Labradors Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
?

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...is it so hard to find somewhere that'll let you take 3 dogs and won't cost you an arm and a leg? :(

I've been browsing all afternoon and have come up with nothing I like or can afford really.

All I'm after is a little cottage/lodge/caravan/barn down south west-ish (Cornwall, Devon, Dorset, Hampshire, etc) that me, Dickie and the girls can have a weeks holiday in, but everywhere is either horribly expensive or says only "one dog or two small dogs".

Well my Labs aren't exactly big ones and Pood is hardly a dog at all. 8)

Oh well, rant over....Best I keep looking otherwise we won't be going away this year at all....sigh.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
I sympathise Jules, I don't really get why 3 or 4 dogs can be a 'no no' when properties will take 2..

We have stayed in some stunning properties that have taken 4 dogs, my sister in law has 2 small kind of doggy things.. :wink: but they have cost a bit, luckily my parents believe in spending the inheritance now, so we have some great holidays with 8 of us and 4 dogs :D

if you want Wales I have a few good places!

·
Registered
45,877 Posts
I hope you had Pood`s ears covered when you said she`s hardly a dog at all!!, I bet she doesn`t agree :lol: .

Its very hard, I hope your able to find somewhere soon.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I agree it's a difficult one. Have you thought of camping? It's not for everyone I know but we love it and have found some excellent sites over the years. Good luck!

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
give Nikki - with rusti sunni etc - a shout. i know she holidays down devon way and takes all her gang :D

·
Premium Member
21,240 Posts
I am having the same challenge Jules, we could take the caravan somewhere but we wanted to rent a cottage, but can't find anything affordable that will take the 3 dogs either, let me know it you do though

?

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
_Sam_ said:
give Nikki - with rusti sunni etc - a shout. i know she holidays down devon way and takes all her gang :D
I know the place she stays in and it's already booked the week I have off work. Typically it's free the week before....Grrrr. :roll:

Nat, perhaps you could try there....The place looks lovely and pretty reasonable too. You might be lucky and the week you want'll be free...

http://www.clanaborough.co.uk/.

Off to have a look at all the links you lovely lot have given me :D.

?

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Becks46 said:
Have you thought of camping?
I spent one night under canvas (well nylon) a few of years back. Just me and two dogs (and about 100 other LFer's). It didn't stop raining, it was freezing cold and the cockerals crowed pretty much all night....NEVER AGAIN! And apart from that there is NO WAY I'd ever get Dickie to stay in a tent, that's why I went on my own to the big GT. :lol:

·
Registered
10,913 Posts
Doesn't Many Tears have an advert on their website for a cottage down that way? I'm sure theres one in Scotland and one in the south?

I copied this from Many tears.

Grace Holiday Cottages

Restored 18th and 19th Century character cottages
on the World Heritage West Dorset Coast and
on the West Coast of Scotland’s last ‘British Wilderness’.

Now taking bookings for 2011 and North Norfolk Coast barn to come
email [email protected] for details.

Dogs are very welcome by arrangement.
10% to Many Tears when you book so please mention MT on enquiry.
Click here to see the cottages.

·
Premium Member
3,262 Posts
We've used the Horseasons web site a few times, it's very easy to navigate to pet friendly accommodation, choose area of country & how many dogs & they give you the selection. sometimes the quality of cottage or lodge is slightly lower due to it being pet friendly?? Sure i have no idea why?? but the prices are quite reasonable as long as you avoid peak weeks. we've just been to Wales with ours & had a lovely time. x

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
Not sure if this helps, but if Dartmoor would suit you [not everyones cup of tea] but we stayed in a barn conversion at South Zeal last year in March [bit chilly].

It was very reasonable and accepted 3 dogs, 2 bedrooms, it was called Gardeners Cottage, South Zeal.

The owners did give us a telephone nb, as the holiday companys take so much commission, but afraid I can't find it, but did find same cottage here Walesdirectory.co.uk ref 40148.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Try asking those that will take two if they'll consider three - we've never had anyone say no - yet !! I usually email and tell them about my dogs and explain we always bring their own beds etc., worth a try ?

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
I know what you mean. Years ago I was looking for somewhere and found an ideal sounding place - 1 bed, stream at the end of the garden etc. Rang them and was told as I had 3 dogs it would be too small for me and I should get a 2 bed rental. Pointed out that in their terms and conditions it said no dog on furniture etc so why did they think the dogs needed a bedroom...... did not get anywhere with it...

?

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
care said:
Rang them and was told as I had 3 dogs it would be too small for me and I should get a 2 bed rental. Pointed out that in their terms and conditions it said no dog on furniture etc so why did they think the dogs needed a bedroom...... did not get anywhere with it...
Excellent! A good point though.

I've tried in the past to convince owners that three dogs isn't any more bother than two, but so many state two SMALL dogs and apparently Labradors are a LARGE breed, even though most are only knee high. If I can find somewhere that takes two large dogs, I'm usually fine, as I can then use my trump card for Pood......"she doesn't moult", as it seems to be the amount of fur dogs leave behind which puts a lot of people off ( I don't tell them Mojo moults enough for 6 dogs :lol: ).

I think I might have found somewhere, thanks to one of the links you gave me :D ..... http://www.cottagenearbude.com/aboutthecottage.htm. I just need to check with them they haven't got any silly rules about where the dogs can go in the house, before I book it.

I'm always extra careful, as once we went on holiday and when we got there the owner told us the dogs weren't allowed in the house itself, only in the utility room. This wasn't mentioned at all before we got there, otherwise we wouldn't have booked it. I can't say we abided by the rules though :wink: .

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
Hope you have found the one Jules. We take Lottie everywhere with us. She sleeps on her bed in our room but they always say,no dogs in bedrooms. I just make sure there is a hoover and no dog hair remains when we leave.

They can't exactly check where you sleep. We have never had a problem as she doesn't ever go on any bed or sofa apart from ours! Not having more than one dog,I didn't realise how difficult it can be. A friend of mine took her 2 spaniels to a barn we had rented, who said one dog only, but she took their crates which swung it.

Barbara xx

?

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I just make sure there is a hoover and no dog hair remains when we leave.
Oh yes so do I. In fact more often than not, the place is cleaner and less "hairy" when we leave than when we arrived.

Typically though, the one place where we weren't supposed to have the dogs indoors, didn't have a hoover 8O , so I had to go around on my hands and knees with a roll of sellotape, to get rid of the evidence that we hadn't stuck to the rules. :roll: :lol:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts