Labradors Forums banner

41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Old black labs

Hi, my two old black labs are asleep at my feet now, one 15 one nearing 16. It's only as the months go by that their apparent old age is becoming remarkable. The 16 yr old started on metacam having slowed to the point more or less being unable to use his back legs, he now moves 'ok' but a slow 5 minute potter is the best he can do. He is mostly deaf, mostly blind, but shiny coat and very very little grey. Big dog, never needed the vet until metacam, country active life. He has muscle loss back legs. It's becoming difficult to 'plan' for when he's had enough...or I have, I need to let him out late maybe 11.30pm, and again 6.30 am. Not easy! But he seems content, eager for food. So we plod on. My 15 year old, moves fine, grey, fat been on again diet again lloy his life but has won! Eyes and hearing good, tactical and sneaky devious to get to food/ have his own way. So...15 and 16 and no vets ever except metacam.

·
Administrator
20,646 Posts
My Amy is a spritely 12 year old, fast approaching 13, but is certainly sleeping more than she was. Still wants to work, but I don't let her do much these days because I don't want to break her. She has a few lumps now, just fatty tissue lumps I think, although one is a little suspicious which I have my eye on. But you have done well Neil, getting one to 15 and one to 16, better than I have ever done!

John :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Riley will be 17 on May 5, 2018

All - Our Riley is a female purebred yellow Lab who will turn 17 on May 5 this year, so just a few months away. Her disposition has remained as sweet as ever and she is tolerant of all but unexpected very loud noises, which can scare her and of course make her bark. Weakness in the hind end is starting to be a real issue for her, but she tolerates it well and does not give any signs of pain. We have a male bred of her who will be 11 in June, and we are hoping he carries his momma's good genes for healthy living to a ripe old age! I would post a pic of them both, but I don't seem to have permissions to do that.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My Millie a female yellow lab was over 15 years old.

I was talking to someone yesterday who was asking how old my dogs are. When I told him Gus was 13 now he said "hopefully you will have him around for a few more months". I was a but taken aback as although I know it's a good age for a lab I'm sure I've heard of older labs.

It got me wondering what age a lab can live to and I thought where better to ask than here. Who has the oldest lab - come on give me some hope for old Gus!

Norma
Hi,
On reading your message I recalled my last three labs, all females living wonderful lives, Molly was over 14 years, Mandy also over 14 years and Millie was well over 15 years. So if your Gus is healthy and happy hopefully you’ll have a few more years with him. Best of luck. Brian

·
Administrator
20,646 Posts
There is a lot of luck involved. My first Labrador, Mandy, died at 12.5. Beth was the oldest at a few weeks short of 14. At the other extreme, at one time in the Guinness Book Of Records the oldest dog was a Labrador at 24!!!

As I said above, Amy is 12, will be 13 in April, but suffered a minor stroke a couple of weeks back. So from now on every second is precious. She still enjoys a walk, still wants to work. I did allow her to retrieve a pheasant or two early in the season, but since the stroke she is now officially retired and the work is now all down to Chloe.

John :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Riverroads Thanksgiving Grace

My sweet black lab Grace will be 16 on Thanksgiving. She is almost completely deaf (only hears very high or loud noises - which helps tremendously on the 4th of July), has cataracts, and some arthritis, issues with here back knees, and lots of lumps. Other than that - she is doing great. She has never had an accident, loves to take long (albite slow) walks multiple times a day, lives for food, and is engaged and still loving life. I have had a hospice vet (comes to the house) for 4 years now and he keeps threatening to fire us - as he says she is in way too good of shape and does not need him. I wish I could say I had her on a perfect diet but I don't. She has always lived for food and I let her have it. She gets a good dry food mixed with whatever people food we have around - plus a daily puppacino from Starbucks. We have her on previcox and adequine for her joints. She has some bad days occasionally but really seems no where near being ready to go - she simply has too many pupachinos yet to live for.

·
Administrator
20,646 Posts
You are doing very well ssigman, My Amy is now fast approaching 15. Like yours she is as deaf as a post. But she knows routines, so is never late for dinner! ;)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Oh it’s definitely nothing other than luck! All Choccies - Lost first lab at 6 - cancer. Second lab at 8 - cancer, third lab (love of my life) at 5 - sudden heart attack. Fourth lab at 12 - heart failure, fifth lab at 14 - breast cancer. Have a gorgeous chocolate boy now who’ll be 16 on 4th July 🤞🏼❤.

·
Administrator
20,646 Posts
Sadly I lost Amy in February, just 2 weeks short of her 15th birthday. She was certainly the oldest of any of mine. I retired her from work at 12 years old. She still came out with me and supervised the young dogs working. She was the one on the left.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I was talking to someone yesterday who was asking how old my dogs are. When I told him Gus was 13 now he said "hopefully you will have him around for a few more months". I was a but taken aback as although I know it's a good age for a lab I'm sure I've heard of older labs.

It got me wondering what age a lab can live to and I thought where better to ask than here. Who has the oldest lab - come on give me some hope for old Gus!

Norma
We just lost our Ruby at 15 years 3 months. You may have a long time yet. She was a fox red and now we have a puppy at 16 weeks, also a fox red.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just had my angel sent off to the big sleep today. She was a black lab - Saffy, aged 17 yrs and 3 months old. I like to think she lived as long as she did because she was well cared for and well loved. In the end, she was weeing and pooing in her bed and became disinterested in get out of it. He back legs were wasting away and she was losing weight. Steady weight of 28kgs, end weight of 19kgs. I felt like a monster sending her with her daddy to the vet, but I know it was the best thing for her. My heart is breaking.
I know exactly how you feel and how your heart is breaking but it was her time and she told you that. RIP Saffy

41 - 52 of 52 Posts