Labradors Forums banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought as there are a few more people in here now it would be interesting to know where everyone is from. Where some good walks are near them...Have they got any favourites?

I am from Doncaster, South Yorkshire. At the moment Kane is a bit young (12weeks) so he went for his first walk yesterday to Cusworth Hall. A place not too far that has a nice open piece of land where you can stop & have a play. We are going again today, only his second outing :D

Alfie our lab who died in June used to love going to Clumber Park, a National Trust property near Worksop. It has plenty of land for walking with a nice lake to walk around. Near the Lake it could get busy but the more you head away the quieter it gets so that at some times you can be walking & not see a soul.

We are both looking forward to Kane getting older so that he too can enjoy it....

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
well due to Julie and my lifestyle, we cant really contribute well to this thread, unless anyone wants to know any dog friendly areas in France :)

·
Registered
129 Posts
hi we also have just started taking macy out she is aslo 12 weeks old on tuesday
find it very funny as she trys to catch up to suzy our 18 month old lab
anyway iam from hull East Yorkshire
8O

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hi we also have just started taking macy out she is aslo 12 weeks old on tuesday
find it very funny as she trys to catch up to suzy our 18 month old lab
Hi doggylover,

I have just been reading somewhere that you shouldn't take your puppy out for walks until they are at least 6 months. I know we used to take our other lab for nice walks before then.

Have you heard anything about ages for taking them for walks. It seems a shame for him not to interact with other dogs & get used to walking.

How long a walk do you take her for? We only take Kane for short walks just now. Stop & have a play. Let him chill out. We were looking to increase it gradually.

What do you think?

·
Registered
129 Posts
hi,Kanesdad right we let macy out for about a 20 mins walk but she alwasy with Suzy our 18 month old Dog who in some respect took on the mother role so i take her on to beverley westwood most nights and there plenty of other dogs on there but she seems to intreact with them ok
she had all her injections now and i feel personal that if there under supervision then i see no danger but saying this if it is going to harm her in anyway then i would stop walking her but macy seems to now be very combertable with the outside world and she is now 100% toilet trained thanks to the older ldog Suzy so i see no danger in letting her go for a very short walk i normal have to carry her back to the car
anyway i hope this helps

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Alright doggylover,

Kane seems to enjoy his walks & I can already see his confidence around other dogs growing. First time he met another dog he was very submissive but now he is quite confident.

Plus it gets us out as well. It is amazing the amount of people that you stop & talk to when you have a dog :D

I am looking forward to some nice long walks when he is a bit older

·
Registered
78 Posts
We are in West Oxfordshire :)

A guide to how much you should walk your pup is to add 5 mins for every month of the pup's life, so at twelve weeks 15 mins walk is fine. Anymore and you could harm them as they are developing and any over excercise could harm there development and health of the bones and joints !

You can still play and train as well so that will keep the pup stimulated and will wear him out both physically and mentally !

HTH

Lucy
xx

·
Registered
16 Posts
we are in Cumbria on the edge of the lake district

dont have any trouble with where to walk as we have a 500 acre farm so i can please myself where i go :p

·
Registered
16 Posts
at the moment we have 8 labrdors and a border terrier. i will have to put my info on the introductions i did it a few days back but it didnt apper it hs vanished :roll:

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
we are in Cumbria on the edge of the lake district

dont have any trouble with where to walk as we have a 500 acre farm so i can please myself where i go
It must be really nice to be able to walk where ever you want.

Also the Lake District is a lovely area. I am looking forward to when Kane is older (he's only a pup) & hopefully taking him there.

at the moment we have 8 labrdors and a border terrier
We will probably be looking for a friend for Kane when he is older as well...Think 8 might be a bit too much though :roll:

·
Registered
16 Posts
9 dogs are no harder work than 3 (i lie well :lol: )
they get walked in 3 batches at the moment the pups then get 10 minuts training each on there own. we have a field right next o the house which we have rigged a floodight on so they can stll be out in the dark training in winter.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Find it a handful with just Kane at the moment... :evil:

Wouldn't change anything though. Had a lab who died suddenly at the end of June. Kane is a whole different personality. Very head strong..

Would like to get him a buddy eventually though.

It must be fun with all the dogs running about. Seeing as you have the room. I wouldn't be able to move with that many..Kane seems to fill the place at the moment

:p

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Hi Moosesmummy,

We are in West Oxfordshire
We used to live in South Oxfordshire, in a place called Goring On Thames! There are some fantastic walks around there, i bet it's lovely where you are also...plenty of hills to walk up and down :p :) :wink:

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
9 dogs are no harder work than 3 (i lie well )
they get walked in 3 batches at the moment the pups then get 10 minuts training each on there own. we have a field right next o the house which we have rigged a floodight on so they can stll be out in the dark training in winter.

HIya Twink,

You sound like you have it so organised, i just wanted to say i admire you! I know how hard it is looking after one pup, our Bradley - i would love to have more labs in the future, i will then probably be coming to you for some advice on how to manage my days! lol.

Just out of a matter of interest, what training do you do with your pups in their training sessons? We are currently training Bradley the basic commands, but can be quite difficult. How do you fancy sharing some training tips with us in the 'traning' section... would be great to get some advice from people with loads of experience... :D

Bye for now :wink:

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just thought I would bump this to the top.... 8)

It seems awfully quiet in here today! Has anyone got any nice walks in the Peak District/Yorkshire Dales that are dog friendly?

·
Registered
61 Posts
It's pretty gloomy/drizzly right now but still early ( 9 am) ..

Starting to get colder now and the leaves are changing into their fall colours! It's about 5 celcius but suppose to go up to 16 celcius and sunny .. So that is a nice fall day! :)

The fall is very pretty but followed by another long winter ...:(

I would love to go to the UK and Europe and will someday. My husband's Mom was born and raised in England and came to Canada before he was born. Curious about his Mom's place of birth he went over when he was younger and lived there for about 6 months. He loved it ... like walking through our history book he said! :)

How is the weather in England this time of year?

1 - 20 of 62 Posts