Labradors Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how do you know who is the dominint dog?

i think charlie is our male but im not sure rosze has been with us for 1 week now and all her and brandy do is play fight charlie is in the background evry now and then joins in to fight..lol..

charlie gets fed first then brandy then rosze
bedtime charlie is on our bed the 2 labs are on the floor (with bedding) curled up together
if i feed them treats again charlie then brandy then rosze

if there play fighting gets a bit rough were they end up yelping i seperate them by yelling enough or do i leave them? brandy is 6yrs and rosze is 7 months
reason i ask my neighbour say 2 bitches together is not good she has always said this to me although i have always had female dogs with no problem so far.. she had to get rid of one of her dogs as they kept fighting and apparatly her elder dog kept giving in to the younger one and she wanted her elder dog to be the boss..

now really i would like charlie to be boss with him being male but how do i know who is higher rank between rosze and brandy?? or does it really matter at all as long as they are all happy???

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
she had to get rid of one of her dogs as they kept fighting and apparatly her elder dog kept giving in to the younger one and she wanted her elder dog to be the boss
oh dear .... the first thing is that you can't decide who is the dominant dog, it is down to their personalities and has nothing to do with age and sex, and trying to interfere and make one dog dominant is a recipe for disaster. How sad that your neighbour felt the need to get rid of one of them because she wanted the older to be more dominant and it wasn't.
Two bitches together can be fine, just as two male dogs together can be fine. I have recently had two entire males together and they got on fine.
I think the main difference is that if two dogs fall out, they tend to adjust the pecking order and get on with it. If two bitches fall out, they tend mean it and not forget about it and it can become so much of a problem that one needs rehoming. I don't think you can predict this, it just happens, but it sounds like your neighbour did not allow them to sort out the pecking order between them and this is what led to the problems.
Rosze has just arrived and is still young, so things may change anyway.
When things get rough, the yelping is a signal to the other dog(s) that they went a bit too far - they should then tone it down a bit, and these are important lessons for them to learn. On the other hand, at 7 months, you do need to be careful about the effects a lot of rough play will have on growing joints.
The other thing to bear in mind (maybe for later) is that dog fights / challenges / tellings off can be extremely noisy and while it may result in the odd graze (from flashing teeth), do no real damage. If a dog wants to inflict damage they will.
It's difficult to say without witnessing them, and as Rosze is young, things may change, and it may be that without an obvious leader you may need to step in, but you need to understand the dynamics of pack behaviour or you can end up making things worse.
Most 'pack leaders' I know rarely need to use much more than an occasional cross word - the other dogs automatically defer to them. They control resources, which could mean they are first, but as an example, certain theories say the dominant dog will sleep high up. Actually the dominant dog will chose where he sleeps, and if he/she wants to sleop elsewhere, that leaves the bed for someone else. I probably know more bitches that are 'the boss' than dogs, but it really depends on the individuals within the group and the group dynamics.

It's a complicated subject, but the most important thing is to not enforce hierarchy because you want a certain dog to be top dog.

You many find this link useful.
http://animalhumanesociety.org/Behavior/bhv_caninerivalry.asp

·
Registered
16,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thank you very much for that link it was good reading like you said i cant determine who is boss and the link states that in some places in the house the ranks change again..lol.. so i will let them get on with it (ignore the neighbour.lol) as for now things are very good with them all like i say play fighting NO nastiness :)
infact i will print that link and give it to my neighbour..:)
thank you :)

G

·
My murphy goes to my mums for a few days while I work as she has two female jack russells aged 5 , they play alot and after a few days the jack russell milly soon let murph know whose boss, and after that he gets put in his place, they can get quite lively, after reading this post now worried about his development as only 18 weeks. I thought they are naturally pack animals so playing is normal, they will sort it out Penny

1 - 4 of 4 Posts