Labradors Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering where is a good place (clean, shallow, no strong current etc) to take a Lab swimming, preferably in the Midlands?

I have found Dovedale in Derbyshire is good (dog-friendly), although tends to be very busy with people too!

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
hmmm i originate from the Midlands, near Wolverhampton to be precise, but cant remember many dog friendly places. Is chasewater over in Cannock Chase dog friendly ?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Can't help with the Midlands I'm afraid, but for anyone to the West of London I know of Black Park and Virginia Water.

Black Park is between London and Slough, adjacent to Pinewood Studios. There is a car park which charges £2.00 but you can park in one of the lay-bys (?) if there is room. It takes about 1hr 30 mins to walk around the park. The park is very well maintained (with the help of the car parking money) and the paths do not get very muddy even in the middle of Winter. Its a lovely place to go in winter because the dogs can race around in the mud in an attempt to turn themselves into Black Labs and then clean in the lake which, conveniently, is next to the car park.

I have only been to Virginia water three times since it is much further than Black Park. It is part of Windsor Great Park. The car part there costs £4.00 but, once again, you can park in lay-bys. IIRC all the paths are made of tarmac so you don't need boots. The lake is very large and the park is massive and you might even meet some corgis.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Are you kidding !

Let your lab swim anywhere that isn't full of chemicals/sewage or likely to contain sharp submerged junt etc.

Every little pond, stream, river, lake. Hell get a paddling pool and let it swim in that.

The more places and conditins your dog swims in the better it will become.

You need to be sure that you train your dog to swim to you and practice getting it out of the water in different circumstances. You must always be able to reach down - lie on your front if required - and grab your dogs collar (make sure it is a strong thick one - not one of these thin rope types) to help it get out of places with a vertical side, and get it used to pushing its neck against your hand to create the friction to clamber out of the water.

Honestly - unless your lab is an old gal/fella with little swimming experience, there is hardly anywhere you cant let your dog swim under your supervision in the right waeather conditions.

They can sometimes over estimate their capability - usually in their excitement to get into the water - in fast running rivers etc or leap off ledges in places where thy cant easily get out on their own - but if you are vigilant and are prepared to dive in if need be - your dog and you will have a great time almost anywhere there is water. Be careful in the sea and don't let your dog play on rocks at the seaside in bad weather or in places you dont know the currents.

Your lab is a natural strong swimmer and they learn their own limitations pretty quickly. Let them explore their limits without being too protective.

Dont be precious about keeping that hound clean- let em get muddy as hell, invest in a good seat cover etc. No need for them to swim in distilled water !

·
Registered
124 Posts
labadmin said:
hmmm i originate from the Midlands, near Wolverhampton to be precise, but cant remember many dog friendly places. Is chasewater over in Cannock Chase dog friendly ?
Well it used to be! My uncle used to breed and train grey hounds and we used to take them running over the chase.

Andyslack, i'm from Birmingham. I am also interested to find some decent, dog friendly, areas with water.
Not long ago (before i got my lab) me and my partner went to Bakewell for the day and that was very dog friendly! The dogs are free to swim in the river. It seems popular with dog owners anyway!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts