
rubyrubyruby said:
Sorry to be a spoilsport - please don't hold it against me!!
I'm not going to hold anything against anyone :wink: . It's your cottage/villa/holiday let, so you can do as you wish. Hubby always said if we ever had one, he wouldn't allow dogs or children to stay in it, as to be honest kids can do as much damage, if not more so, than dogs at times. My own toddler stripped a large amount of wallpaper off the bedroom wall in one holiday cottage. He was in his cot and I thought he'd been having a lovely nap for about an hour (as he usually did in the afternoons) but no, he'd been getting busy making confetti instead :oops: .

What I don't understand is why some lets allow dogs but then put a limit on them. After all, surely 3 or 4 dogs is no more likely to wreck the joint than 1 or 2.

Anyway, I'm sorted now. I found what looks like a lovely place thanks to one of your links, who'll allow you to bring multiple dogs....Perfick! :D

And it's here if anyone else in the same boat as me is interested....

http://www.dogs-holiday.co.uk/index.asp

·
Premium Member
3,748 Posts
Jules - I agree with the number thing too :wink:

I think it is more about how much control the owner have over their pets and what attitude they have towards respecting the property where they are staying that is the important part!!

Chloe

·
Registered
7,024 Posts
Im a bit late with this but incase anyone else is looking...the 'Your Dog' magazine for May has a free where to stay guide for 2011/12 with loads of doggie holidays and how many dogs allowed. There's lots in there to suit most people :D

·
Registered
49 Posts
i have been to luckyard farm exmoor any number of dogs are welcome free of charge this is a working farm converted farm buildings not enclosed gardens but you can walk anywhere on the farm they do have sheep cows horses and the farm dogs we love it there for the freedom for our lab i see your post is old hope this might be of help one reason we go is it is cheap not 5 star but still good google luckyard farm

·
Registered
253 Posts
I didn't buy my dream car to give the best life I can to my furbabies. Not regretting it and will never regret it.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts