Labradors Forums banner

21 - 40 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
How is the weather in England this time of year?
Hi Again Dee,

England is cold, cold, cold!

Hasn't been a particularly good summer weather wise in the UK, and now the nights are getting darker, and alot colder. We are in France travelling at the moment, have been for 4 months, so we've missed much of the UK weather. I get my weather reports from my family 8)

·
Registered
286 Posts
We live in a Mississippi River town in the State of Iowa in the United States. Moved here about 18 months ago from the Toledo, Ohio area where I had lived for almost 45 years.

When we lived around Toledo I would walk the Labs in a woods owned by the township government. I called it the hunded acre wood. It was less than two miles from the house and not many people walked there and it was an interesting place to be. The dogs could sniff to their hearts content.

We really have not been many places since we moved out to Iowa. Misty can't walk real well any more and I will not leave her home and take Jack for a walk.

Dog parks are being built here in the states. They are mostly fenced areas with some park benches and running water where dogs can run free. There is a small one across the river about 15 miles from the house we have used twice, and last year we joined a dog training club that had a small training yard and park. Misty got sick after being in each place and we have not gone back to either place since.

Misty's immune system has been compromised by the Cushing's disease and we believe the infections she got came from people bring young, unvaccinated, and unwormed puppies to the dog parks.

This year the summer was not nearly as hot as last year and the weather the past month has been cool and sunny. we hope to have some time to find an enjoyable patch of wood to walks the fur kids in soon.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Misty's immune system has been compromised by the Cushing's disease and we believe the infections she got came from people bring young, unvaccinated, and unwormed puppies to the dog parks.

This year the summer was not nearly as hot as last year and the weather the past month has been cool and sunny. we hope to have some time to find an enjoyable patch of wood to walks the fur kids in soon.
Hi Labdad,

It's a shame when this happens isn't it, i understand that there might not be many places to take young puppies which are safe and secure, but it would be nice if their owners considered the well being of other dogs wouldn't it. How is Misty?

·
Registered
13,082 Posts
I live near Kinross in Scotland - I used to live on the south coast of England, near Portsmouth until a year ago. Relocated here with my fiance (who's Scottish but he didn't think he'd ever move back north after being dragged south by his parents when he was 15!).

There's no shortage of walks here for doggies so I can't wait until I hopefully get my lab (12 days until they're due to be born!). We live in a village surrounded by countryside and hills.

We always walk in the mountains so it will be nice, when our pup is old enough to be able to go on long walks, to take him with us (provided the terrain will be suitable for doggy paws). Until he's old enough then it will be along by our local river and fields and stay with my future in-laws for the day (who also relocated back up here last year :lol: :shock: ) if we need to do a mountain! There's also lots of nice long, deserted sandy beaches up here to run along.

And I'm looking forward to playing in the snow with a pup!

Karen

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Hi Karen,

Scotland is lovely. I am originally from Scotland years & years ago. My dad was in the RAF so never really lived there. Now inSouth Yorkshire.

Had a week in Ayrshire last summer & hoping to take Kane for 2 weeks next summer. Country side is amazing with plenty of walks.... 8)

·
Registered
13,082 Posts
Hi Brian

Yes, I love the place and would never move back to the south coast again. My fiance wanted to see the highlands as, even though he'd lived in Scotland half his life, he'd never been there. We ended up having 3 holidays there from Oct 2002 to June 2003! After the last one, which was with his parents as they had just come back up, we decided within a couple of weeks to move. Now every weekend is like a holiday!

The move was incredibly stressful, but worth it! ... Almost as stressful as waiting for chocolate lab puppies to be born :D

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi
I am from south lincolnshire. I take my labradors to either hunstanton or bawsey pits, just outside Kings Lynn. They have a lovely swim at both places. It's not normally long before we have an audience watching our five black labs fetching training dummies from the water! 8)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hi
I live on the Wirral, which is brilliant for coastal walks with nice soft sand in most areas ie West Kirby and Thursaston.
Also some brilliant country parks and open spaces. Paddy meets his doggy mates on the sports field in bromborough and has some great games of chase etc.

Pity it gets dark so early now as there are few places with decent lights to let him of the lead, and I can,t see him in the dark.
My wife thinks we should get him one of those collars with flashing lights on but I think they look a bit gay.

What does everone else think?

BN

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hi - I live in Durham in the beautiful north east of England - anyone looking for somewhere great to go with their labs is County Durham/Northumberland - there are miles and miles of deserted beaches which are excellent to tire out a lively lab, theres also some very impressive castles along the coastline too. We also have the Durham dales which are still quite undiscovered, and around the Hadrian's Wall area has some great walks for dogs - the pubs are all quite dog friendly too!

We have a flashy collar for our lab, as she's black we have no chance of seeing her in the dark when off the leader! Don't get the ones that are like a keyring and attach to their collar, Molly had her teeth through hers within minutes!

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
Hi, I live in the country just south of Lockerbie. I have 6 Labs. I show and train them, I train two as field trialers although they are from show stock and show them as well. I also train in obedience right up to KC gold level. Tia has just got her PAT (Pets as Therapy) certificate. I also do Coefficient percetages analysis on inbreeding in Labs. That is my hobby not my work :D
Kay

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Hi Bradleysmum
We used to live in South Oxfordshire, in a place called Goring On Thames! There are some fantastic walks around there,
My brother has recently moved to Goring on Thames, in fact we're going to be spending Christmas there, so we'll be able to work off Christmas dinner on some of those walks. :D

·
Registered
41 Posts
We are in Norfolk, on the Holkham estate so there's plenty of good walking around us! The beach is at the end of the road and we live in the actual park and so have the deer as neighbours.
Am dividing my time between Norfolk and Sheffield at the moment so I would be grateful for any pointers to good walks in the area as Jet is always keen to get out and about! :lol:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hey Lablover,
I didnt get to see any of the Championship but I heard good things about it. We only have one dog at the moment and although her lineage is good (all field trial winners and nominees), she is more of a family orientated dog than a worker. She may go out on beats when she is older and listens to me more! :lol:

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
As we are thinking of organising a big 'meet' sometime later this year, it would be good to know where everyone is from, so if you get chance and haven't replied to this thread, please drop us a line.

Many Thx

Julie

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Big Meet

Bradleysmum said:
As we are thinking of organising a big 'meet' sometime later this year, it would be good to know where everyone is from, so if you get chance and haven't replied to this thread, please drop us a line.

Many Thx

Julie
Hi Julie

That sounds like a wonderful idea! I had a look at the member list the other day as I was curious to see where people were from but noted that quite a few members hadn't filled in their location.

Whilst we are located in Cambridge, UK, we also have family in Kent and West Yorkshire (we're a bit spread out!) so count those areas as our locations too.

All the best,
Nicola.

·
Registered
44 Posts
hi tilly is now 7 months old and i started taking her for walks when she was about 4 months old, she goes for 10 mins in the morning and 20 mins at night! I have heard you have to be careful up to a year old as there bones are still growing and too much exercise can be damaging.

Im not sure how much of that is true. It does them the worls of good to burn off a bit of energy. im from WEst yorkshire, wakefield.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Hi Tilly

My partner Chris is from Wakefield. His parents live in Horbury. We love it up there and if our job situation were different, we would move up like a shot! Cambridge is a lovely city but East Anglia is a tad flat compared to Yorkshire! lol! I'm sure there would be some nicer walks for little Smudgey up there!

All the best,
Nicola.

21 - 40 of 62 Posts