Labradors Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

This is my first post and I am thrilled to have found this fab site.

I have a beautiful chocolate lab bitch, Bronte, who is almost 9yrs, although this post is re. her friend Chloe who is owned by my Father-in-Law and I have been looking after her for the past few days whilst they are on holiday.

Chloe is a 6yr old golden lab and overweight. I was horrified to be handed a huge sack of Cornflakes and told that this is what she has for breakfast - with FULL FAT milk :shock: She does have Pedigree Chum (tinned) for tea :? , and they feed her constantly throughout the day and hardly walk her at all.

I am horrified at the general state of her as there is no need for it - we live in beaufiful rural Buckinghamshire and I walk my dog miles each day across open fields and woodland. I have voiced my concerns regarding her weight and condition before (she has horrid patches on her elbows and cannot gather up the energy to climb up into the car, but instead has to be lifted), and generally this concern falls on deaf ears. They too are overweight and think I am a bit obsessive/cruel not to overfeed my dog Bronte. They have referred to their dog's week here with us as 'boot camp' :twisted:

Anyway - besides keeping on at them - and believe me I will - I am actually quite concerned that she is always chewing at her toes. I have looked over them and they are raw on the pads, and when she isn't asleep she will be worrying away at them. What can it be?

She is also generally a bit 'itchy' but I have been assured that she hasn't got fleas/mange. Anyone got any ideas or anything I can treat her feet with to keep her off them for a while?

When my in-Laws return I am going to sit them down and give them a good talking to! :evil:

·
Registered
113 Posts
:lol: bootcamp :lol: ya like over feeding the dog is a way to show love. I have a puppy few weeks old yellow lab , she also bites on her toes few times but not for long . So it never worried me as she has a beautiful fur and lovely spotless paws and toes. I dont know what should be done . Maybe u can give a call to ur vet and ask him/her.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
HI Brontre
It seems as though she needs a vet to go over her and maybe these sort of people could have some influence on your in laws. Obviously something is causing her to chew her paws. There are such things as interdigital cyst , which can be a problem. On the other hand she could have been very bored at home and the chewing then becomes a habit, or maybe she is allergic to something. There could be a few reasons why she is doing this.
Aloe Vera is very good for these sort of problems and may help to soothe the situation, but an eye needs to be kept otherwise she will chew them raw. Please let us know how you get on with her. Tell your in laws she may drop with a heart attack, also if she had to have surgery for anything she would be at a greater risk just like us humans who are overweight.
It sounds as though she needs her diet changing, to a light menu, and gentle exersice as it needs to be built up gradually if she has not been used to it.

·
Administrator
21,515 Posts
I think Megaloo has the toe thing pretty well covered. A cyst is a possibility, or a thorn. With the cyst you usually see a bit of swelling between the toes and with a thorn there is normally some inflammation. Boredom caused by being over weight so not taking enough exercise is a strong possibility. The body might not feel like exercise but the brain still needs it.

It's such a shame people allow a dog to get into this state. Next thing you will hear is that some vet has prescribed an over priced "Diet" food when all that is needed is a sizable reduction in her normal food. One of the problems with tinned food is that it comes in set amounts. People tend to dish out the tin full because it is easier than saving part tins. Complete is so much easier to feed the right amount and no more.

Another problem is in the usually grossly over stated feeding amounts food manufacturers normally quote. I doubt I feed half of the recommendation!

Yes, I know what you mean beautiful rural Buckinghamshire. I enjoy the very occasional holiday but I'm always glad to get back home!

Regards, John

·
Registered
353 Posts
Hi Bronte

I remember a post on here where someone replied that if a dog bites its front paws then it mostly suggests an allergy.

I read a lot on here about allergies caused by food. Even some well known brands of dog food cause allergies in some dogs.

I would suggest a change in diet to a 'light' complete dog food and no bowl of cornflakes - it has all sorts of added vitamins and preservatives, colourings etc that has been designed for humans not dogs.

I hope you get the message through to your father-in-law. I am sure he will be pleased when he sees how happy she is when she is bounding about.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Another problem is in the usually grossly over stated feeding amounts food manufacturers normally quote. I doubt I feed half of the recommendation
Very true John,

We found this also when we first got Bradley, we would stick religiously to the amounts advised using the measuring cup as a guideline, however after a few months Brad was putting on weight. As he was only fed light bisuits as treats occasionally, it had to be the food, and about 5 months ago we halved his daily allowance, and he is now just right. Just goes to show though, i think these manufacturers think the more you feed your dogs the more they will sell - and more profit! :lol:

Bronte - I'm sure your place is no way near like a bootcamp, it sounds to me like Chloe would benefit a great deal if she was to stay longer and would probably really enjoy the changes this week. I'm glad you've got a lot of good advice here, and i wish you all the best with her.

Welcome to the site btw - good to have you join us. :wink:

Bye for now

Julie

·
Registered
364 Posts
yep, those recommended quantities on the side of dog food packs are criminally misleading ... I fed Harvey under the minimum stated amounts when I first got him yet I now know even that was way over the top as his growth rate and weight gain was far too fast .. It would be interesting to hear a food company explain how they arrive at those figures

Cheers
Nigel

1 - 7 of 7 Posts