Labradors Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I have a 6 month old lab x vizsla, who we picked up yesterday. Can I ask for advice on what to do with him at night? Some say crate others say in with us.

He is toilet trained.

We were advised to crate train, but it’s going to take him time to get used to it before we leave him in it over night, so what do we do with him at night until then? He won’t even sit in it, let alone sleep.

Thanks!

·
Administrator
20,490 Posts
There is no compulsion to use a crate. I never used one for my first 40 years of dogs. (There was no such thing when I started in dogs.) I only started using one after two pups, one after the other ate my kitchen floor!! So domestic harmony necessitated using a crate.

All I can suggest is to make the crate a nice place to be. I feed my pups in the crate, give then treats in the crates and the like. get down on the floor with a handful of treats with your pup. Make him aware of the treats then toss one near to the door of the crate. If he is happy to go and eat it toss the next right up to the open door. The next just inside, but close enough to the door that he can pick it from outside. Gradually toss each piece slightly further until eventually he has to actually step inside with all four feet to eat it.

Once he's been inside I start putting the food inside, leaving the door open to start with. After a few meals like that I start just quietly pushing the door shut while they are eating, not bolting the door so they can push it open, so they do not feel trapped. I only bolt the door shut when they are quite happy with being in there.

·
Premium Member
8,783 Posts
John has just about covered everything! I’d just add perhaps covering it with a blanket so it doesn’t look like a cage and makes it dark and cosy too. I’m a big advocate, all mine have crates and still go in them for feeding, even my nearly 14 year old hot foots it to her crate (or box as I call it) when grub’s up. “In yer box”...they all dash to their respective crates 😂😂

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks so much for all this advice. What did you do at night while your dog was learning to like his crate?

·
Premium Member
8,783 Posts
Must admit, mine didn’t have much choice, they were in their crates overnight. I have the advantage of crates close together so puppies soon settled. You could try putting a crate in your bedroom so you’re close by maybe?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts