Labradors Forums banner

What Type Of Lead Do You Use For Your Lab?

• A flexi lead

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Halti

• Gentle leader

• Chain

• Leather lead

• Nylon Lead

• Canny Collar

• A coupled lead

• Other

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

How do you all get along with all the different types of dog leads there are in the shops today?

Are there any that are more helpful than others?

Which ones work for you & your lab?

I've attached a poll. :wink:

Many Thx

Julie

Sorry peeps - forgot the harness & the gundog slip lead! Just select other if you could - thx :wink:

·
Registered
880 Posts
although vogue has a gentle leader and a halti and richey has a lupi, he refuses to wear a halti, he's such a wuss!

Anna

·
Registered
7,556 Posts
Hi Julie - we use a halti for Shadow, and have done ever since he was about 6 months old. He does still pull, but at least its easily manageable and Liz can quite happily walk him. The only downside is that my arms no longer look like Sylvester Stallones - more like Sylvester McCoy's!! :lol:

·
Registered
7,736 Posts
Tilly has a Halti, she still pulls like a train but at least I can return from walks with two matching, correct length arms !

·
Registered
8,784 Posts
I had a hand made leather collar and lead made for ben and they are great. When we go to the beach I use a flexi lead as he can't go off the lead to much so this lets him have a little bit of freedom.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
We use Nylon leads and collars with both of ours - the leads have padded ends so they are comfy to hold!

Charlie is perfect on a lead so just has him collar but Izzie is not good so walks with a canny collar.....

Although, we are lucky that where we live they are only on leads for about 2 mins until we get into the woods then they are off and running on their own! :D

·
Administrator
20,705 Posts
I was very suprised that a "Gundog Slip" lead was not amongst the choices! Those of us who work our dogs use them because they are easy to slip in a hurry and also do not need a collar, therefore reducing the risk of the dog getting hung up if entering cover.

Regards, John

·
Registered
16,475 Posts
Hershey has a Harness and it walkson it really well its a fight to get him in cos he wants to get out as quick as possibel heheh :lol:

·
Registered
16,892 Posts
hi julie

rosze just has the normal collar and lead as she is great on that (but im just waiting to see of she starts the pulling hopefully not..lol)

brandy well she was on halti body harness then moved onto a wider thicker body harness and now she is on the halti head collar/gentleleader..which is great as she pulls like a steam train and this halti is great so will stick with that for a while

charlie normal lead and collar

S

·
0 Posts
I have an extendable lead which I hardly every use anymore, mainly use either a pony leading rope or a rope slip lead on Corrie

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Hi all

Smudge has a Walkeeze Harness and whilst I appreciate the concept of it (in that it does not pull his neck), he is still a nightmare on it! Mind you, I took him out on his collar and lead the other weekend (just for ease really) and I nearly came home in tears, it was so frustrating!

We bought him a Gentle Leader a few weeks ago, but I must confess that we have not tried it yet! I have been meaning to get him used to it by putting it on him around the house for a week beforehand, but keep forgetting! I must get round to it though, because I'm hoping (please!) that it will help out a lot with his pulling. It's getting to be a real problem now because he is getting bigger and heavier and I find it really difficult to manage.

I have taken to putting him in the car and driving to somewhere just so I can let him off as the nearest field is quite a walk away and we're both shattered by the time we get there!

All the best,
Nic
X

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I use a rope slip lead too - so clicked other.

Nic, to get him used to having a gentle leader on, first get him used to having it on his nose. Take a treat in your hand, and offer it to him through the nose piece. As he takes the treat slip the nose piece on for a few seconds, then take it off. Keep doing this and after quite a few times put a little pressure on the nose piece (not hard, just so he will know it's there), taking it straight off after he has had the treat. After a while of doing this he will get used to having something on his face, and you can then proceed to fastening it behind his ears (treating him for this too). It's a much nicer way to introduce having it on and they will accept it much more readily.
regards
Jenny :)
btw - hope it made sense - pm me if it didn't :)

·
Registered
12,175 Posts
made sense to me jenny as that was the way i did it with max. took a good week of little and often. then when i thought he was comfy with it i walked him round the garden a few times before taking him out on it.
now he just puts his nose up ready for it to slip on!
if he does play up i just put it on the table and walk away. he soon quietens down as he knows that no halti no walk.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Well, its VERY early days yet for our walking but on the recommendation of puppy class, we got a halti harness (not an actual halti) and double ended lead. So far it seems great.

It feels much kinder than Holly straining at collar and at least she isnt making horrible rasping noises. She also doesnt try to ly on her back and bite the lead anymore.

However as i say its very early days, and she's got a lot more growing to do!! Also its hard to know if she would have settled a bit anyway - but i do think this is a handy one for pups!

Shelley

·
Premium Member
8,834 Posts
After many false starts, we ended up with a halti and it has worked miracles. Coco's not always overly keen on it and wriggles sometimes (we had to buy the safety link) but she is so much calmer and more relaxed wearing it. At agility I can leave her tied up to a post (while we set up), attached by her flat collar with har just wearing the halti but it not actually attached and she sits quietly. Without it she squeals and cries for her Mummy!

I've just invested in a padded version for pooches with sensitive schnozzes to see if it make a difference. Ordered it online on 12th from a company in Wales (www.dogstuff.co.uk) and it arrived in France this morning (15th). Very impressive service - I'd highly recommend them!

·
Registered
13,082 Posts
Corbie currently has a nylon lead and collar but when he's fully grown I'll probably get him a leather lead and collar.

He has a car harness which I will also use this on long walks when he's old enough instead of the normal collar.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts