Labradors Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

Thought I would let you know Buddys progress after his run in with a very nasy Rottie. Buddys behaviour when it comes to other dogs has changed slightly he has been giving other dogs a wide berth only when he realises they are a potential playmate does he have the confidence to say hello. In my opinion this is fine as he is reading other dogs body language before bounding in, he is also much better at recall and is less inclined to ignore my commands...which is great.

However moving on to his wounds, they are not healing as quick as we would like, the original vet told us to clean the wounds twice a day, after 3 days we saw a different vet who told us not to as the wounds weren't healing, promptly gave Buddy a buster collar and said keep the wounds dry.......after a further 7 days we saw the original vet again who said you should be cleaning the wound!!!! Who do I believe? This advice was given by two vets working for the same practice!
I have to say that I had cleaned the wounds when they was getting mucky but tried to keep them dry as possible! Its difficult knowing whats best when you've got two professionals telling you to do completely the opposite! :?

Anyway Buddy has gone to work with my partner today and apparently is enjoying all the attention......he is so spoilt......and why not!

Corbin :p

·
Registered
16,892 Posts
oh im so sorry to hear od buddys nasty run in with the rottie ..as for your vets hmmm thats strange can you not phone the practice up and ask them to explain why they are both telling you opposite things and try to clarify it more for you..
i hope he heals well very soon :) and you, must of been horrible seeing your poor baby being attacked

clair

·
Registered
13,082 Posts
Glad to hear Buddy is on the mend :)

How frustrating to be given conflicting advice from your vets - good advice from Clair to phone the practice and tell them the situation. Poor Buddy needs some clear non-conflicting advice to help him get better quickly :D .

·
Registered
669 Posts
I can only speak from experience and say that I have always been told to clean wounds with warm water and cotton wool once or twice a day and keep it dry thereafter.

I hope Buddy get better soon!

Amanda

·
Registered
22,083 Posts
Dylan sliced a bit off his pad on glass, walking through the woods on sunday,so on sunday,monday and tuesday i shoved his paw into a bowl of warm water and dettol to keep the wound clean then stopped so that the wound can dry off and heal and it looks ok as he is walking on it as normal,thats what i have always done with wounds,keep clean then allow to dry after a few days so the wound can heal.Lynne.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Guys,

I have phoned the vets after stewing on it all morning and asked them to explain why I have had conflict in opinions with regards to Buddys wounds. I was speaking to the original vet and her advise was that maybe after seeing it after the third day the other vet though it was looking clean and thought it best to let it dry out, however perhaps the wound had flared up again and it was too soon to let dry up, the vet has advised me to treat it as though it has just happened again and bathe it again for a few days, then reassess it again. She also apologised for mixed advise and has expressed that I only see her so she can monitor Buddys progress! 8)

After reading all your postings I think its best to bathe it again for a few days and then see where we are. I know when I have been nursing you tend to keep it clean for a while then let it dry but with two vets having strong opinions its a job to know whats best! I shall go with the first vets advise, I think thats probably best?!?!? :roll:

Its been very stressfull all round really, moving house, Buddys mishap and now this.....what a new start!!! Buddy loves the new house though theres so much more room for him to play and make a complete mess in the garden!!! I've decided flower beds are a no go and a nicely mowed lawn (with the occasional hole) is the answer!

Ouch poor Dylan, that must have been nasty.... :eek:

I shall keep you posted!

Thanks again Corbin :p

·
Registered
16,892 Posts
corbin..lol..my front lawn would be good for golfers its got that many holes in it..lol..i mow the lawn and half the time end up down em....

·
Registered
8,784 Posts
Glad you got everthing sorted out. They do say everything happens in three's so hopefully you will have more luck. :D I hope that buddy recovers soon and won't destoy your new garden to much :lol:

Cristina & Ben

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks every one for Buddys get well wishes...I've passed them on!
:D
I think my lawn is ideal for golfers not only do we have the occasional hole....but just to add character a lovely bunker!!!!! Buddy is feeling a lot better and his wounds don't look quite so bad today. He's so good bless him when I leave for work he lets me put the buster collar back on, sitting there so trusting, eyes blinking fast as I slip it over his head......then a waggy tail coz its treat time!!!!

Are your labs easy to give tablets to??? Buddy makes me laugh, I get him to sit as though I'm going to throw a tasty treat, throw the tablets munch munch both gone!!!Sooooo easy! I know other dogs are not quite so co-operative, mind you they're not so gutty as labs are they!!?? :lol:

Cheers Corbin :p

1 - 9 of 9 Posts