Labradors Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In memory of poppy i would like to collect for my local labrador rescue centre but dont know if there still is one near me. I live in Wakefield, West Yorkshire. I think there used to be one in leeds?

I run a goth night in Whitby 3 times a year and collect for cats protection too, in the last 2 years i have collected £1,700+ for them. Last April i started to collect for a local dog rescue for street dogs close to me and the guy was chuffed to bit. I also sent some euros over to Gran Canaria in Spain to help a dog and cat rescue centre there. Goths are so wonderful at parting with their cash as they are ALL animal lovers.

My website is www.sexysunday.co.uk i know the name sounds dodgy but it's all tongue in cheek, my other night i am doing is www.allaboutnewyearseve.co.uk Theres a pet pawtraits gallery on the sunday site in the gallery link which has a loveuly puppy pic in of pop.

I am beside myself today. My hubbys first day back at work and the house is oh so quiet. He would like a pup tomorrow but i feel it is disrespecting her memory but then i feel i need to fill the silence, but will i grieve properly, but then poppy would want me to give all my love to another pup. Then if we decide to get one we thought should we get 2 so we aren't left without one again......... oh i just dont know what to do - HELP!

Love Hazelx

·
Registered
12,175 Posts
hi hazel
its so good to have you back with us. you have been in all our thoughts since poppy went to rainbow bridge. poppy had a wonderful life with you and im sure that it would be her dearest wish to see you make another pups life so complete. no one will ever replace poppy in your heart or thoughts but a new pup might just ease the pain a little and poppy would be guiding you all the way.
max sends his auntie hazel a great big cuddleas im sure all the other pups do.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Hi Hazel
It's good to hear from you - we've all been thinking of you.

What a wonderful idea, collecting for your local rescue - a real tribute to Poppy. I have sent you a pm with a few contacts.

I'm so sorry you are feeling so low. They leave such a big whole in our hearts. Only time can really heal it. The memories never fade, but there will come a time when you will be able to think of Poppy and smile. Do give yourself time to grieve, then before long, you will know the time is right for a new pup.
sending lots of (((((hugs))))))
Jenny

·
Registered
16,892 Posts
hi hazel xxxx

I am beside myself today. My hubbys first day back at work and the house is oh so quiet. He would like a pup tomorrow but i feel it is disrespecting her memory but then i feel i need to fill the silence, but will i grieve properly, but then poppy would want me to give all my love to another pup

you are not disrespecting poppy at all when tessa died i was so upset it is very hard to explain but in my heart i knew i had to have another dog as you have noticed the house is so very empty (even though i still had brandy and charlie) 3 months later i got rosze she has filled that gapping hole in my heart and tessa is mention every single day in our house she has not been forgotten at all but having rosze has helped me with my greiving..

everyone deals with it differently some say they will never get another dog others need to get one as soon as possible its all up to you hazel only you can decide when you are ready to let another lab into your life xxxxxx

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
Hi hazel

Glad your are back on the forum again,we have all been thinking about you. What a wonderful idea to raise money for the less fortunate labs, I think the labrador club should be able to put you intouch with your nearest lab rescue, good luck in your fund raising.

I'm sure in time you will have another pup you yourself will know when the time is right.

margaret

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Hi Hazel,

It's so lovely to have you back with us, as everyone else has said - we have all been thinking of you and wondering how you are doing.

Collecting for your local lab rescue is such a nice idea, i wish you every success with it. I am going to look at your websites now. :wink:

You've been through alot in the past week or so Hazel, i know it's not much of a consolation at the moment, but time does heal. Your memories of Poppy will stay in your heart forever.

Hope today goes ok for you, i'm sure it will pass quickly and your hubby will soon be home with you. We're all here if you need to chat.

Bye for now,

Julie

P.S Have also sent you a PM.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Hi Hazel

Nice to hear from you. I have sent you a PM with a couple of links in and some bits and pieces.

Hope to hear from you soon

Take care

Michaela

·
Registered
7,556 Posts
Hi Hazel,

As Clair said, everyone is different. When Gillie, my previous Lab was put to sleep, it was July and we didn't get Shadow until May the next year - it just didn't feel right (to me) to replace him so quickly, but Liz - who had only known him a few years wanted to get another one before me, and it was because she badgered me into looking that we saw Shad. If left to my own devices i'm not sure how long it would have been before i got another Lab. All I know is that getting Shad was the best decision ever. He is so different from Gillie. I was worried that Shad would 'replace' Gillie, but nothing could be further from the truth, as Some of Gillie's lineage is in Shadow's pedigree too. - all i can say is that only you'll know when the time is right. Hope that helps some,

·
Registered
669 Posts
We've all been thinking of you. I think what you're doing is a wonderful thing.

Everyone is different and every dog is different. To get another one wouldnt be a replacement at all. I would say take a little time to grieve and come to terms with your loss. Everyone handles grief differently and no doubt sooner or later a new bouncy lab will be just what you need AND what a homeless lab needs too.

You're not alone everyone is here to keep you occupied and wipe a few tears away. Most of us understand what you're going through whether its a human or our beloved labs - we've lost a family member and although time heals there isn't anything anyone can say to take the pain away - no matter how much we wish we could.

All we can say, as everyone else has said, we're thinking of you and we're here for you!

Take care
Amanda

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
HI Hazel
NIce to have you back on the Forum. I am sure Jenny has sent you the right contacts for Lab. Rescue and that is such a lovely idea all the Rescues need so much money to enable them to help Labs in need.
I am sure you need to grieve for Poppy, but have you thought of giving a home to a Rescue Lab. instead of going for a puppy, It is just a thought some people can and others can't, but there are so many deserving dogs who need a forever home. But you need to be ready for another dog. Regards Meg

1 - 10 of 10 Posts