Labradors Forums banner

21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,128 Posts
_Mary_ said:
I thik Labs and other animals are like us, they all live for different spans, sadly some get taken far too young but others go on well past their natural lifespan :)
This is true.

I have been very lucky, my dogs have all lived to a good old age.

These are the dogs I have had since I was born -

Skipper (Heinz57) 16
Jamie 16 (Jack Russell)
Boogie (Manchester terrier/Border Collie) 19
Callum (Cavalier Spaniel) 14
Gavin (Cavalier Spaniel) 15 in July and still a happy old pooch - soon to have a bit of a surprise in the shape of a (black lab puppy bundle) sister!!

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
How wonderful to hear about all these oldies, we have had so many sad awful stories recently it's good to know.

So sorry to hear about Saffy, she looks like she was a darling.

Mandy

M

·
0 Posts
ksaffy said:
Just had my angel sent off to the big sleep today. She was a black lab - Saffy, aged 17 yrs and 3 months old
So sad for you, but what a long and happy life she had and is now running pain free.

Sleep tight Saffy

Jayne xx

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have only just found this forum,i saw your question and thought id reply. We have a lab called sid, he is 16 years and 6 months :). He is abit wobbly on his legs but other than that hes great.

·
Administrator
20,604 Posts
My youngest was also my first, died at around 12.75yo. All my others died sometime in their 13th year. I did think for a long time that Beth would get to 14,she was out with me helping me take a gundog training class only about a month before she died, but the cancer moved so fast. . . . . . . At the moment Amy is 10.5yo and did a full season picking up with me last year.

Make every minute that's given special, because we never know now many minutes there are left.

The clock of life is wound but once,
And no man has the power
To tell just when the hands will stop
At late or early hour.

Regards, John

·
Premium Member
1,527 Posts
My eldest will be 10 years old next month, and I am keeping all crossed I have many more years with her, I treasure every minute with the Indie bear. :)

·
Administrator
20,604 Posts
Only middle age yet, Amy, at 10 years old completed a full season work picking up last season. Unfortunately health problems, (me) mean she is unlikely to get out this season, but she's using her talent helping me to train Chloe.

John :)

Amy working last January

Assisting with Chloe's training

·
Registered
2 Posts
My Chocolatd lab is 15.5

I got my dog for a gentleman who was going away to war back in 2001 when the world trade centers went down. I got him at 6 months old, he climbed up in my truck and had the look that said, "YOU ARE MY MASTER, I am going with you", since then, He has stood by me thick and thin. A divorce. A new raltionship of 8 years and now singe. He is a very motivating for me to get up and stay busy as I am 50. He's has only been to his normal scheduled vet appts for shots and tick control. I had one emergency that was a false positive for BLOAT. In which he was just constipated.

Long story short, I let mt Disabled Brother, who went out of the navy at 19.5 years on Disability. He has been wtih my brother for the past year as I traveled 100%. He is now 15 and 1/2, still eats apples, blueberries, cranberries, peanut butter, almonds and 1/2 of quality holistic food two times a day. I am very proud to say that his diet has contributed to his health, as well as keeping him as a house dog and not over exercising him.

He is an english style (shorter leg, and smalle) than a traditional lab, which in my opinion have been over breed. Anyway, I have attached some recent photos. Good luck to all you lab owners out there, feed them good food and small exercise a couple of times a day seems to be the trick.

Got to be one of the best breeds around to have as a pet, with children around, single or even a family. Gets long with everyone. I have attached some pics

·
Administrator
20,604 Posts
At one time the record for oldest dog was held by a Labrador at 24 years old. But personally, my youngest was my Mandy who died at 12 and a bit and my oldest was Beth who was a couple of weeks short of 14. But if I remember rightly, according to a survey for the KC the average for a Labrador is around 12 years and 9 months.

Regards, John

21 - 40 of 52 Posts