Labradors Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Choccie Lab, Winston, is now 15 months old.

My partner and I have done everything by the book with him and he is extremely well behaved at home, on the lead and off the lead when we are out on the mountain bikes with him. He does nearly everything we tell him and has done since a very young age.

The problem is other dogs. No matter how much we both try if he sees another dog he just wants to run off after it and completely ignore us. It's extremely frustrating and I'm getting fed up of people looking at me as if I have no control over him. I don't know what to do. I've read books, checked websites and I've tried everything they suggest. He just does not come back when we call. We take him to the park to try and get him used to seeing other dogs. We're training him every day and he knows his place in the pack at home etc.

What can I do? We both love Winston to bits and want to do right by him by giving him the best possible training we can give him.

Tonight was the last straw he ran after a teeny-tiny dog and to our suprise growled at it and acted aggressively. Something that upset me tremendously as I've never seen this behavior in him before and nor do I want to see it again. The whole issue with other dogs is really starting to get me down.

Any help or advice is gratefully received :) I just want to know where I'm going wrong :(

Jayne & Chris

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
Have you thought about contacting a trainer for a one to one to help give you some tips?

sounds like you're doing all the right things but might just need a outsider opinion to help on his recall :D

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi there, Winston sounds fab and I admire the work you have done with him except my hope to prevent Rufus from doing this has just dwindled. If you have worked so hard with Winston for all this time I suppose I cant expect Rufus to stop doing this after only 7 weeks with us. I know how you feel, its so embarrassing when he just takes off across the park and the owner of 'the other dog' looks at us in disgust because we cant control our dog. All Rufus wants to do is chase and play and run with the other dog but if the other dog isn't interested this doesn't put him off! If you find a solution to this problem apart from a whole host of expensive dog training lessons I would be most grateful if you could share it. Good luck :) Stef & Rufus

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
I'd maybe suggest going along to local training classes. I'm not meaning expensive ones, just every day obedience, KC good citz awards etc. This would get him used to 'working' in an environment with lots of other dogs around him so he'd perhaps start to realise that seeing other dogs doesn't always equal play time. The class I go to costs £3, and one of the exercises we do most weeks is heeling our dogs past other dogs and distractions. I've found that's helped me anyway. I can now take her for a walk and walk her off-lead at heel past another dog if the other dog/owner isn't up for them having a hooly together. If the other owner is ok with them having a play, I can get her to sit and wait until I release her ("go play"). There was a time when I never thought we'd get to that stage.

·
Registered
5 Posts
This is the same with my dog cept it only when he is on the lead and he sees another dog he goes made for it and then other owners are like 'control him' but its hard to he just a different dog he just wants to play but sometimes he can walk past a dog and do nothing other times he goes made :/ it can be so embrassing and stressful walking him at times

1 - 5 of 5 Posts