Labradors Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like some advice on what to feed Leon, our 11 week old puppy. Currently he is on purina beta puppy. It's ok but our little pup doesn't half stink on it if you know what I mean!! Also sometimes his poo's can be a bit soft which is a mare when it comes to scooping it up.

Our dog trainer has recommended food by the 'natural dog food company' as it is free from all additives and nasties etc. However, today we were in a pet supply store and the owner advised us that these so called 'natural' dog foods were a gimmick and it's best to go with breed specific Royal Canin. Was this just a hard sell do you think or is there any truth in it?

I really would be grateful for any thoughts on this as we really want to do best by our growing pup.

·
Registered
10,508 Posts
Your trainer is right in as far as you do want a food which is free from any artificial additives, colourings and preservatives. Dogs do not need these, and there can be an adverse effect on their behaviour. Choose one that has meat meal rather than meat derivatives topping the ingredients list.

There are a few brands which should fit this bill, including Skinners, Burns, Arden Grange, Denes. I have had a quick look at the Natural Dog Food Company. At first glance it looks OK.

I wouldn't agree with the pet shop owner. They may be on a mission to shift more Royal Canin. I think that it is the other way around, and foods that claim to be breed specific are a gimmick made up by the manufacturers in order to make a few more bucks. Just my opinion though.

Your trainers advice is best, I think.

·
Registered
15,284 Posts
Did the pet shop owner sell the natural dog food company food?

I don't think buying pet foods without additives is a gimmick. I buy pet foods (Naturediet and Arden Grange) for my dogs which are free of additives. Ideally I would feed a natural raw/home-cooked diet but haven't quite made that leap yet for various reasons.

As for what is best, you will get many different answers as people have their own idea of what they want to feed, but I feed the above and choose to feed something without additives/BHA & BHT and I particularly like Naturediet, which is a moist food. I wouldn't personally want to feed solely a dry food.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
We also feed a mixture of Naturediet and James Wellbeloved Adult Lamb and Vegetable. Gillie had horrible poos on JWB puppy kibble and also got very scratchy on anything containing cereal. The current arrangement seems to be working really well.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
I'm using Chudleys Complete Puppy food for Kim, Getting it online as no where stocks it. :roll: I finding this ok on solid poos. It's got 29% protein.

Regards
Pam

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. Just re read all the info on that natural dog food and it makes a lot of sense.Royal Canin is just blinding me with science and, thinking about it, my cat also had problems on that brand. I have just read an article naming purina as one of the companies selling rendered meat pet food (meat made from animal by products unfit for human consumption and even euthanized cats and dogs!)

Urgh, time for a change me thinks.

·
Registered
7,572 Posts
My dogs are doing very well on Arden Grange. I had to change from another brand due to supply problems, so chose an ethical/additive-free food at a reasonable price.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts