Labradors Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Inca is barking so much at the minute and it's at nothing...it's maybe noises she is hearing but it is nothing out of the ordinary (e.g the TV, my computer, etc) and she is barking and growling. Is this just her growing up and finding her voice?

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
Does it feel as though there could be a storm brewing in your area?, Both Max and Sam seem to sense when there is thunder in the distance and Max especially starts to get a bit vocal until it is here, they will here it long before we do.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Jaynemaria said:
Does it feel as though there could be a storm brewing in your area?, Both Max and Sam seem to sense when there is thunder in the distance and Max especially starts to get a bit vocal until it is here, they will here it long before we do.
No not at all, it's been happening throughout the week and it's really puzzling me :?

·
Registered
45,877 Posts
I wonder if it could be a fear thing, I know some dogs go through stages when things that were perfectly nornal before suddenly seem very scary.

If it is that I`m not sure how you overcome it, hopefully someone will be able to advise :)

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
JohnW said:
Have a read of this Jess, particulaly the "Second fear impact stage"

http://www.diamondsintheruff.com/DevelopmentalStages.html

Regards, John
Thanks John, very interesting. So when she does this (barking and growling and running in and out of the house doing it) we should just totally ignore it? Not tell her off for it but not praise her or reassure her at the same time?

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Jess, it may be connected with this age fear period, but there has to be a reason for her behaviour - if it is reactionary, she has to be reacting to something - not nothing.

What has happened or changed in the past week or so?

I can think of a few general things - football for one, with vuvulezas making a noise all over the place. Certainly, Tilly has been more barky than usual over the past week or so, and to stop Beau from tearing outside every time she barks, I have now trained him to come to me when he hears her bark, so that she doesn't get even more worked up by him rushing about as well. Tennis - people have their TV's and radios on and the doors and windows open because it has been so hot this week - a sudden cheer from the crowd can be pretty audible above normal, everyday noise levels. And of course both of these things will be setting other dogs barking in the area too, which she is probably hearing and reacting to.

Have a think - I'm sure you'll work out why she is reacting like this.

When she does react, let her do a few barks, then call her back inside in a light and happy voice, put you finger to your lips and say 'quiet', hold her eye contact for a few seconds, and then give her a treat. This will give you a two-pronged approach to dealing with this - not stopping the barking or ignoring it (which can make it escalate) but giving her an 'off' switch with the 'quiet' cue, plus building a positive association with whatever it is she is reacting to.

PM me if you would like me to talk you through it in more detail.

Lizi, Tilly & Beau

·
Registered
2 Posts
Have a read of this Jess, particulaly the "Second fear impact stage"

http://www.diamondsintheruff.com/DevelopmentalStages.html

Regards, John
It looks like that article is missing but here is another good one about the developmental and fear imprint stages.

10 months old is smack-bang in the middle of the second fear impact stage. It's possible this behavior, at this age, is part of the confidence-building that occurs during this time. Their bodies are undergoing a lot of hormonal changes (though less so, with spaying already done) and I've seen all manner of goofy behavior at this age. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts