Labradors Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rueben is going through a phase of stealing absolutely anything he can get his teeth into!

Is this just one of the puppy stages he has to go through or am I doing something wrong? He seems at his worst first thing in the morning. He's got plenty of toys to chew and play with and I always make sure we have playtime together in the morning when he's full of energy. We try very hard to make sure things are out of his reach, but with a 6 year old in the house it's not always that easy!!

Any tips on curbing this behaviour much appreciated!

Anita & Rueben
xXx

·
Registered
757 Posts
Sounds pretty normal to me...... my 11 month is still stealing things, her favourite is socks and slippers!!!!!!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Your best bet is ignoring it. Trying to get things of him, is making it into a game, one which most dogs play between themselves but in the absence of another dog, he is playing it with you. I call it the Nerr Nikki Nerr Nerr Game...or the "I've got it, you can't have it" game. It is a fantastic way to get attention, even if that attention is negative.

So unless whatever he has grabbed is of HUGE importance, then just leave him to it until he is bored with it, then take it back. It really won't hurt for him to run around with a teatowel or a slipper, etc, even if it is a little annoying. I wouldn't try to swap the item for something better, as you will be inadvertantly rewarding the behaviour, ie "I nab the shoe = Mum gets me a treat". I would only offer praise or reward if he politely bought the item to you and let you take it without a fuss.

Lots of work with the LEAVE command, so you can tell him not to touch something before he has even got it in his mouth....but if it's too late, don't get drawn into his game. :wink:

·
Registered
10,913 Posts
An alternative is to coach him to bring things to you so THAT is the game. We are regularily visited by a squiggly Pasco seemingly empty mouthed by suspisciously.... you know... squiggly. Put your hand down and he dispenses a dirty hanky like a Pez machine!!

This means that anything he does lift or we do leave lying, will not get damaged, just brought to us excitedly!!!

It doesn't stop him doing anything, just makes the game more mutually acceptable!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hmm, I think he's got me wrapped round his paw!!

I do exactly what you've described Jules - I chase him to get it from him and you're right I think he does enjoy it, I've been sucked in again haven't I?! :roll: :oops: I've also done the other thing and given him a reward when he does finally give it up so I guess now he's thinking 'I steal something mum gives me a treat! Yippeee!!!' :lol:

I'll take your advice and ignore it in future and hope it works soon!!

And Fee, I know what you mean by them being 'squiggly' :lol: and the mental picture I have of Pasco as a pez machine (I'd forgotten about those!) will keep me giggling all afternoon!!

Thanks for the advice guys!

Anita & Rueben
xXx

·
Registered
22 Posts
the tv remote is a favourite with our boy. If I show any interest he runs under the table. If I ignore him he brings it back. Cheeky monkey.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I do laugh Anita!! - Bug and Rueben must get together one of these days - they are peas in pod!

So yes, the daily ritual of me and the Bug running round and round the round patio table will come to an end - and I will jsut go and buy some new socks to replace the zillions that he will nick from all sorts of places!!

I have never known a dog to be quite so adept at finding the lone sock at the bottom of a laundry pile!

g

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Gezza said:
I do laugh Anita!! - Bug and Rueben must get together one of these days - they are peas in pod!

So yes, the daily ritual of me and the Bug running round and round the round patio table will come to an end - and I will jsut go and buy some new socks to replace the zillions that he will nick from all sorts of places!!

I have never known a dog to be quite so adept at finding the lone sock at the bottom of a laundry pile!

g
I took Jules advice and ignored him (unless it's anything really dangerous or expensive which is rare!) and it has worked like a charm! He still does it when he's having a hooly but its pretty much stopped now!

However, he does still have one particularly embarassing fetish and that is stealing my bra's :oops: He seems to root them out of the laundry basket (yes he's figured out how to open the lid :roll: ) Not a problem when I'm here on my own, but can be slightly embarassing when we have guests :lol: :lol:

Anita & Rueben
xXx

·
Registered
4,454 Posts
lol Samps is a sock theif as well, and he is very good at it lol. He likes a challenge at times and will go for something else i.e the spatula incident, I was very impressed, off the kitchen side and into the garden without raising any suspicion at all lol.

yes it is totally normal lab behaviour lol. As for curbing it When sampson took something he really wasnt allowed to I would tell him no and take it off him if he tried to turn it into a game I use my best you are gonna be in big trouble tone with growl, he soon got the message that stealing what ever he fancied was just not going to happen.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
However, he does still have one particularly embarassing fetish and that is stealing my bra's :oops: He seems to root them out of the laundry basket (yes he's figured out how to open the lid :roll: )

i'm afraid this is ruby's weakness too-my or my daughters bras are her fave items to steal!! as you say, is fine if just us........but when daughters boyfriends are around..... :oops: :oops: :oops:

love jan and rubes xx

1 - 11 of 11 Posts